Fear of fishing alone. Perception or reality? (long!)

fishplate42

Reaction score

Fishing with other people, like the missus and, as here, with a fellow forum member is my ideal in a public place

Before I say anything, I am questioning my own reasoning here. I have just been reading C.C.F.D's post on being attacked while fishing. I am sorry for his experience and I would not have liked to have been put in that situation. As a younger man, I probably would have chased after the kids, and I would not have thought twice about getting physical. But that was then, an era when we may have let the coppers bike tyres down, even knocked his helmet off from behind a wall but there was respect there of a sort. We knew if he caught us we were in for a whack around the head with a leather glove.

The last thing we would have done, would have been to rush home and tell our parents for fear of 'another clip around the ear'ole' I truly believe that the things we got up to as kids was mischief, we didn't damage things for 'fun' nor did we feel we had to be armed. If there was a dispute we would usually end up in a 'bundle' rolling around on the floor, more worried about the consequences of getting our clothes dirty. We did not abuse other people, and certainly not adults, we may have annoyed them with our antics and noise, but we would not have even considered throwing stones at an adult, let alone bricks.

Personally, I have found that peoples perception of others has a lot to do with it. Growing up in post-war south east London was tough. What we call 'organised crime' these days was a part of everyday life. Everybody claimed to know a 'Richardson', though very few did. There was a sort of glamour (if that is the right word) associated with the folklore that was total myth compared with the barbaric reality of real life. There was not the communication available then. Rumour and perceptions were transmitted by word-of-mouth, and of course, were glamorised, exaggerated and personalised. It was all perception, with very little fact to back up the stories. Yes, gangs like the Richardsons were extremely violent, but the fear was much greater than the reality for the normal 'bloke-in-the-street.

It is easy to follow a stereotype. I remember one day when I was writing for an article for a national woodworking magazine, the editor and his photographer decided to visit us at our industrial unit, in south east London, to take some photographs. After a long drive they both needed to use the facilities. We had a huge toilet in the unit that was wheelchair friendly as was the norm for new commercial spaces then and now. It was the size of a small store room and as such, only having a small unit, it was used to store all sorts of stuff. After they had used the 'facilities' they both came over and asked, What is that strong, oily smell in the? "Gun oil" I said "What?!!" came the startled reply. I continued "It is from the gun case in the corner. Every good South London factory has a shotgun" With this Sue produced a large plastic mixing bowl full of shotgun cartridges, and announced "It's for these". Well, the two guys who were a bit wet behind the ears and used to the quieter life of East Sussex, cream teas and public schools, were speechless as the blood drained from their faces. I wish Sue and I had been able to keep a straight face, but we could not.

The reality was that Sue's father had recently passed away, he was a farmer and none of us had gun licences. The guns were taken to the local armoury for safe keeping after getting advice from the local police and the gun case was kept, and ended up in our toilet. Being an enclosed room for most of the time, the gun oil smell became rather obvious. As for the cartridges, the police said it was not illegal to store those without any kind of licence, and as we intended to pass them on to a farmer friend of the family it was okay to keep them.

The point of my story is to show that we all (and I include myself in that) conceive situations to be more or less 'dangerous' by drawing on our own experiences, predigests, fear and even indoctrinated stereotyping. It is extremely common within our own hobby, picture a 'carper' a fly fisherman or a poacher.

I do not like fishing alone in a public place. I have two reasons for this. Security, both personal and for my gear is one, the other is, unless I am fully mobile what do I do if I need a pee or anything else that requires I walk away from my peg? My biggest fear is intimidation on a lonely canal or river bank and that alone will spoil the enjoyment of the day. Totally different if there are two of us (or more). I want to go fishing and enjoy myself, not to spend the entire time busting to spring a leak or looking over my shoulder. That is the main reason I like to visit secure commercials.

