Downsizing

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Being a terrible tackle tart and hoarder I realise now that I have far too many rods....many of which I will never use and yet which are perfectly good. I need to get rid of some/ lots.

Now.....is it worth the hassle of trying to sell those with a bit of resale value or should I just dump them ? Or donate them and if so to whom ?

I thought of a car boot but tbh the very idea of doing one fills me with horror !

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are there any clubs in your area that hold open days for kids or teaching sessions? I’m sure they’d be delighted to have some of your kit.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My dear S-Kippy, you appear to be suffering from an ailment quite common with many recently retired gentlemen . . . .

You obviously cannot be "right" if you are thinking of divesting yourself of any rods whatsoever; the idea of retirement is to spend even more time on the banks using each and every one of your beloved rods.

I would recommend a cure of, firstly, having a long lie down in a darkened room followed by some retail therapy at your local tackle shop . . . .

If this condition continues then it might be necessary to have a "guardian of the tackle" appointed to prevent further deterioration. I think either of your toe big mates would be more than happy to volunteer.

PS: if neither of the two suggestions is successful then I will have to bring our the "big guns" and take you on a forced golf game to prove to you that there are far more things worse than fishing with your favourite rods . . . .consider yourself . . . warned

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Peter, can you delete this thread before Sam sees it and has a nervous breakdown. Skip, you should be ashamed of yourself writing stuff like that where Sam can see it, what were you thinking?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Peter, can you delete this thread before Sam sees it and has a nervous breakdown. Skip, you should be ashamed of yourself writing stuff like that where Sam can see it, what were you thinking?

Andy....Ive simply accumulated far too much gear over many,many years and I'm fishing less and less as I get older. Ive thrown very little away and its simply reached the point where I've got to get rid of a lot of it. I have several rods that have never been used and several more that have been used only a handful of times and are unlikely ever to be used again.

I'm suffering from a very bad case of reality atm. Not been out since March and dont feel like going out either.

I'm serious. There's a fair bit of what I consider junk but also some reasonable gear and I'd rather it went to a good home than down the dump or stayed in my shed.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
All joking aside S-Kippy, I reckon that the local juniors would be over the moon to receive some half decent kit . . . your local clubs should be able to offer to come and take it away . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score

Not at all, I keep threatening to do the same myself. I've more than the odd rod that is all but redundant and isn't likely to see much use. However, I've got to be absolutely sure before letting things go. My biggest problem is that I can't be pestered with the hassle of selling for peanuts, but I'm not wealthy enough to be in a position to give stuff away.

Skippy's most obvious candidate for culling must be his Acolyte. If it's not going to get used, there's not much point hanging on to it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Not at all, I keep threatening to do the same myself. I've more than the odd rod that is all but redundant and isn't likely to see much use. However, I've got to be absolutely sure before letting things go. My biggest problem is that I can't be pestered with the hassle of selling for peanuts, but I'm not wealthy enough to be in a position to give
Skippy's most obvious candidate for culling must be his Acolyte. If it's not going to get used, there's not much point hanging on to it.

True....and I am seriously considering moving it on but there are lots of others that dont ( and are not to likely to) get used either and If that's the case then why am I keeping them ? Laziness or sentimentality I guess but its not easy to let an old favourite go that's served me well and which prompts so many memories. I need to be cold and callous but that's not in my nature.

I'm pretty sure I've a few classics that people would give me something for but selling and moving rods in particular is such a pain.

Think I'll start by clearing out the definate " get rid ofs" and donate them to somebody who will put them to good use.

Re the Acolyte it seems i just need to use it once or twice and it will cull itself. Job done !

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Re the Acolyte it seems i just need to use it once or twice and it will cull itself. Job done !

If it's better for something than other options you may have, you may as well get it used. The worst that can happen is that it breaks as you expect it to. My six, three of which are Ultras, have refused to break so far, and it's not for the want of use.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I am out with him on Friday Tigger, think I will take some old stuff in case he takes a fancy to my gear, I am trying to educate him in that less is more, The last time we were out, the amount and variety of bait was tremendous. This time I said take 2 or 3 baits and make them work for you, maggots will catch anything, so take one or two more baits, My choice is maggots, meat and corn, one of those,either meat or corn will be a "throwaway" line, If one does not fish , make the other work for you. All I have to do now is convince 8 swims Mike that it is possible. Also what old tackle to take, :wh

john step

Reaction score
I think what Chriss posted is good about donating it for a good cause. Recently on here a SUE decided to do the same with her Dads tackle.
The Angling Trust has similar contacts and when a neighbour of mine died I contacted them and a rep came and took it for one of these kids projects so no hassle about deliveries and postage etc.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The Childrens society gets all the excess tackle that a friend and I get to go through. And if its to large for the shop, we sell it and donate the money, Any rubbish/broken tackle that is in the batches we get, goes straight in the bin,
At one time I donated tackle to the junior section of my local club, but later on I found out the juniors never received some of it, so the next donations went to a young carers group a couple of us had taken to Partridge lakes for the day, Rods, reels, poles, whips, luggage, the were pleased with the tackle and the day out, some had never fished before but soon got into things and really enjoyed it,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wish. I just cant be bothered with the hassle of selling though there are one or two I might stick on the bay. The rest I'm not using and wouldnt miss so might as well get rid of.

Skippy, have you got any marksman smuggler rods your getting shut of?