Fishing superstitions

Another Dave

Reaction score
Setting up your net already mate? *inhales sharply through teeth*

Lucky hat? Lucky float? Magpie looks at you funny so you salute it?

What are your fishing superstitions and what other ones have you seen people do?

mikench

Reaction score
I am OCD so like to follow my little ritual when setting up ! I like my chair to be positioned just right , my rod rests at the right angle and height and my tools to be set out! If I don't do this I just don't feel right! I even now set up a large landing net with a Korum quick change cam attached in case a carp gate crashes my roach fishing! I am a sad case!:(

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I always looked out for magpies on the way to a match; it had to be the first sighting, 1 = so-so, 2 for a win, 3 for a match record, 4 and above = so-so.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No superstitions, as such. However, I invariably set up a landing net before a rod sees the light of day. It's got nothing to do with superstition, just a sensible attempt to never get caught out without a landing net ready to hand.

I even now set up a large landing net with a Korum quick change cam attached in case a carp gate crashes my roach fishing! I am a sad case!:(

Be careful with those things. I know a few anglers that have had them fail when used between landing net and handle.

theartist

Reaction score
I used to look at a stately home en route to the river as it always guaranteed a good barbel day, then I gave up as the river is full of barbel and i'd have to fish like an idiot not to catch some, now I sometimes look at the mansion and think lucky bu**ers living there, but then you think I'm the one going fishing so who cares

rayner

Reaction score
A small club I was in during the 90s used to fish around the Isle of Bute a couple of times a year.. We had loads of cod and ling on our first day on the sea.
That same night we were in a dockside bar and the lass singing was the most cockeyed person I'd ever come across. the next day everyone on the boat blanked.
The cockeyed lass got the blame. Never look at a cockeyed woman was our mantra.

Not really a superstition more like a truth.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really a superstition but more of a practicality . . . .

Whenever I was to have a day fishing, in the days when I was married, I would always wear a pair of lady's knickers.

This was not for luck you understand but simply cos the wife found that pair in the glove box of my car . . . .

chrissh

Reaction score
Being ex-navy, if someone whistling or singing into the wind near rivers or sea it will bring bad luck … it whistle up a storm

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven’t got any........touch wood.

Philip

Reaction score
Never used to throw in 13 bolies....still dont.

Keith M

Reaction score
After learning the hard way over the years; I now always pull my fishing rod in whenever Im going to pee behind a tree even when bites have been scarce. I’ve had too many wet legs.

If bites have stopped then I usually pour myself a drink; it’s amazing how the moment I pick up my cup my float goes under or my rodtip bends round.

Last edited: