Wellingtons Boots?

chrissh

Reaction score
I have wellington boots for muddy winter conditions but my feet are always frizzing in them even with sealskin socks on,

my question is are neoprene wellingtons warmer?

I’m think on buy a pair but don’t want to waste money if there no better than the normal rubber welly boot.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Definitely warmer as far as I'm concerned. However, in the depths of winter, if you work up a sweat in them and then sit stationary they can still feel rather chilly.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Whats wrong with moon boots or skeetex mate.
I have had a pair of moon boots for about 8 yrs now and they have been very good.
In winter i wear them with a good pair of thermal socks as well.

chrissh

Reaction score
Definitely warmer as far as I'm concerned. However, in the depths of winter, if you work up a sweat in them and then sit stationary they can still feel rather chilly.

Thanks Sam … what’s best full neoprene legged or the rubber legged neoprene lined?

mikench

Reaction score
I have some Muck boots and PI wellies ( both neoprene) and they are warm and vastly superior to ordinary wellies! I do wear thermal socks in winter! I find the Muck boots to be warmer but sitting on frozen ground for several hours will still make your feet cold! When walking your feet will radiate heat!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Sam … what’s best full neoprene legged or the rubber legged neoprene lined?

Largely a question of taste and intended use. My preference is for neoprene lined full rubber. However, I also use my wellies for beating. I feel full rubber are better able to take more punishment. Others using them in less challenging environments may prefer the uncovered neoprene.

flightliner

Reaction score
Chrissh, how things pan out, I took my wife to Lincoln today for a look around, walking back to the car at 4pm I noticed the welly in a shoe shop doorway and took a pik thinking it might be a threadstarter. Back home I was smiling when I saw your post.
Amazed at how fast I could use it!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aigle Paraquars neoprene lined wellies, they feel as near to a pair of ordinary walking boots as I could find. I wear em more than the majority of people wear wellies as I do a hell of a lot of walking in em. I really don't think you'll find better wellies.

rob48

Reaction score
Aigle parcours vario 2 for warm/mild weather. As stated above, incredibly comfortable and easy to walk in.
Muck Boots with neoprene construction for the colder conditions

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aigle parcours vario 2 for warm/mild weather. As stated above, incredibly comfortable and easy to walk in.
Muck Boots with neoprene construction for the colder conditions

I find mine keep my feet warm enough during the colder winter months. They do get a bit sweaty during the warmer months but even wellies with no neoprene lining are sweaty in the summer.

iain t

Reaction score
I owned a pair of Bison neoprene wellingtons for over 4 years. Even in the coldest weather that has been thrown at them(Scotland, Norway and Sweden), they have kept my tootsies warm. I only wear a pair of thin Cotton socks with them, even then sometimes that is too warm. They are wearing well with no deterioration on the stitching or sole.
For £29 they have been well worth the money. Proves you don't have to splash out on big names to get quality.
Comparing them with my previous wellies which were the bog standard Hunters which cost a hell of lot more. I would always have to wear 2 pairs of socks with them to take the chill of my toes. My socks would always end up rolling under my heels. So i was always taking the boots off to pull the socks up.
If i need a next pair of wellies, i will be buying the Bison ones again

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In my experience keeping feet warm in winter comes down to two factors. The first one is age and as we all know as we get older circulation is not so good so feet, the furthest point from the heart, tend to get cold a lot quicker. (I speak from long experience).
The second one basically follows on from the first in that if you sit still for even relatively short periods the heart is not pumping (say) as it would when walking even at a moderate speed, so again circulation drops and feet get cold.
Not everyone is the same and some folk, even those over 70, never suffer from cold feet at all, yet others (like my wife who has cold feet even in summer!) of even young age suffer as well.

Sometime ago I bought a pair of Muck Boots (I think I followed S-Kippy's recommendation at the time) and they have been very good, BUT if I'm out fishing for some hours when air temps are around 5 degrees my feet will get cold - regardless! The only way I can improve foot temperature is by getting up and walking around for short spells - either that or using chemical foot warmers which do a great job. I also use the heaviest weight Bridgedale socks I can find.......(btw, I'm 75 so cold feet go with the territory)

Personally, I don't think a single solution can be found for cold feet and I'm sure many boot/sock combinations will do a job. My Muck boots were expensive but for me they were a very good investment and I had a good look around before I spent the dosh.

Oh yes, one more thing; I bought a generous size boot that although not a sloppy fit certainly allow for movement for the toes which again is very helpful, and this from my Podiatrist wife of 40 years experience so knows a thing or two about feet!!

ps It could also be said that it really is not necessary to buy expensive boots particularly if you only need them once in a while so it is worth looking around and asking questions for the best advice. Maybe shops like Go-Outdoors might be worth a visit??

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Whats wrong with moon boots or skeetex mate.
I have had a pair of moon boots for about 8 yrs now and they have been very good.
In winter i wear them with a good pair of thermal socks as well.

I've had a pair of SkeeTex moon boots for the best part of 20 years now and, if you're not doing a lot of yomping they will keep your feet very warm. They were used by the film crew of Planet Earth in the polar regions and are supposedly guaranteed to -50c. If mobile I use the SkeeTex field boots.