Is fishing an addiction?

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I guess I started thinking about this due to some dude I know who works in a tackle shop who is so obsessed with fishing, it has ruined his whole life. He is in his late 30's, no woman in his life except his mother (who he lives with) and his only joy is when he goes fishing.. I see many old men who have let fishing run their lives for so long that they dont really have a life outside of fishing or worse they let fishing get between them and the people they love.. It just strikes me as odd.. I mean fishing is great but not that great... Im just glad my wife loves fishing too!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s not odd, different maybe. If such people are happy with their life, good for them.

Why is that “dudes” life ruined?

sam vimes

Reaction score
If people are happy with their lives, it's entirely up to them how they live them, provided they keep things lawful. People do all sorts of things that wouldn't suit me, but good luck to them.

thecrow

Reaction score
Never thought that I was obsessed with fishing but I have become obsessed with catching a particular fish or a fish of a particular size, some of my obsessions were satisfied others not but thankfully I learned that to carry on with it was spoiling my fishing so I stopped doing it.

mikench

Reaction score
If fishing was smokeable, injectable or digestible then yeh man I reckon it could be addictive! :rolleyes:

Each to their own! Not everyone conforms to the norm, marriage, kids, 9-5 job and boredom! Fishing is worth pursuing however regardless of outcome!

bracket

Reaction score
No, fishing is certainly not an addiction for me. Better described as the well deserved rehabilitation therapy for 45 years of hard graft and raising a family successfully. Pete.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
All a question of balance really. I have known several anglers who have treated fishing as the be-all and end-all of life and to a man they ended up with fishing 'burn out' and stopped fishing altogether, or pretty much close to it.

In my case it could be said I'm fanatical just because I fish (up to) 5 times a week and if I'm not fishing then I am probably thinking about it, but that's not how it is. True, fishing is very important to me and it is my passion, but it has to be balanced with time I need for other things and more importantly, my wife. It is why I tend to fish from early morning to around midday (which leaves me plenty of time for the social side of life) and it doesn't affect anyone else - my wife included!

During my fishing sessions my wife has a very full social life with friends, keep fit, looking after a large garden, garden club committee, plus tons of cooking, jam making etc. etc. but we still find time to go out for lunch once a week or so, or if not this then a visit to garden or similar.

OFC Disorder: I really cannot see why being without a girlfriend and living with his mother should be a problem if that's what suits him. If he lives at home he probably has time to burn and with no girlfriend or wife he can suit himself 24-7 with only his mum to answer to. No doubt it is a situation that seemingly suits both parties.......

Ask many fishermen who love the sport and wish they had more time to go fishing, but they have young families probably, and a wife who wants to see her husband at weekends. If you marry, that is the choice you make and with it comes commitments. You cannot have it both ways!!

If you're an avid fisherman who wants to spend every free hour on the bank, then best you tell your wife BEFORE you tie the knot!!

BTW; If I have a choice between going fishing or visiting relatives.................well, what can I tell you..

ps I wouldn't want my wife coming fishing with me as it is my time to be alone. Thankfully my wife wouldn't want to spend any more than an hour on the bank!!!

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I think it is an addiction, it's the best addiction I've ever had. I can think of many worse things to be addicted too.

Remember ruined in the eyes of one may be made in the eyes of another. We have one life, do what makes you happy and to hell with what society thinks you should do to be 'normal' as long as your not hurting anyone.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you're an avid fisherman who wants to spend every free hour on the bank, then best you tell your wife BEFORE you tie the knot!!

That would be a grinner knot then.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm addicted to food and drink.....I eat and drink everyday, but no booze mind!

john step

Reaction score
Obsessed yes but addicted no. I do have other subordinate interests. I also make a point of doing other things with my sandwich maker even if I would prefer to be fishing, such as walking round garden centres and smiling at the right places about this pretty flower or that one etc.
I even go on family holiday without my fishing gear nowadays as silly as that sounds.
Mind you I make up for it with solo fishing breaks away.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Addiction? No! Just very keen, it is a way of life. As already said it is a question of balance. I have been happily married for nearly 45 years, two children, grandchildren, nice home, retired, etc, etc.

Done around 1200 nights carp fishing, now usually fish for roach three days a week. Fishing is a great excuse to be outside and live with nature.

I've been very lucky, fished some superb places for big carp and now I've been lucky again and discovered some beautiful places to roach fish.

Fishing regrets? Yes, I've spent a bit too much time chasing big carp.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Some great post and and great points! I think it is all about balance just with anything, moderation is the key. Couple of quick points: I also enjoy fishing alone, I cant get the other half on the bank before 11am so early morning sessions are my solo adventures. The guy at the fishing shop is not happy with his life, he is constantly being creepy to any woman who steps through the shops doors.. I actually confronted him in the end because my other half had started being reluctant to go in there.. He just stinks of loneliness and despair.

mikench

Reaction score
I travel a lot and am always on the lookout for a fishing excursion ! I have trips to Sweden and Montana to look forward to! Funny how the wife will come on these!:rolleyes:

Ps Talking of excursions is Nottskev away as he hadn't posted in a while nor answered wattsapps, texts or pm's! He could have gone to Russia but if anyone knows please advise!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
He's probably out searching for his umpteenth 2lb roach of the season.......

OCF Dosorder: On the face of it, it sounds very much like this chap needs help, if he is in the state you suggest. Being 'creepy around women' doesn't sound very healthy either........
Not for one minute am I suggesting you try to sort his life out and maybe he is beyond sorting, but he sounds in a very bad way and in my opinion he can only to continue go downhill, if what you say is correct.

You mention the word despair. I am well versed around this word and it is not a state of mind I would wish on my worst enemy. A great pity someone cannot offer him some guidance, and surely that is what he needs at this time.

He has no other family that you know of??

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I thought so Graham! I mentioned Russia as he was, by his own admission, married to a rocket scientist!:rolleyes:

I hope he is well!

dicky123

Reaction score
I think an addiction is something you miss/cannot do with out when you're not doing it. I for one get wound up if I don't fish to be honest. A day on the river seems to put it all in perspective, yes for me a wonderful addiction. I'm a bit like one of the other members in that I spent too much time chasing big fish. Now I'm happy to watch a float and catch almost anything. (Except eels)
Rich.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Only if you let it become one , known quite a few people over the years who have lost there wife, children etc because of this.

To me it's a hobby/ pastime when I'm in the mood that's usually when I go, and that's when I enjoy it.