Casters. How long do they last

iain t

Reaction score
Done a search on older threads but came up with nothing. 2 questions i need answers to.
I've started buying Casters in those air sealed type bags. The shop seems to store them in a fridge or freezer.
If i do the same but after I've used half a bag or so how long will they last. Also if i don't open the bags so they are still airtight, how long will these last.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You'll get plenty of differing replies but personally I never keep them after the bag is open. At a stretch I'll put what's left in a tub and cover them with cold water, then into the fridge. A pint should do for a session, maybe more on a big river, if you have any over you're not feeding enough IMO...;)
Don't freeze them!

wetthrough

Reaction score
I don't have an answer either but an observation. I turn my own casters, being a stillwater angler I don't use that many. I keep them in water in the fridge and they never turn to floaters. I probably don't keep them more than a couple of weeks at the longest and I catch plenty of Roach on them. What I have noticed is that even on a blisteringly hot day they still don't turn to floaters if kept under water so I'm not even convinced they need storing in a fridge. Just about everything slows down with decreasing temperature so it's probably not a bad idea. The question should probably be - how do you know if a caster has gone bad. Not sure really but if the by-products of decomposition are methane, it floats so should be an indication of their state as they very nearly float when they're fresh anyway. I'm going to leave some out of the fridge and see what happens.

bracket

Reaction score
Like Peter Crabtree has already said this is a very subjective question and each will have his own take on it. During the 1970's when match fishing the Trent I only ever used caster and hemp. My mate and I would take off around two gallon a week for our own use. The key to keeping them fresh, as opposed to just keeping them, is temperature. Kept in a sealed bag or bait tin, fridged at setting 3 or 4, I would be happy to use them up to five days. Keeping them in water is OK, up to a point, they certainly won't float because they are dead (drowned) and therefore will quickly begin to deteriorate. They will still have limited use, chub and carp love them but roach and bream aren't so keen once they have gone "off". The best thing to do is to buy just enough for your immediate use and don't keep them for more than three days. However to put it in prospective I remember fishing the River Derwent at Sawley many years ago and running out of maggots. I got through a gallon in 6 hours and taken around 80 to 90 lb of fish. The only bait I had left was two pints of casters in sealed bags that had been in the bottom of my box for weeks. They were black and to say they were rancid was complementary. I fed a handful in and the water erupted with chub. I carried on to take another twenty odd pound, never caught a roach on them through. So there are two sides of the coin to chew on. My personal preference is to try and use the freshest bait I can. But it is a fact that if the fish want old bait they will take it, you see that's fishing, nothing is consistent, thank the Gods. Pete.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Depending on ambient temperature when fishing with them I might just make them last if I am fishing 3 consecutive days, but this is only pleasure fishing. On such occasions I change the water once home and store in my fridge and then change the water again in the evening. The following session I rinse them in the lake water before use.

I like mine a pale colour rather than dark(ish) red, but have to accept they will be a lot darker come the 3rd session...Never really noticed much difference in catching rate over the three days, though............

ps I have allowed (some) of them to become 'floaters' in the past (if fishing well up in the water) which occasionally induces the roach to pop up to the surface, or at least stops them from going awol. Several fired into the water see ms to do the trick..
Does a hooked 'floater(s)' sink any the slower, I ask myself.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I will buy them the day before unless the I am setting out after 8am then I will get them in the morning, I will sometimes feed caster and fish maggot.sounds expensive but can get a better stamp of fish,also if miss a bite I know I have not been shelled as I would have been if fishing and feeding caster,As for storage,I will rarely use the same batch more than 3 days, they are in a bait box, kept in the fridge,with just enough water to cover them, a piece of newspaper is then on top of the casters, the bait box then has a piece of clingfilm over the top and kept in place with bait box lid, I have found by using newspaper it seems to keep them crisp and fresh.
I would say a hooked floater would sink faster depending on pattern and gauge of hook used.

This is the way I do it, I hope it helps.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Everything I've found suggests casters can hybernate so they should be OK for long periods kept out of water in the fridge, in theory. Hard to find solid facts about Bluebottle maggots in particular but other blowfly pupa can survive under water for limited periods but not longer than 4 days. I've got some in the fridge out of water which I'll check periodically to see if they turn into flies when out.

Has anybody kept them in the fridge out of water that knows otherwise?

iain t

Reaction score
Searching the web most sellers say because all the air has been sucked out of the bags and you keep them in a dark cool place they will last up to a year. Classing them as a shelf life bait. Once the bag has been opened they are best used within 4 days.

On another note a tread, i started about a month ago regarding keeping maggots in a fridge. I asked how long will they last before turning or going off. I was able to keep them for 3 weeks without going off or turning. After taking them out of the fridge within 15 minutes the maggots were wiggling as the day i bought them. They were still good to catch on the day. This was just a test as i usually use up all the maggots i buy in one session.

