Maggots in fridge

iain t

Reaction score
As the title says. I have 4 pints of Maggots in my bait fridge. They have been in there for about 10 days, I bought 8 pints in total exspecting to be fishing my usual 6 days a week but at the moment am finding it a way to hot for me.
They are still wiggling and seem to not to be changing yet into casters. Question is how long will they last in this state

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ian,

I used to import large quantities of maggot into Norway some years ago fom a breeder close to Heathrow.

He told us to work on the principle of fresh maggots should last approx. 1200 degree hours.

A typical household 'fridge is set to about 4º so . . . .
4x24=96 . . . . 1200/96=12.5 . . .

So 12½ days seems about right.

Now you will see all sorts of people telling us that they have had maggots in the fridge for 3, 4 o r 5 weeks or whatever, but after the 12 days I'd consider either turning them to caster or just chucking them out.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Now you will see all sorts of people telling us that they have had maggots in the fridge for 3, 4 o r 5 weeks or whatever, but after the 12 days I'd consider either turning them to caster or just chucking them out.

Or use the bait fridge for it's intended purpose until it cools down a bit............:w
baitfridge.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have kept maggots in a fridge without them turning for up to four weeks. However, once they get past two weeks they are invariably shrunken and well past their best. In a shiny modern fridge with a good moisture control feature, they tend to desiccate more quickly than they turn. To last in the extreme they need to be as fresh as possible at the point of sale. Buy old, or badly kept, maggots from the tackle shop and you may struggle to keep them for a week.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The longer they're in the fridge the smaller they go or shrink. Best to keep em really cold so there only just alive. That way they last longer. I've had maggots over 6wks and still used them on the hook. If you get to the stage that you think theyre nacked, put them in a placcy bag and freeze them to add to future groundbait rather than just skim em.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If I expect to keep maggots for any length of time I always change the bedding twice a week. I put them through a griddle until clean and then add maze meal which keeps them dry and in pretty good nick. Eventually they start to turn but still usable and capable of catching.
I have had some for 3 weeks at least and although not perfect and 'fresh is best' I'm happy to use them...

Keep 'em clean is the eway to go imo

iain t

Reaction score
Thank for the advice chaps. Would love to have a fridge full of beer but with my strong meds to keep me "normal", i haven't touched Nectar in years. I may do out before dawn and get a few hours in tomorrow with a couple of pints. Then see how long the rest last. Then as Tigger said in the freezer for ground bait mix.

Another Dave

Reaction score
If I expect to keep maggots for any length of time I always change the bedding twice a week. I put them through a griddle until clean and then add maze meal which keeps them dry and in pretty good nick. Eventually they start to turn but still usable and capable of catching.
I have had some for 3 weeks at least and although not perfect and 'fresh is best' I'm happy to use them...

Keep 'em clean is the eway to go imo

I suppose it's a bit like doing a partial water change with a fish tank. Animals excrete the stuff they don't want, so to have to live in it for any length of time isn't going to do them any favours.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thank for the advice chaps. Would love to have a fridge full of beer but with my strong meds to keep me "normal", i haven't touched Nectar in years. I may do out before dawn and get a few hours in tomorrow with a couple of pints. Then see how long the rest last. Then as Tigger said in the freezer for ground bait mix.

Maybe just start with a couple of halves of IPA mate, don't want any accidents. Also, don't get in the freezer afterwards, the whole thing sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

rayner

Reaction score
I've never tried to keep maggots for more than a couple of days, I don't have any left most times.
When I do on the odd occasion I keep them in plastic bags with all the air squeezed out, on my cellar floor.
What I have noticed is the longer they are deprived of oxygen the longer they take to revive.
More than a couple of days and though they don't look like they've shrunk but they are lethargic, not so lively. If I keep any left over now I give them 5 minutes or so after they come round with the bag open daily.
Maggots last longer in a bag than a fridge in my opinion.