fishing technique

CHADY12

Reaction score
hello, thanks for your answer. Actually i fish on the beach, marina. The size of the hook is 9, the sort of fish it depends, not a particular one. The bait that i use is breast of chicken, worms.the size of the ligne that i use is 0.35mm, the length of the rod is 3.60 m. in addition i put a plomb for about 40g. As usual i spend about 2 to 3 hours, without catching a single fish, and every time i threw the bait in the water the hook hang on the rocks in deep water.This matter make disturbance for me, so dear friends what techniques that i must use to, catching fish, then that the hook doesn't hang on the rocks. Thank you very much.

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
For starters you can safely reduce your line diameter to about 0.25mm, retaining a 0.35mm line leader of about 5m in length.

A size 9 hook may be a bit small, but that depends on the fish species in your marina.

Forget the chicken as a bait and the worms, which I assume are earth worms, as they will not be particularly attractive.Use a natural marine bait, like lugworm, or ragworm. A slice of oil fish, like sardine, might be better.

The lead plomb will cause problems on a rough seabed. I would try a small, clear bubble float, filled with sufficient water, to permit it to sink very slowly. This will give you enough range, but it will tend to rest on top of the bottom weed and should come free very easily. The slow sinking bait will be more attractive to feeding fish. A swift sinking bait tends to repel them.

Another technique, quite useful in sheltered waters, is to substitute a long pebble for the plomb. Attach it to the line by a simple clove hitch. When it hits the water, the pebble will detach, allowing the bait to sink in a natural manner. If you use this technique, do not use a line leader, just the 0.25mm line. It takes a bit of practise, but it is quite a deadly technique.

I have a range of other methods, if these do not give good results. Let us know how you get on!

Tight Lines!

CHADY12

Reaction score
hello, bob thanks for ur help i'm gladful for u, i'll try these techniques & inform you the results.

best regards,

CHADY12

Reaction score
thanks again bob, but this link doesn't work properly, they were blocking me from entering the site.

CHADY12

Reaction score
hello bob, how r u? hope fine.

Iwent fishingsaturdayin jbeil a beautiful city in lebanon, i introduced a new kindof bait (shrimps), it take a good result, but unfortunatly the kind of fish that ifishedit poison the human, i don't know whatit named in english, but when youtake it in yourhand, she breath a bag under her mouth, her poison is in her levure.I asked a fisherman who fish from over 40 years, he told don't try to cook it, and he added that she cuts the lines of fishermans by hersharpen teeth. A new kind of fish that i knew as an apprentice, how to deal with such a fish.

best regards,

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
Excuse me for laughing, Chady!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

At least you are catching fish now!

Obviously you do not want to catch these poison fish. So there are a couple of ways to avoid them.

First: fish somewhere else. Species such as this tend to be quite localised. Therefore study the marine environment, in which you are catching the fish and then look fora slightly different mix of ground and weed.

Second: use a different bait. These fish tend to feed from ambush (hence the liking for shrimp). You may need to present a moving bait, which will attract more active predators.

Third: try spinning, using an artificial lure. I catch much better species of fish, for eating, using spinning lures, or a moving float and bait.

I'll come back to you with a simple drawing of a tackle, which might produce better results.

As for sharp toothed fish, the best defence is to use a short length of thick mono filament, say 1mm, or coated steel line, to attach the hook to the line. It does not need to be very long, only 3cm, or so. I use this techniquefor certain species. However I always make sure I include a swivel at each end of this type of "leader". You should also use crimps, or a good knot, to attach this thicker line (crimps are best).

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
Here are a couple of diagrams of moving bait setups. The best bait is a sliver of fresh sprat, or sardine. A slice of squid can also be effective.
bubble_float_setup.jpg

stuart_tackle.jpg

CHADY12

Reaction score
good day bob.

you are really a nice guy, thanks for all your informations & support, i appreciated that.

Actually, now in lebanon this is not the season of sardine so i can't use it as a bait, or what your opinion if i use the packed one(sardine) ? ???

Do you knowany website where i can find free e-books for sea fishing???

thank you.

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
There are many sea angling websites (including this one) just google "Sea Angling" and browse the list of sites.

This is one of the most active sites, which covers most angling disciplines. You might try:

http://www.totalseamagazine.com/Home/

Most of the sea angling e-magazines contain a wealth of good advice, tips and tricks.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

edit:

Frozen sprat/sardine is OK. (not canned!) The flesh is quite soft, so it needs to be bound to the hook with elasticated thread (but not too tight!).

CHADY12

Reaction score
good day bob,

wish you a happy new year.

do you know any recipe for homemade bait (ingredients).

best regards,

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
The problem with home baits, in marine environments, is the preference of marine fish. I think it fair to say that marine animals prefer mammalian remains to be soft and rotten!

(I once had the task of landing a drowned person from the sea. The first thing the professionals did was to shake the shrimps from her head, eyes and brain!)

So saying ground baiting might be an advantage in Mediterranean waters. We use "Rubby Dubby" (mashed fish remains) in tidal waters, to attract shark and the like. However, we have to use it in large quantities and often, as the tidal currents disperse it quickly. In the Mediterranean, such currents are much weaker, so ground baiting might last long enough to be effective.

Ground bait is easiest made with breadcrumbs. DRY the bread (rather than toast it) in a low oven. Then crush it into crumbs. It can then be mixed with fish oil, to give it flavour.

Presentation is easiest by use of a ground bait cage, attached to your weight (Plomb). This will disperse to provide a volume of flavour, along which the fish may be attracted, until they find your baited hook.

Other artificial attractants can make a difference. I find that a small piece of linen, impregnated with petroleum jelly and attached to the hook sometimes helps. Others use WD40 in a similar manner! There are, of course, a wide range of bait enhancers available on line, which can be used, either with breadcrumbs, or linen carriers.

There is also a range of plastic lures, the best known being "Berkeley Gulp", which may be used as static, or moving lures; also available on line.

CHADY12

Reaction score
you mean by this moving lure. how i can this plastic fish and this float, is it efficace to fish with these instruments
DSC01886_0.JPG

DSC01885_0.JPG

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
The lure may work. That depends on presentation.

The float would be OK for static bait presentation, but probably not for moving lures.

The "Bubble float" is made from clear plastic. It has two holes in it, with removable stoppers. This permits the user to fill the float with water, as required. This allows the float to be balanced between casting weight and buoyancy.

For use with moving lures, my experience leads me to believe that around 1/3 of the float volume, filled with water, is about right.

To use with a slow sinking bait, fill the float almost completely.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Chady If you want to fish with a lure and need to get it cast out a good distance then fix to your line a rubber bouncy ball, the small solid ones, they will float on the surface and will give you some casting weight (like a plomb) if you want your lure (or(fish bait/sardine/squid) to be a meter under water then fish the ball a meter above the bait. You should keep you r hook above the rocks with this set up.

P

Phillips Jerry

2 questions for you chady

no 1 Are there silvery fish swiming around the rocks or boats in the marina ?

no2 Have you tried bread as bait,just chuck some in next time your fishing see if any fish feed on it.

If the anser is yes to the above questions send me a reply and i will try and help you