Pellets

steviebearuk

Reaction score
I know if you want to wet feed pellets you cover them in water for ie: 2mm/2mins 4mm/4mins ect. Due you do the same with halibut feed pellets.? Many thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
No, you gain little by soaking halibut pellets. They sink without soaking anyway, so it's a pretty pointless exercise.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use pellet a lot to be honest.

However, Halibut pellets are usually used as "feed" and they leak flavour into the water.

So, would that leakage rate not improve if the pellets were dampened first?

As I said, I rarely use them but it would seem logical . . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't use pellet a lot to be honest.

However, Halibut pellets are usually used as "feed" and they leak flavour into the water.

So, would that leakage rate not improve if the pellets were dampened first?

As I said, I rarely use them but it would seem logical . . . . .

Not really, they are rather hard and oily. Water barely penetrates, even after many hours, hence being pretty good as hookbaits for the larger species that you may have to wait a while for. The only thing I may occasionally do to prepare them would be to flash them with boiling water. However, I'd only do this for halibut pellets that I intended to put into a groundbait mix. I do it to increase the adhesion of the pellets rather than any thought of leakage. In a similar vein, I'd not choose to use any water based glug/bait dip/liquid additive on a halibut pellet. The density and high oil content of them makes it a bit pointless.