The Method to the Method Feeder

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently started trying to use the method feeder for carp but I am having some difficulty actually hooking into anything. I use a small method feeder and pack in a homemade breadcrumb mix and add some hookbaits to it on the bank. I tuck my bait into the top of the method before I press it into the mold. I have my rod resting in a bite alarm, bait runner on and keep a close eye. The method feeder seems to be knocked around a lot but I only rarely hook into anything! There was a young lad and his dad on the bank yesterday and they were hooking up quite frequently using the method feeder.

Not sure what I am doing wrong but any tips would be appreciated.

Also, what are your opinions on hair rigging vs bait directly on the hook?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When fishing the method on a commercial pool I would always use a hair rigged bait rather than a bait directly on the hook.

What angle are you poitioning your rod to the water at?

You'd get more positive bites and hook-ups of you have an angle and not point the rod at where you have cast.

JackGE

Reaction score
When fishing the method on a commercial pool I would always use a hair rigged bait rather than a bait directly on the hook.

What angle are you poitioning your rod to the water at?

You'd get more positive bites and hook-ups of you have an angle and not point the rod at where you have cast.

Thanks for the quick response. Okay, I have tried both and thinking about it I've had more on the hair rig. I have it at an angle, maybe around 45 degrees, tight to the feeder .

chrissh

Reaction score
There a few thing that you could be doing wrong

What size & type of hooks are you using?

How long is your hook length?

And the type of hair rig you are using on what bait , band, push stop, bayonet?

Size of bait to the size of hook?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If the rod is out at 45º then it shoul five a proper indication of a bite. Sometimes I'll place my rod parallel with the bank though . . . .

The hair rig is what the method was designed for in the first instance, so I'd stick with that.

That leaves a couple of things, one small the other not so small.

Make sure that you have as sharp a hook as possible, to give you the best chance of a hook hold. I also change to a new hook after every 3 or 4 Carp

Then, I'd probably drop the breadcrumb mix in favour of moistened pellet.

Simply half fill spare 3 pint bait box with pellets, cover with water and put the top back on and then shake the water out.
That will mositen them sufficiently to make a good mix in the mould but break up after a short time in the water leaving the hook bait on top.

Good luck and let is know if the catch rate improves

Last edited:

JackGE

Reaction score
I actually bought some Drennan hooks and they're no where near as sharp as some that I got off Amazon (blue box and hook sizes are reversed).

I'd like to try pellet, I hadn't just for keeping the budget down with homemade baits. Have you got any particular pellets you'd recommend?

Thanks.

JackGE

Reaction score
There a few thing that you could be doing wrong

What size & type of hooks are you using?

How long is your hook length?

And the type of hair rig you are using on what bait , band, push stop, bayonet?

Size of bait to the size of hook?

The hooks I use are kind of wide gape, got them off amazon. I also have some Drennan and some NGT hooks off Amazon which came as a bundle. I adjust the hook size according to bait. Waggler fishing is my main method for carp and is in my opinion wildly underrated, I use size 10/12 depending on how finicky the fish are. I have tried so many different sized hooks for hair rigging, my tackle box is full of hairs with different lengths, hook types and sizes!

I have had success on good old hot dog and sweetcorn (bait stop) as well as dog biscuits/mixer with a pellet band.

JackGE

Reaction score
It does, but I also believe that if smaller fish are being attracted the carp will follow as they're probably making a fuss over food. This then leaves my hook bait and some loose bait which I throw around the method feeder, corn for example.

chrissh

Reaction score
The hooks I use are kind of wide gape, got them off amazon. I also have some Drennan and some NGT hooks off Amazon which came as a bundle. I adjust the hook size according to bait. Waggler fishing is my main method for carp and is in my opinion wildly underrated, I use size 10/12 depending on how finicky the fish are. I have tried so many different sized hooks for hair rigging, my tackle box is full of hairs with different lengths, hook types and sizes!

I have had success on good old hot dog and sweetcorn (bait stop) as well as dog biscuits/mixer with a pellet band.

Scale down your hook size & hook length, try to buy a good quality hook

The size 10-12s hooks you are using are too big and the hook length is too long I would only use them with boilies for bigger carp.

