I was attacked while fishing!!

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Well guys, I encountered some horrible little sh*ts today who threw rocks at me while fishing a little spot under a bridge. I shouted at them and made my way towards them but by the time i got up there they had fled... I walked back to my spot and continued fishing, then five mins later they came back WITH BRICKS?! I stayed quiet and retreated under the bridge, I cant say I was scared but I definitely felt in danger. I thought about calling the police but we were in the middle of nowhere.. How could they help?

I couldn't believe this was happening to me! It reminded me of some of you guys saying you dont feel safe fishing rivers, I thought you guys were being a bit flaccid (at the time). As i stood under the bridge contemplating what to do, one of the bricks hit my backpack and my blood boiled. I sprinted to an alternative route around the other side of the bridge and climbed up to them.

As soon as they saw me they all sprinted off apart from one who said "I didnt throw anything bro" as soon as I was in arms reach I slapped him round the face to which he replied "you cant hit me im 15, im calling the police, I didnt even throw anything" :eek:mg: I must admit I picked up his bike and almost threw it in the canal but as soon as i lifted it above my head my blood cooled and I put it down and calmly explained what guilty by association is and how he shouldn't hang around with people who will let him catch their beating.

I felt ashamed explaining what happened to my better half and upon reflection im now at an impasse.

I cant help but feel I dealt with the situation badly but on the other hand.. What if it wasnt me under that bridge, what if i was vulnerable, disabled or still in a wheelchair as i was a month or so ago? When would they have stopped throwing bricks? When I was dead or hurt? Should I have tried to restrain one of them and called the police? What would you have done? What should I have done?

Reaction score
For God's sake,your lucky it wasn't a slightly older,cockier group,as to what you should do,that's tricky,as you running up the side of the bridge might have ended up with you getting stabbed,I'm afraid it's just another cautionary tale,which will probably lead to avoiding that venue,with your next trip being a look over your shoulders sort of day,ba5tards....

thecrow

Reaction score
What you should have done was to talk to them, asked them if they were unhappy were they having trouble at home, was there something missing in their lives that you could help with.......................... and then threw one of them in the cut the poor dears.

mikench

Reaction score
You were potentially fortunate! Who can say how we would react individually in the same circumstances! I suspect you are a young man and when I was your age I might have acted similarly but now older, wiser and with responsibilities I believe discretion is the better part of valour! I might have taken photos and contacted the police but doubt they would have done much! I certainly wouldn't return to that spot! Over the years I have refused to leave my car somewhere dubious even in a supermarket car park and am still very particular! I have looked at many venues for fishing , mainly stretches of canal and felt the car would have been too far away! Club stickers on the windscreen and tackle visible inside tend to tell a story! Keep safe!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In these litigious times all you did was to place yourself in a position whereby you were making yourself liable to a law suit or even a possible charge of common assault. There was also the high risk of maybe being stabbed as well.

Surely it was better to seek seek a safe refuge (as you did under the bridge) and use your mobile to call the police?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agree with Peter, your biggest mistake was to continue fishing after the first round of rock throwing, I would have left the scene and found somewhere else to fish.

daniel121

Reaction score
I find this really sad, this happened to my son many moons ago, I remember the commotion I was fishing upstream. Unfortunately it put him off fishing a really good venue.

I personally think although the problem has always been there, after all there has/will always be idiots I don't believe it's got worse due to the way we parent kids today. These changes have been forced upon us by movement across all political parties of recent years. This movement has been really good at the implementation of change but really poor at the evaluation of change, poor is a huge understatement because the evaluation process has been totally absent.

I feel link to the growing lack of respect in our communities and a lack of patriotism is clearly linked to the changes which have been forced upon us. There is a huge difference between discipline and abuse.

Unfortunately your going to have to find another venue as the minority continue to rule the majority, my thoughts are of sorrow but happiness that you didn't come across real scum kids because if you did, they would not of ran off, they of pulled knives and attacked like the dogs they are. :mad:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
We were all kids once and if you think about it actions like this are done to elicit a reaction. Having been in similar situations myself I find staying calm and ignoring them (difficult I know) soon makes them go away and find someone else to wind up.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Imo you let him off far to lightly. There are times when you just have to do what you've gott'a do and £uck the consequences!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
These changes have been forced upon us by movement across all political parties of recent years. This movement has been really good at the implementation of change but really poor at the evaluation of change, poor is a huge understatement because the evaluation process has been totally absent.

I feel link to the growing lack of respect in our communities and a lack of patriotism is clearly linked to the changes which have been forced upon us. There is a huge difference between discipline and abuse.

:

Can you explain this to me in plain English, sounds like Diane Abbott speak.

Last edited:

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
What a sad post, but hardly suprising anymore. Kids have no rules to respect. Slowly over the years we have pandered to the limp wristed handwringers. You reap what you sow, will it get any better, no.... it will just get worse.

