Which mono?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They say don’t discuss religion or politics, choice of mono must be a very close third!

Just for my curiosity and a bit of fun, a totally impractical question (or is it)?

If you could only have one make of mono to do ALL your fishing whether it’s float or leger, whether it’s carp, chub, barbel, or silvers,and that doesn’t mean a brand name such as Drennan that does multiple types of mono for different applications, just the one line!

What would it be?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I could just about get away with Maxima but would want different lines for hook lengths. I'd miss a decnt floating line though. Back 40 years ago I seemed to manage with Bayer Perlon for all my fishing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Different hook lengths accepted.:thumbs:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Gardner Hydroflo....which has even knocked my beloved Pro Gold off the top spot. It seems no less reliable, is just as well behaved and is thinner than PG for the same notional bs.

Reasonably cheap,good colour and comes on hugely convenient 300m spools.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is it really worth me saying which I would choose ?......

sam vimes

Reaction score
I couldn't tolerate just one line for everything. I want a genuine floating line and a genuine sinking line, and that's just for float fishing. A sinking/neutral line that I had to treat to make it float properly is not acceptable to me, neither is a floating/neutral line that takes any effort to sink (other than defeating surface tension).

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sensor or Maxima would be my choice.

Having not been fishing long my experience is limited but these two would be my choice through no other reason than familiarity, but which one?

I’ve used Sensor for the three years since I’ve returned to fishing but recently I had a conversation with my local tackle shop owner who is a Sensor hater and a Maxima lover (he does stock both) he says Maxima doesn’t coil like Sensor, I must admit I have suffered from that.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only use small reels, guess that doesn’t help regardless of which line.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only use small reels, guess that doesn’t help regardless of which line.

Sounds like you've got a bit of twist in your line, it can happen to all line.
You can place your reel on the deck, open the bail arm and walk off the amount you've been using (preferably in grass with a few inches or more of growth) and wind the line back onto the reel so it is combed through the grass. This should get rid of most of the twist and only takes a few moments to do.....and it's free :).
Failing that, just walk off the line and hold it between your finger and thumb and wind it back through your finger and thumb under slight tension, this will remove a lot of the twist also.
Give it a go!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No its not !

Skippy, yer reet, deffo not for you lol.

Thing is Skippy, if my chosen line is no good why do I catch as much as anyone else?......must be my superiour skill set..... just think how well i'd do if I used a super dooper line like yours, i'd clear up :).

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Looks like where a minority on here Mike.

There's a lot of haters out there ! Lol

I use it for everything too, mainlines that is.. If you fish a lot and have many reels you need something very affordable.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I've said ad infinitum I do not compromise on lines or hooks and I simply do not like anything about Sensor. If you get on with it then I'm pleased for you.

Give me a spool for free and I still wouldnt use it.

I don't compramise on lines either, that's why I use sensor.
I've tried loads of different lines that are expensive to buy but are simply not in the same league as sensor in use, not imo anyhow. If I thought a line was better i'd buy it regardless of price....price is not the reason I use it although it does help.

By the way, I really don't give a sh!t if noone sles uses it, i'm not trying to promote it, the subject of lines comes up frequently and since I use it it gets a mention from me......and it seems a few other like minded individuals.

Last edited: