Part of the Trent shut duo to heat

chrissh

Reaction score
Copied from ….THE TRUE TRENT ANGLERS NOTTS

12 July at 21:08 ·

NOTTS PISCO'S have shut their stretches of the river to preserve their barbel----time the other clubs did the same in this extreme weather---time anglers woke up and accepted the fact that barbel DIE in these conditions, even after you have watched it swim "strongly" away

Kev Berry‎

B

binka

I'm not a fan of the poster in question and would have said he called it a bit too early a couple of weeks ago, that said I agree 100% with him now and I think the club in question has made a good call.

Only last Thursday I was Perch fishing (on an undisclosed stretch of river) and I was sickened to see a so called Barbel angler land a Barbel in the height of the late afternoon heat, during low water levels with low DOL, and he then proceeded to hoist the fish out without even resting it before he then suspended the fish in his landing net which was between his seated knees (he had no unhooking mat) whilst he then fannied around with his phone using wet fingers which couldn't turn the camera function on.

If he was typically representative of an angler then I would have been ashamed to be associated with the practice of angling.

The way he returned it was nothing less than diabolical too, resting it in stillwater right beside the bank before it eventually turned and bolted off... Probably to go belly up as soon as it reached the main flow.

If certain anglers displayed some common sense and half decent fish handling techniques it shouldn't be necessary to close stretches of river but unfortunately, and despite the good work of organisations such as the Barbel Society (of whom I'm not or never have been a member but credit due) and their publicising of the fish handling code, some so called anglers are beyond help.

It's not rocket science but it still seems beyond the grasp of some people :eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
Unfortunately selfishness is inherent in some anglers, Barbel will in these conditions be easier to find and harder to recover after a prolonged fight, just because they swim off probably using their remaining strength they can easily go belly up in a flow and die but the catch at all costs lot either don't know in which case they must be thick or they don't care.

I applaud those organisations that have closed stretches of river to protect fish from fools, both Notts Pisc and the Barbel Society being the ones I have heard of leaving lots more that should make the same decision but will they? will day ticket stretches be willing to loose the income that they collect, if they don't I fear that the consequences wont be seen until its to late.

john step

Reaction score
Agree with you both. I have just returned from hols and a 2 week break from fishing. I was hoping for a bit of rain or cooler weather to resume fishing but that seems a no no.

What I have wondered, does anyone think other species ie roach, carp etc should be avoided this weather. Any thoughts on abstaining until a bit of rain. I have a deep reservoir in mind for a bit hemp and tare angling.

B

binka

Agree with you both. I have just returned from hols and a 2 week break from fishing. I was hoping for a bit of rain or cooler weather to resume fishing but that seems a no no.

What I have wondered, does anyone think other species ie roach, carp etc should be avoided this weather. Any thoughts on abstaining until a bit of rain. I have a deep reservoir in mind for a bit hemp and tare angling.

It's a good question Pete.

I have just spent a fortnight's holiday, with the intention of some Summer Barbel fishing, only to abstain from it from the second day onwards and that was of my own accord and long before any bans came into force.

It's a discretion call, I don't think it rules out fishing altogether but I do think we have to consider the conditions which will vary greatly depending on the characteristics of the species and the water in question.

thecrow

Reaction score

I have carried on fishing the lake on my club book, the club have been very proactive by running pumps to aerate the water, is the DO level lower in deeper water or more stable?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have carried on fishing the lake on my club book, the club have been very proactive by running pumps to aerate the water, is the DO level lower in deeper water or more stable?

It's a balancing act. The deeper the water the lower the DO. However, the deeper a water is, the colder it's likely to be. The colder the water the higher the DO can be. I'd sooner fish a deeper, colder, stillwater during periods of high temperatures, but I'd probably avoid fishing the murkiest depths of it. The other issue to look out for on a big, deep, clear stillwater is algal blooms. Though not likely to have the serious repercussions it might have on a shallower water, it can still bring DO levels down.

daniel121

Reaction score
I've stopped fishing the trent full stop untill we get some rain.

My reasons are I don't get pleasure from fishing without a keepnet, regarding this I don't think I'd build a weight of trent slivers putting them directly back into the swim anyway but that's another debate. Anyway it' s my choice to use a net not the fishes personally I don't think putting fish in a net in the current conditions is fair, so therefore I'm not doing it.