ABU 507MKII Help!!!

stripey

Reaction score
I have just purchased the above today from Angling Direct and only just had the time to open the package,
going through all the bits i have come across some small lengths of material that resemble thin pipe cleaners,i guess that these are to stop the line from getting behind the spool which was a common problem with the old 506and 507 models,but i have no idea how to fit said pipe cleaners to spool, please Help asap, as i am hping to use the reel this coming weekend,
thanks in anticipation,
Stripey

mikench

Reaction score
These are chenille strips for going around the spool ! Check the spools they should be fitted which means those are spares! Beware they do come off but can be glued back on. Check the bottom of the spools for rough plastic swarf and file off! Quality control is lacking but I like this reel!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
This may help.

These are some of the spools from early modifications made by members of my late uncle's match group in consultation with Dave Plowman to the early ABU's. The chenile is somewhat worn on both top and bottom of the spools but the reels function very well indeed :)

IMG_7585.jpg

IMG_6573.jpg

GT56

Reaction score
Stripey

Sorry to go off the subject but I was thinking your chenille query has been clearly answered and was imagining your now going to put line on the spool.

And if so I wanted to pass on a word of caution from someone who struggled with an Abu closed reel when spooling up with line.

My early attempts were all a bit of disaster resulting in one tangle after another inside the reel when on the river bank.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along with some good advise on how to spool up.

But basically I wouldn't fill to the top of the spool with line as you normally would, as I believe to much line on the spool can cause problems and convinced this was my issue.

mikench

Reaction score
My antics today reported on the hdygo thread were with my Abu 507 which was faultless! It was paired with the Mach 111 xtra lite and I was very pleased with it!

To be honest I cannot remember how I filled the spools but I did not overfill them! I still struggle a little with the drag but that's me! Is more drag preventing line being taken by the fish? I blame pending senility!!!:witless::confused-new::noidea:

stripey

Reaction score
ThanksGT56,
i have not yet filled the spools ,but i will be doing so tomorrow, i will do then manually taking care not to overlap them, as i used to do with the old 506/507 models, i realise this takes longer than open faced reels, but you do not end up pulling out your hair [ not that i have much to pull out these days] at the river bank.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I used to spool mine up with just over 50 yards of line, never ha any trouble with it bedding in or coiling.
Put the line in a bucket of warm water to soften it, then I used to put it between pages of an Argos catalogue to keep taut
as I wound it on to the reel, when I judged I was about half way down a 100 yard spool I cut the line and job done.

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
As Markcw said. I only load my spools between 50 and 70 yards. Loading any more will cause tangles. This is the major complaint and why people that are not used to these reels slag them off. My first closed face was a 501 bought new then bought every new one that came within the range when they first came out. Brilliant reels for trotting and when the wind is up.

mikench

Reaction score
Stripey after you have filled a spool and before screwing on the first cowl, set the drag by adjusting the lever under the handle and pulling line by hand. It is at this position only that you can see and feel the drag. I would set it at minimum and tighten up when you have a fish on. Replace both cowls and away you go.

sis the roach

Reaction score
yes dont over fill the spool about 2.5mm below the spool rim . on the old abu 501 506 507 if you put the handle in the 50 clock position the spool is always in the optmum position the spool is out of the bell housing to max position the line peels off the spool better. when trotting i dont know about the new abu reel have not bought one looking at a 507 mk11