The lack of respect in our society for law and order is quite remarkable. The police and the judiciary are next to useless, and don't get me started on the politicians who are supposed to manage and protect this country. Hug a hoody anyone?

We pander to these scotes, with platitudes about how unfortunate they are, so it's ok to go on the rob then, or sell drugs as a way of making a living innit. Those scrote bags running around Oxford street on scooters, robbing high end jewellers, brandishing machetes and knives. Sorry but one or two of those need shooting, but instead we do sweet FA. We pander to them, if you want to set rules, you need to show the population that breaking the law will not be tolerated under any circumstances, thats how you set boundaries.

However its far too late for that.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I hate the summer holidays. Packs of feral kid wandering about causing trouble everywhere. There are places I wont fish during the summer...certainly not alone.

However much you might feel like confronting the little scrotes its just not worth it nowadays. Who knows what they are carrying and no fish or principle is worth the possibility of serious injury....or worse.

I've not experienced a direct threat but I have been pestered and upset by these mindless herberts. Fortunately I am usually with my minders...Big Phil and Big Dave neither of whom have ever taken a step backwards in their life. Its very reassuring and a lot quicker thsn the police.

Keith M

Reaction score
I know it’s difficult because I was not there but I would have called the police and then taken pictures of the scum on my phone.

It’s only happened to me once and I pretended to call someone on the phone and said in a loud voice “Ok guys see you in a couple of minutes and bring the dogs with you” and this actually worked as the scum scarpered; but it wouldn’t work every time :)

Keith

daniel121

Reaction score
S63 I'm a little unsure where the confusion is? However Keith and Peter have liked this so others clearly feel the same?

I'm 72 I was parented very differently to someone who is currently 18 for example. This change has been forced upon us by movement with cross party support, the results of the implementation of these changes has led to changes in our society. The lack of respect for elders is a prime example.

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I know it’s difficult because I was not there but I would have called the police and then taken pictures of the scum on my phone.

It’s only happened to me once and I pretended to call someone on the phone and said in a loud voice “Ok guys see you in a couple of minutes and bring the dogs with you” and this actually worked as the scum scarpered; but it wouldn’t work every time :)

Keith

Sadly the police seem powerless/unwilling to do anything Keith, also in some instances the parents are equally as bad, in some cases the bigger brother may come down to back them up!

Recently someone said to me 'there is more responsibility placed on a the actions of a dog owner than a parent has on the actions of their children'. That made me think, he was right.

I don't know what I'd of done, I just feel desperately sad for the OP.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
S63 I'm a little unsure where the confusion is? However Keith and Peter have liked this so others clearly feel the same?

I'm 72 I was parented very differently to someone who is currently 18 for example. This change has been forced upon us by movement with cross party support, the results of the implementation of these changes has led to changes in our society. The lack of respect for elders is a prime example.

What a load of tosh. Admittedly I’m younger than you but only by seven years and was brought up in Southwest London which was a very tough environment indeed.

Football grounds were used for groups gathering to display their violence, being an ardent Chelsea fan I witnessed it firsthand in the grounds and beyond after the match. It was going on all over the country in every major town and city. Fights and stabbings in pubs and clubs were commonplace too. Never went to school on a Monday morning without seeing a boy proudly showing a black eye or scarred face, it was the norm.
The media was different back then and without internet or social media a lot of this went under the radar.

Roll forward a decade or two and I was working as a crew driver for ITN covering the Brixton and Notting Hill riots.

You can go back further to see similar anti social behaviour it’s just different, back then it was often violence for the fun of it, now it’s about drugs or wanting something that belongs to someone else.

As for......
“This change has been forced upon us by movement with cross party support, the results of the implementation of these changes has led to changes in our society.”

Still not jargon I can comprehend, must be my sarf lunden education.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Imo you let him off far to lightly. There are times when you just have to do what you've gott'a do and £uck the consequences!

I think this post displays an immature attitude and also an ambivalent attitude to dispensing summary justice.

Unfortunately it’s also the same attitude as my own. Sometimes your better nature is tested to the limit, having rocks thrown at me would do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve had similar way back in the 80’s fortunately I was on one side of the bank and they on the other. A few rounds of catapult fire buggered them off.

Glad you wasn’t hurt ocfd, I’d be well mad myself and in the past would probably react in a similar fashion. Now I’m in my 50’s and after witnessing the immediate aftermath of a stabbing which took the life of a young man I’d think twice.

Main thing is your safe & unharmed.

daniel121

Reaction score
I'd say the total opposite to the vile Abbot.

It's the total opposite of Abbott.

I think S63 is clearly misunderstanding what I'm writing. If he genuinely believes we are parenting children the same today as we did when he and myself was young, then I'd suggest he gives a misbehaving child a clip round the ear and see where that gets him. Regarding my jargon I'm very sorry but I simply don't know how to simplify it, genuinely?

Last edited: