Father and son found dead in my bit of canal

laguna

Reaction score
Some of you might have heard the tragic news that a Father (43) and son (19) bodies have been recovered from the canal by police divers on Saturday night.

The area where their bodies were recovered is on one of my own club waters in Cooper bridge area of Huddersfield. Apparently they were 'magnet' fishing at the time (not maggot fishing as I first thought), both are anglers too.
I must admit I'd not heard of magnet fishing before, but it seems they do it to find and haul out metal from the water.

Quite how both men drowned is puzzling because if they were found in the canal as reported, there is hardly a tow, the river that feeds it at the other side of the lock however can get a bit pacey especially after rain. Police are saying there are no suspicious circumstances at this time.

Tragic nonetheless. RIP

"So sad for it to happen on Fathers Day" Tributes to dad and son Martin and Jack Andrews as fishing trip turns to tragedy - Huddersfield Examiner

mikench

Reaction score
terrible news and i am at a loss to understand how it could have happened!

No doubt the truth will out eventually!

flightliner

Reaction score
Agree Graham, and very very sad-- RIP.
LAguna-- lots of magnet fishing on u-tube-- some interesting finds.

lambert1

Reaction score
Very sad and to be honest, a little baffling. My thoughts are with the family as they will no doubt be devastated.

laguna

Reaction score
Agree Graham, and very very sad-- RIP.
LAguna-- lots of magnet fishing on u-tube-- some interesting finds.

I shall endeavour to take a look Flight. I could understand if people used metal detectors to recover lost precious metals, but not iron/steel (ferrous) given the current value for scrap.

iain t

Reaction score
How very sad and strange.
The magnet is a big thing in mainland Europe. Lots of WW1 and 2 items found in wells and canals.