A 4” hook length is best for method feeders, come down in hook size 14-16 try GURU QM1 or Preston C1

Bait size 6 & 8mm pellets, or dumb bells

come down in hook size 14-16

nottskev

Reaction score
In addition to what's been said, which all makes sense: make sure your groundbait - I'd suggest dampened 2mm or 3mm pellets - is sticky enough to stay on til fish take it off. And when you cast in, let your feeder sink, then tighten up very slowly and carefully. Don't move the feeder. The whole idea is that your bait appears as fish dig into the layers of groundbait you've squeezed onto the feeder and over your hookbait. Your bait should be sitting on the feeder amid the groundbait as if on a plate. If your groundbait comes off prematurely, or your hookbait ends up away from the feeder, you no longer have a "method" set-up - just a poorly functioning leger rig. Don't bother about striking at little knocks and pulls - they just show you fish are at the feeder. The "method" is a self-hooking rig - a fish will hook itself against the weight and you'll see your tip pull round and keep pulling, as a rule.

JackGE

Reaction score
I'll use some smaller hooks, I have some 14s and 16s, the only reason I stopped using them as much was when the fish bolted they were straightening the hooks, I guess I could adjust the drag?

Other articles I have been reading have also suggested a 4" hook length. I'll be investing in some pellets and maybe dumb bells.

Thanks Chrissh

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
If they are straightening the hook on the take you are not using a strong enough hook.

JackGE

Reaction score
I've watched a few videos on how to dampen the pellets so will have to try and master that soon. I might actually invest in a feeder rod, too.

Thanks again ??????

Philip

Reaction score
It may be as simple as your just not leaving it long enough. Ignore the knocks and trembles, these will be small fish or fish knocking the line or feeder. Wait for an actual run.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've watched a few videos on how to dampen the pellets so will have to try and master that soon. I might actually invest in a feeder rod, too.

Thanks again ������

What type of rod are you using, ? Also use a 25g or 30g method feeder instead of a lighter one, what depth are you casting to ?
You want your pellets to stay on until feeder hits the bottom, A groundbait that is designed for method feeder is another option or milled pellets, It will be trial and error at first, The hooks mentioned in another post are ideal as is the length of the hooklength, You could try shortening it to 3" if still not connecting with the fish.

chrissh

Reaction score
I'll use some smaller hooks, I have some 14s and 16s, the only reason I stopped using them as much was when the fish bolted they were straightening the hooks, I guess I could adjust the drag?

Other articles I have been reading have also suggested a 4" hook length. I'll be investing in some pellets and maybe dumb bells.

Thanks Chrissh

If your hook are straightening I think you are using fine wire match hooks, the guru or Preston hook are a small version of a Circle Hooks which more or less self-hook the fish once the line is pulled tight

You can buy the hooks ready tied or lose in pack to tie your self

http://[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/qi9g4g62t/] [/URL]

http://[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

Last edited:

JackGE

Reaction score
It may be as simple as your just not leaving it long enough. Ignore the knocks and trembles, these will be small fish or fish knocking the line or feeder. Wait for an actual run.

Well a lot of the articles and videos I have watched have said to leave it around 15 minutes, I have had carp after 30 minutes and some after 30 seconds. I do ignore the knocking until the rod gets a good bend, even though it is tempting!

JackGE

Reaction score
What type of rod are you using, ? Also use a 25g or 30g method feeder instead of a lighter one, what depth are you casting to ?
You want your pellets to stay on until feeder hits the bottom, A groundbait that is designed for method feeder is another option or milled pellets, It will be trial and error at first, The hooks mentioned in another post are ideal as is the length of the hooklength, You could try shortening it to 3" if still not connecting with the fish.

Currently, I am using a 10ft carp rod as my other rod got caught in the storage door and shattered... I need to invest in another rod this month but the carp rod has been doing the trick with the bait runner set correctly.

As I usually fish the waggler, I tend to fish in the margins a lot, near the end of reed beds. It's amazing how many people lob their baits deep into the middle of the lake for hours whilst I am pulling fish out. Especially in this warmer weather you can see them close in.

Thanks for the pointer on the groundbait, supposedly it is quite good in the winter when bites are slow? Have you realised this?

JackGE

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I actually have that very method feeder. I will definitely have a look at those hooks, too.

I have heard some good press about peperami sticks, might chop this up and use pellet bands. Have you tried this instead of a pellet?