Ralph.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no fear of fishing alone, infact most of my fishing is done alone. The majority of my old pals have lost interest in fishing altogether and they deffo don't like my stlye of fishing anyhow, which on some days can involve a fair bit of walking/exersice and they prefer to sit it out in a peg as close to the vehicle as possible knowing they can be back in the car sharpish and in the pub without breaking into a sweat :rolleyes:.
At the end of the day, if people do pick on me, which they have on more than a few occassions, they always regret it, problem for me is they always go crying to the police....!

theartist

Reaction score
I prefer to fish alone, all the gear is usually to hand if somewhere dodgy, never understood how anglers can carry so much stuff anyhow and leave it lying around, leaving it unattended is crazy unless it's a gated club water. End of the day it's more likely to kick off with an out of control dog and it's owner, cyclist, boat owner or inconsiderate anglers than hooded gangsters. It's the little trivial arguments on the bank that your not expecting that can escalate that can cause the most issues. Like I said before sometimes you have to suffer fools.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think it is certainly a consideration nowadays. Whether that is because I'm a lot older or the likelihood of encountering a scrote or two is hard to say. There are places I avoid but that is largely because they are frequented by skanky people and I like a bit of solitude. There isnt anywhere I can think of that I would not fish alone for fear of being picked upon though there are places I wouldnt visit for fear of my car getting done and I cannot fish properly if I'm worrying about my car all the time.

I'm rarely in the wilds in any case...usually its club waters or secure commercials and I dont feel threatened there at all. As I said on the other thread I am fortunate in having two mates who have a bit of "presence" and who do not suffer idiots gladly. Phil may be getting on a bit but he is still someone you would do well not to annoy or mess with. Big Dave is a little more tolerant but no less physically daunting. Flanked by those two I'd fish anywhere.

No fish is worth it so my logic says if you are concerned about certain venues then just dont go there.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who’s the devilishly handsome member in your photo? :)

Ralph as you know, I’ve fished the Canterbury section of the Stour literally hundreds of times now and at no point felt threatened or insecure, probably because it’s such a busy public area, for sure you get the odd nutter but I’ve also met some very interesting people along the way. Fishing a remote isolated area is another matter all together and something I’d rather do in the company of a fellow angler. As for needing the loo...I’ve got that one sussed and no it doesn’t require incontinance pants.

I’ve just started fishing the sea and was up to my knees in warm water at a 6am high tide this morning, just me, the gulls and a lone dog walker, feels safe enough.

Anyway Ralph you have absolutely no excuse, you have your own private fishing section on the Medway and there has always been an open invitation for some company with me on the Stour, I just don’t think we can prise you away from your favourite commies and if that’s where you feel safest no need for change.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It's a possibility you could become the subject of abuse, violence or intimidation anywhere you go these days. The most likely is when driving a vehicle. If you worry about it too much you'd never go anywhere.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I have never felt "threatened" on any venue that I have fished.

Over the years I have had a couple of "discussions" with paddlers and the odd (in every sense of the word) P*T* supporters.

As for the Police, I have called them 3 times over the last few years to report theft of fishing rights and threatening behavior and on each occasion they have attended in relatively quick time.

In the main I fish relatively private sections of the Hampshire Avon, the Itchen, the Test or the occasional commercial fishery or club lakes so maybe that is why I've never really had a problem.

Even though the fisheries are "private" there is still a public right of way over the adjacent land.

I like to think I would keep my "cool" if approached by any of these scallys, but you never know until it actually happens . . . . . .

fishplate42

Reaction score
It's a possibility you could become the subject of abuse, violence or intimidation anywhere you go these days. The most likely is when driving a vehicle. If you worry about it too much you'd never go anywhere.

I drive a big Transit and rarely get abused. One advantage of that is the perception that every van driver in London carries a baseball bat under the seat. That, of course is an urban myth... It is under the dashboard!

Ralph :eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't have an issue fishing on my own in the middle of nowhere, though I suspect that will change as I get older. However, there are plenty of places that I wouldn't go, on my own or in company. I avoid places close to urban areas, free waters, spots close to public roads and well used public footpaths. There's a good syndicate water very close to home that I'll never join. It's got excellent road access, has a couple of well populated areas in walking distance and is well known to all and sundry. There are club controlled parts of the local river that I avoid for the similar reasons, especially in summer.

