Recommend a smaller weigh sling

Another Dave

Reaction score
I don't want to spend more than i have to but all the budget slings i can find seem to be massive. Does anyone know where i can find a cheap weighing sling for fish about 2ft long. There's a chance it might see a slightly bigger carp or pike one day but i could always use a landing net if that ever happened.

mikench

Reaction score
NGT do a sensibly sized and inexpensive one! I bought it as i started out full of optimism and knowing no better and , needless to say it has never been used!

I use a korum quick release cam on my landing net and pole. My net weighs 8oz and i just detach the handle and weigh fish and net together and do the maths. The net is then clicked back on to the pole and the fish released. You wont see me anytime soon in the Drennan cup and this method is enough for me.

I would say, and this comment has been mirrored by Sam Vimes that the cam needs to be checked regularly and clicked into place firmly and, if you have a large fish ( double figure) the net should be lifted from the water by the spreader block and not the pole. i cracked one cam with a 24lb common( had to get that in) by not doing so and my fun and games on that occasion were documented in this thread two years ago.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I don't weigh fish very often, but when I do I also use a plastic bag. Some years ago I found an unusually strong example that has lasted well and is dead right for roach, crucians and the like. I punched a few holes in the bottom to allow water to drain (thus avoiding false readings!) and I try to have it, and the scales, ready to go and to hand so the fish is back in the water toot sweet. Very simple cost effective method, BUT you need to find a decent bag, OR change a lighter model more often!

If you go down this route it goes without saying the bag needs a thorough washing out, for obvious reason.....

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
If I'm travelling light, I use one the plastic bags you get when you buy wallpaper, there a good size and strong.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Buy wallpaper, seth49! Good grief, that is just asking for trouble!!

If I mentioned that to my wife she would be off for a few rolls like a shot, just to be sure I have sufficient bags for the future (only joking)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I carry weigh slings but they rarely get used. For me its either a plastic bag or weighed in the net unless I'm carping. Never yet found one that I was entirely happy with....as you say either way too big or too fiddly.

A mesh trout bass bag might work ? Same sort of thing but smaller though they do tend to be square in shape.

seth49

Reaction score
They will sell the wallpaper carriers for five pence each, saves buying wallpaper thankfully.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Someone has PM'd me and very kindly offered to give me a spare sling for free, many thanks there.

I generally don't weigh fish, but when i do i use the old plastic bag like so many here. However i am going somewhere public - a carp puddle at a Parkdean holiday camp - and i didn't want to look like a noddy. The kids will want to know the size of any fish they manage to catch. From what i gather it's more fish than water so we'll see and of course i will keep you lot updated.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dave, use a plastic bag.

Snap!....me too, especially if i'm after as near a correct reading as possible.
If i'm not concerned about an ounce or so either way I just use a landing net head.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A good few years ago when I was targeting large roach and dace, rudd and crucians I wanted a smaller sling too.

I bought a regular size one and had a good lady friend cut it down to the size I wanted and re-sow the edges and fit slightly shorter loops to fit the scales . . . .

A friend of mine also used an old landing net to have the same lady make a similar one.

I've never liked the idea of using a plastic bag to be honest but, I'm sure it is adequate.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you use but if you're concerned about accuracy then zeroing the net/bag before you weigh the fish matters - certainly those who say "Oh the net only weighs 8oz" or whatever tend to get found out when the net weighs a pound when it's wet. I can remember some lad telling me a bout all the 'pound' dace he was catching from my local river. He didn't know me from Adam and certainly didn't know that any dace over about 11oz was very rare in the river concerned. A bit later I caught an 8oz dace and he told me it definitely weighed over a pound but careful weighing revealed the true weight of 8oz which was my guess.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Plaggy bags are fine and dandy, until someone sees you putting a fish in one and gets the wrong idea. I've had more than the odd funny look using one as a weigh sling. Fortunately, only one person has been brave enough to say anything. He came stomping down the bank, running his mouth about "F'in Poles". Amusingly enough, it was on a bit of river I bailiff, and he wasn't even a member. Needless to say, he left and I didn't.

Philip

Reaction score
Crikey, I think the world is going a bit nuts if they think anyone using a plastic bag must be up to something. Fact is a plastic bag is probably more fish friendly than most nets.

Think I'll start weighing em in a frying pan just to see the looks I get :)