Baggin’ Waggler

John Keane

Reaction score
Seems that these are outmoded and hardly used these days. Good, says I, as they can have the element of surprise/novelty.

I was fishing with a mate on our (very nice) club water and getting some decent fish on the margin pole and also fishing at around 9m on corn.

I had a tip rod in with a method feeder, normally a banker and, after frequent re-casting, hadn’t had a fish on it in 4 hours.

There were carp cruising round but couldn’t get them interested up in the water on pellet and, being a cr@p exponent of the pellet waggler, had a root round in my box and came out with a Baggin’ Waggler, which is basically a channel-buoy sized float with a spring cage in the ar$e.

Set it up with a banded pellet on a 6” hook length and moulded some of my Method micros around the cage, cast out, sank the line, put the baitrunner on and settled down to wait. The wait lasted about 5 seconds before the float vanished and the rod slammed round with the baitrunner humming.

Long story short, 18 carp and F1s in a sweltering afternoon.

Called in at my local tackle shop on the way home to see if he had any I could get for spares in case I lost my solitary offering.

Cue gales of laughter (they’re all matchmen) and enquiries such as “What the f*** do you want that for, no one’s used them for 10 years?”

A root through the archives unearthed two of said floats which I bought whilst mumbling, “I might give them a go sometime” Not being into casting pearls before swine, I didn’t mention my Red-Letter Day!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Big mutha! Clattercote special ..

image.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Are they the ones made by the bailiff on Clattercote ?
John I got mine from Go Outdoors, a Maver one, Used to use it on Whitley Pool, but I put Liquidized bread around it with a slow sinking piece of bread on the hook, had some good carp doing that.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
The "in thing " now seems to be the floating feeder which is very similar in how you feed the bait to a baggin waggler.
Although in all honesty i have not tried either.
I would rather fish the pellet waggler but thats personnel preference.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
The bailiff at Clattercote used to sell the "home made" ones. Just a big chunk of balsa with a cage feeder attached to the bottom end. Very rough & ready but in the right hands very effective. Chucking these out towards the middle especially on the early deeper pegs at Clattercote worked well but it was wise to keep hold of the rod while the "waggler" was doing its stuff out there :eek:mg: