Best knot for attaching braid to the spool?

fester

Reaction score
I want to load my new fixed spool size 1000 with 10lb braid, is the old arbor knot still the best way to go or is there a better alternative for braid?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always tie a uni/ grinner round the spool (cut the tag off first) and pull it nice and tight. If the braid slips at the very beginning I just put my finger and thumb on the knot and flush to the spool and pull it tight. It's never failed for me. You dont need the first couple of turns on the reel to be really tight as you can pull them tight once on and then it won't slip at all. I always put braid on under a little more tension than I do mono and then you don't get any digging in on itself causing overlaps during use....so keep the braid under a decent pressure as it goes on.

thecrow

Reaction score
Agree on the knot suggested, I would soak he braid in water overnight before loading it onto the reel as it does tend to go onto the reel better.

Philip

Reaction score
Dont know if I am the only one but I no longer knot my line to my spool. I just fix it with a small bit of electrical tape pulling the loose end under the tape so there is no tag end showing. 2 or 3 gentle winds onto the spool to start then you can reel it under pressure, as there is no knot everything is as flat as it can be.

I'm working on the principle that if a fish really takes me all the way to the spool then a knots not going to save me so why bother having one ?