My idea is to buy bait in bulk as in my sea fishing days.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pre-packed casters last a while in the vacuum packed bags they come in. Putting the sealed bag into a black bin liner prior to storage in the fridge seems to minimize the effects of bag burn. Once the vacuum packed bag is opened, you've not got long to use them at their best. I'll happily keep casters in water when fishing with them, but trying to store them in water in the fridge soon sees them going sour, even with regular water changes. Some fish species don't seem too bothered about past their best casters, others certainly do. Unless they are stored in the original vacuum packed bags, I don't usually attempt to store casters. I'll always try to buy what I think I'll need and get them used within a day or two of buying them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never bought casters, if I want them I just leave white maggots out and if in the sun they change to chryslalist stage before your very eyes!.....not quite that fast but pretty damn fast, especially if the maggots are a few days old.

Reaction score
Having fished matches for many years,the holy grail was the search for the freshest casters,the fresher the better,vacuum packed casters are cr*p,as they are living creatures they need to breath,so they're dead,often they are dull,drab things because of this,yes you can catch on them,but I'll bet you'd catch on a dollop of poo if you could put some on the hook.

hawb811

Reaction score
put them in a jar in the fridge a tinted jar is better, should be ok for a couple of weeks

sam vimes

Reaction score
Having fished matches for many years,the holy grail was the search for the freshest casters,the fresher the better,vacuum packed casters are cr*p,as they are living creatures they need to breath,so they're dead,often they are dull,drab things because of this,yes you can catch on them,but I'll bet you'd catch on a dollop of poo if you could put some on the hook.

If you can get them on the day of delivery to the shop, they are acceptable. Like you, I'd rather have proper shop turned fresh casters. Unfortunately, my local has gone down the road of buying them in rather than turning them themselves. I've a sneaking suspicion that, as an older river matchman, the proprietor still turns a few for his own use.

bracket

Reaction score
but I'll bet you'd catch on a dollop of poo if you could put some on the hook.

Eternal problem Whitty. Back in the 1960s on the Road Stretch below the Stoke Bardolph outflow.
We all knew what they were feeding on but we couldn't make it stay on the hook either. Pete

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
but I'll bet you'd catch on a dollop of poo if you could put some on the hook.

Eternal problem Whitty. Back in the 1960s on the Road Stretch below the Stoke Bardolph outflow.
We all knew what they were feeding on but we couldn't make it stay on the hook either. Pete
Pity it wasnt the mid seventies Pete , it could have been hair rigged!
Agree with other posters, vac packed arnt the best by a long chalk, when they can appear dull and often grey give em a sniff and its obvious they are dead and in the early stages of decomposing.
Fresh is best, monday mornings I can get the very best, run off, picked clean and either surplus
or not picked up on a sunday morning and on account of no matches at the local commy till midweek the amount is often very generous.

Reaction score
You need the right binding agent Pete,if anyone used belechan I think I I'd rather use my faeces,enough of talking quality bait:eek:mg::cool:. If I match fished today,I would be turning my own casters,as long as I didn't need more than a pint and a half,struggle any more than that. Many year's ago a Severn match angler called Fred the bread Bailey used to win lots of opens on the river with big weights of chub and barbel,he used to sweep up all the old black casters,blackfly and other garbage and steep it in some horrible liquid,gallons and gallons of the stuff,nice....

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Pity it wasnt the mid seventies Pete , it could have been hair rigged!
Agree with other posters, vac packed arnt the best by a long chalk, when they can appear dull and often grey give em a sniff and its obvious they are dead and in the early stages of decomposing.
Fresh is best, monday mornings I can get the very best, run off, picked clean and either surplus
or not picked up on a sunday morning and on account of no matches at the local commy till midweek the amount is often very generous.
Yes flight know what you are saying. I had a mate who worked at the maggot farm(Colwick). He would tell me to come and see him on a Monday evening, after 6pm, when the Gaffer had gone. I would get upward of three gallon of whites straight off the feed, for gratis. They needed riddling and cleaning but I was set up for that so no problem. There is no doubt in my mind that casters are best used fresh. I still use them down here in Dorset but mostly in the winter months when you have to buy a bite. Pete.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
For roach and dace the fresher the better but I've done well on stinking casters for chub and barbel. Once got caught out on a Stour team match where fresh casters were essential; opened the bag and they took your breath away, really rank and I couldn't get a bite on them and blanked. They were from a tackle shop that had only just opened. When I used to spend a week on the Thames I'd turn my own with a big riddle and proper caster maggots (whites that aren't fridged up) and get three pints of fresh ones every morning.

flightliner

Reaction score
Pete, when I fished the river years ago I would make a twenty mile detour to a maggot farm just outside Lincoln, it was the filthiest place on this gods earth, running over dead carcasses to get to the main breeding sheds.
When I first went I was told to ask for "a couple of quidsworth" so I took a small round tub that had been used for jam, maybe a kilo's worth in size.
I saw the guy, gave him the money and he simply scooped up a complete tubfull that was worth every penny.
I did this once more then on the third time I took a tub twice the size of the original where the guy did exactly the same as before.
Next time in my tub was akin to a 25 litre paint container with the same outcome.
Iv'e mentioned this before on another forum where some wag said I was wasting my time and should put a tin bath in the car boot!.
Great while it lasted but one day I went and it had shut down :focus::behindsofa: