FishingMagic ? the end of an era

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Since I retired, the management at Magicalia have been trying their very best to accommodate FishingMagic in the company’s long term plans. We launched the site together 10 years ago and would love dearly to carry it on but sadly we cannot find a way to continue publishing FM. So it is with much regret from me and all at Magicalia that I have to announce that the site will close on Friday, 19th December unless a new owner is found.

FishingMagic is one of the best, if not the best, fishing websites in the UK with over 100,000 users every month and more than 50,000 members. It’s a very strong site and I know there are people interested in taking it on so, fingers crossed, FishingMagic may be back!

All enquiries from potential new owners to Ed Marriage on ed.marriage@magicalia.com

It’s a very sad day for me, having seen the site grow over the last 10 years or so to become one of the best known and friendliest fishing sites on the net. I was looking forward to retiring but still being able to join in the fish-ins and the discussions when the site was under new editorship. I’ve made lots of new friends through FM and I don’t want to lose touch with them.

Of course, I hope the right home can be found for FishingMagic and with the new owners it can grow into an even better resource for anglers. We’ll keep you posted.

I would also like to add that if a new owner comes along I will do all I can to help them settle in.

M

MarkTheSpark

What? That's madness. This cannot be allowed to happen. Let's buy it as a co-operative. I have my £50 here. Anyone else?

Yes, I'm serious.

E

EC

Sad news, lets hope a buyer is found!

What is the asking price Graham?

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It,s a disgrace, after all it was the members and GM that made F M. What it is to-day.

Shame on YOU Magicalia.

Jimmy.

E

EC

I wondered about the possibility of members helping to run the site after your retirement mate, to be honest, there's certainly no one who poster on this site who to my knowledge who could fill your boots. However there are probably a few members who could do a little part of what you do.

I hope magicalia explore some other possibilities, as I'm sure there are many, myself included who would help in any way possible to keep the site going.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">EC wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

Sad news, lets hope a buyer is found!

What is the asking price Graham?</blockquote>
I honestly have no idea Ed. I had very little to do with the financial side of things; I had enough to do editorially.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Sad news indeed Graham, and my sincere appreciation for all that you have contributed to the site, making it feel as though it was 'our' site, and for your very kind offer to assist any new owners to settle in.

Another site that I am a member of, has recently asked for donations to keep the site operating,the gentlemanwho runs the site had previously been putting his own money into keeping the site operative.

Now, i'm a 'thicko' when it comes to things like internet site's, BUT, what do'es finding a buyer mean. If it means finding someone to run the site, and, itthen means it will be a members 'financial' contributary site then so be it. If it is possible to maintain the high standards that have already been set by the existing ownership, by Graham Marsden, and the members, then I would'nt foresee any insurmountable problems,apart from the first year being crucial.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Two weeks notice! So little time to react and work on it, especially in these cash strapped times.

I feel for you Graham, you must be more than a little upset.

(Mark, I'm with you on this but I doubt there will be enough people on here able to commit now and going forward - it would be great if I'm wrong)

Tommo!

Reaction score
An absolute travesty.

I take it that all the new articles have been edited by yourself in retirement Graham, I thank you for that alone.

I don't believe that the revenue from advertisers isn't enough.

Canon mustbe putting a fair wedge into the coffers.

A dark day indeed.

Reaction score
You must be absolutely gutted Graham - and I am absolutlely shattered. I certainly would endeavour to support a "members buy-out" - it would be decent of Magicalia if they could outline the terms by which FM can continue.

I will also be shattered at the possibility of losing contact with so many virtual pals - to that end I suggest we all publish an email address so that these can be saved by others, and should the worst happen, we can maintain contact and continue the friendships.

So

Poshpaul -psludlow@yahoo.co.uk

F

Frothey

i wonder how long the advertisers are going to carry on advertising tho.... (oh yeah, 19th December!)

as the dolphins said.... so long and thanks for all the fish!

S

Sean Meeghan

Sad news indeed. I've made a lot of good friends through this site.

I'm afraid that the economics of running a site like this are marginal at best. You'd need to budget for approx £4,000 per month in advertising just to pay the running costs and I suspect that that's a big ask in today's economic environment.

F

Fred Bonney

As FM is the only one closing in the group, could it be anything to do with the fact that there is less and less fishing, and more & more chatroom?

Fishing related advertisers are not daft, they see what goes on, and what it produces for them. 50000 members and nothing in it for them???

I'm sorry it's happening, it used to always be my first site to visit, and I dropped inmany times a day, but in recent times it's become a quick look to see what's in the articles and Threads like Derek Gibson's, which although I had nothing to contribute, as I don't fish for pike,it had on the whole some great input.

It would be nice to see some of the archive material going to a good home, if nothing else.

Seeyou saturday Graham, and the other supporters of the Memorial Fish-in.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm gobsmacked!

FishingMagic is without doubt the BEST fishing site on the net.

I really feel for you Graham, I know how much you've put into this and you should be massively proud of what you have achieved.

A buyout?.........I'd chuck in £50

A paying membership?.............I'd pay £10-20 a year, that's peanuts!

There must be some options and avenues to explore, but two weeks is gonna be bl**dy hard to sort it out!!!

As others have already said, if there's anything I can do I'd be more than willing to help.