Jelster

Reaction score
I virtually always fish alone, even on the free bits of the Colne. There is one bit close to a travellers site, but I haven't had any problems with them in 10 years or so.

All 3 of my local commercials have loo's on site, and at 2 of them, I'm confident enough to bring my rods in and leave my gear while I goo for a pee... These 2 also have decent cafe's, and I've seen guys bring their lines in and go and sit in the cafe while it's quiet.

My usual haunt, which is the Colne also borders a lake which is free to fish. I'd happily fish there until dusk on my own, but wouldn't fancy being down there on my own in the dark....

Keith M

Reaction score
If I’m fishing with a public footpath running behind me then I’m fine and I don’t feel threatened at all, but I do tend to worry about my car being broken into on a couple of these waters.

I remember my wife and I were walking my dog around a local club gravel pit one morning when an angler who had been Carp fishing overnight awoke from his bivvie to find that someone had switched his bite alarms off and then cut through his line and run off with both of his rods. He ran past us asking if we’d seen anyone with his rods.

I have over 20 different club waters to fish and nearly all of these (other than one or two) are either very remote and well away from human habitat or securely fenced and locked; even our rivers are very hard to get at if you don’t have keys.

Keith

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I fish on my own 95% of the time and don't fish private waters or commericals, I generally fish rivers and can be anywhere from the middle of a village to the middle of nowhere. I'll be admit to being fairly well built but I've never had a single issue in all the years I've been fishing and certainly don't feel scared unless I've waded too deep :doh:

I do think the news has created a fear of crime greater than is justified.

chrissh

Reaction score
I think it all depends where you live, there a lot of river that I won’t fish around the bigger town/city
But quite happy fishing rivers out in the stick on my own or with a friend.

The same can be said for commercials.

Last year I was fishing with a friend on a commercial a guy in his 50s how had been fishing 5 or 6 peg down from me had packed up and was walk past other anglers asking how they had go on. When he ask me and picked up on my accent (southern) he said you can f**k off back down south we don’t want southern C**T`S up her.

My mate how is from Sheffield jump up along with two other anglers how I did not know and said did I hear him right and proceeded to have a go at the so call friendly fisher man, asking him what was his problem with me, his reply was he`s f***ing southern ant he!!!

There good and bad in every town/City and Race

mikench

Reaction score
Why do we discuss the demise of the Neanderthal when many are alive and well and living throughout the UK!!

john step

Reaction score
I think it all depends where you live, there a lot of river that I won’t fish around the bigger town/city

Last year I was fishing with a friend on a commercial a guy in his 50s how had been fishing 5 or 6 peg down from me had packed up and was walk past other anglers asking how they had go on. When he ask me and picked up on my accent (southern) he said you can f**k off back down south we don’t want southern C**T`S up her.

My mate how is from Sheffield jump up along with two other anglers how I did not know and said did I hear him right and proceeded to have a go at the so call friendly fisher man, asking him what was his problem with me, his reply was he`s f***ing southern ant he!!!

There good and bad in every town/City and Race

I had a similar encounter but in the reverse so to speak last year on a canal up at Crowle.
A chap stopped for a chat and after hearing my accent actually said to me"You are from down south but I will talk to anyone!"

Another occasion I was walking on the top of Kinder Scout and a collie dog was chasing and attacking sheep. The two young women it belonged to were taking no notice whatsoever. If I had to guess I would say they looked like professional 30 somethings.

I called out that the dog was attacking sheep with lambs and got a similar amount of abuse about going f..ing back down south and minding my own business.
There are even female Neanderthals about Mike it seems.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score

I was going to say that ‘if he’d had been on a club water then he would have been turfed out of the club with his feet not touching the ground’ but all you northerners would probably have said “ who the southerner? :pound:

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I'm not sure Neanderthals had masculine and famine traits ! I use the term in a perjorative manner! I never cease to be be amazed at the levels of depravity, ignorance and stupidity humans can stoop to!

I cannot believe the race has ever progressed beyond the apes!