Whip fishing (again!)

fishplate42

Reaction score
About this time last year I asked about whip fishing and you gave me some sound advice - thank you. I am planning on doing some more fishing in the same spot but now there are some much bigger fish there. This morning we could see chub (chublet?) that were 12-15 inches long. Last year a fish that was 6 inches long was considered a whopper! If I catch one of these with the whip, I am not going to be able to swing it to hand. My question is, should I use a 5m elasticated tele-pole instead or do you think I will be able to net a fish that size off the whip? I am also concerned that the bigger fish might snap the tip of a whip.

Any advice would be appreciated. The 'river' is very small and only a couple of feet deep at the very most. HERE is a link that shows the venue.

The picture above was taken this morning, about fifty yards up-stream to where we usually fish as shown in the link. This pool is crystal clear and I could see a lot of fish swimming about. I only had a small compact camera with me so I could not photograph the fish through the reflection without a filter, but they were there - Honest!

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ralph, you say you’re whip is 5m, how long are your rods if you think they’ll be too long?

Parts of the Stour I fish for chub don’t look dissimilar to your bit of stream, as you know I love my whip fishing but not for chub in snaggy swims. I use a 9ft rod, bought it especially for the Stour through Canterbury.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I don't know what make of whip you have, but I bought a Sensas Alborella 150 5m whip. Very cheap so that if I broke it it wouldn't break my heart or wallet. I've landed carp to around 3 lbs on it straight off the flick tip.
You can get the Sensas 175 that comes with two tops, one a flick top and one you can elasticate, probably with a 3 or 4's elastic.
Be bold.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bold and aggressive I’d say. With the current poor DOL levels in many of our waters playing a fish for any amount of time won’t be good for its well being. A chub between 12 and 15 inches long should be capable of putting up a decent resistance initially after hooking.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a Shakespeare bleak whip, 4.5 metres in length but packs down to around 60 cm, it has a stonfo connector on the flick tip,
It is used for silver fish, but I have landed F1's to around 2lb on it, obviously I didn't swing them to hand, I also have a Daiwa system whip, where I have the choice of either a flick tip, elastic through the top 2, or elastic through a short number 1 if I remove the flick tip, depending on the size of the fish I am after, It can be used as a short pole hence the elastic through the top 2 in th spare topkit, due to it being tele /take apart construction, Have a look through the online sale sites such as ebay, gumtree , preloved for a Daiwa Harrier system whip, they usually go for around 70 quid, but can go for a 100, they are very popular and sought after.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Typically whip fishing means a line to hand method without any elastiction in the tip.

The sort of swim you describe and the target species size then why not just use a proper take apart pole with suitable elastication?

It would assist with both 'casting' accuracy as well as bait presentation and at the same time eliminate any problems associated with larger fish on a traditional whip.

I have a good selection of whips, mostly all telescopic, however, one of the very best I ever bought was an 8m Milo Luxury with is telescopic for the first 3 sections and take apart after that so it is a sort of composite pole/whip.

Faced with your swim and those target fish then that would be my first choice to use . . . .

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I was only thinking whip because that is all I have ever fished this river with. A 3m whip is ideal for the cover and the fish - at least it was last year. The area is very overgrown, it is almost fully covered and in places it is like being in a tunnel of trees and vegetation. I know the picture I posted makes it look less overgrown but that is just a 'hole' in the cover.

I don't want to use a conventional rod and line as I don't want the fag of continual setting up - it would not be easy to move around with a full-size rod and reel made up, whereas with a small pole or whip it can be collapsed and manoeuvred so much easier. Also a whip or pole is less likely to get hung up in the vegetation when lifting into a bite.

I now realise that using a longer whip is not the answer here. On thinking about it, the short whip (3m) is about as long as I can use in this situation but I am not sure I will be happy catching bigger fish on it. I think I am going to use one of my 5m tele-poles as they are elasticated and can be collapsed to a sensible length with noting likely to catch on the vegetation.

I might give it a go tomorrow at first light and see how I get on, I will let you know how it goes.

Ralph.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
PC's right, I know Iwould use a rod and reel. You could use a two pice rod which is easily broken down for manouvering from swim to swim. Doesn't have to be a match rod, any two piece rod of the desired length.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve caught the occasional accidental Carp up to around 4 or 5lb on my composite telescopic/take-apart whip using 3lb line and a 2lb hooklink, but in an overgrown stream or river like you describe I would choose a shortish rod (9ft to 11ft plus) and reel; I certainly wouldnt dream of using a whip; with either a flicktip or fitted with elastic; on an overgrown stream or river such as the one you describe.
So good luck Ralph, I think you might need it if you hook into something decent :)

Keith

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't want to use a conventional rod and line as I don't want the fag of continual setting up - it would not be easy to move around with a full-size rod and reel made up, whereas with a small pole or whip it can be collapsed and manoeuvred so much easier. Also a whip or pole is less likely to get hung up in the vegetation when lifting into a bite.

Sounds like you're putting convenience before fish welfare......?

hawb811

Reaction score
i have a fairly large selection of whips ranging from a 400 pond tricast to a 4 pound linneaffe, some elasticated and some flick tip, i have landed carp to 8lb on the cheap linneaffe with a no 8 elastic, with whip fishing properly you shouldnt really go any heavier than a 2lb hooklength max, just make sure you have a landing net for bonus fish

fishplate42

Reaction score
I’ve caught accidental Carp up to around 4 or 5lb on my composite telescopic/take-apart whip but in an overgrown stream or river like you describe I would choose a shortish rod (9ft to 11ft plus) and reel; I certainly wouldnt dream of using a whip; with either a flicktip or fitted with elastic; on an overgrown stream or river such as the one you describe.
So good luck Ralph, I think you might need it if you hook into some decent fish :)

Keith

I think you misunderstood what I am planning to use. I will be using a short pole with elastic fitted. NOT an elasticated whip.

Ralph.

john step

Reaction score
I think the problem may be with the terminology.
Old school, a whip is for fishing to hand for small silvers. No elastic just a flick tip. Speed fishing I guess.

New school.....Unfortunately tackle manufacturers have changed the term to refer to powerfull elasticated short poles primarily for commercial carp.

Most on here are old school.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I think the problem may be with the terminology.
Old school, a whip is for fishing to hand for small silvers. No elastic just a flick tip. Speed fishing I guess.

New school.....Unfortunately tackle manufacturers have changed the term to refer to powerfull elasticated short poles primarily for commercial carp.

Most on here are old school.

I think so. I do have whips, in the true sense, that I use for fishing to hand when fishing for small fish. Last year there was nothing in this river bigger than a few ounces in weight, so I used a small 3m whip. This year, some much bigger fish have appeared - by bigger I mean maybe ¾ -1lb. This year I will be using a short pole. It is telescopic, but so are some of my top-kits. The small pole is like using a top-kit plus one or two sections of longer pole.

Ralph.