Pegging a brolly

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
After doing without one for many years, increasing age has persuaded me to invest in a Preston Innovations Flat Back Brolly. It has two pegging points at the rear, but some of the swims on the club waters I fish need a guy line and pegging onto grass 3 or 4 feet behind concrete platforms.

The brollies i remember using in my youth used to have a large split ring through a hole in the hard nylon top cap and through this you passed your guy line.

The Preston brolly has a hole (or rather a sort of tunnel) in the top cap, but no split ring. My question is - should I fit a split ring, or can I safely just use the existing hole? If the idea of the split ring was to relieve pressure on the top cap, then I probably should. But if they've improved in recent years and there's no need, I'll have saved myself a job!

Apologies for going into such length - this is what comes of getting out of touch with modern materials and designs...

flightliner

Reaction score
David, just go straight thro the top cap.
I used the split rings years ago but the modern caps have never given me any bother.

Philip

Reaction score
One of the best anwsers to a "How to" question i have seen for a long time.

Nice one Chrissh!

mikench

Reaction score
I think you will find the brolly has 3 pegging points! The bell housing at the top is fine for guy ropes. Avid carp and others do screw in pegs for wooden platforms or tree roots and they work well!

Remember to pitch the brolly with the wind, particularly if strong, behind you! No brolly will resist a strong head wind!

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I think you will find the brolly has 3 pegging points!

I have the new(ish) version with the fibreglass arms and can only see 2 pegging points on the flat back part of the brolly - it came with two pegs in a separate bag, which I assume must relate to the number of pegging points? Maybe the older version of the brolly had 3?

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have the flatback with the fibreglass arm, it has two pegging points, As for guy rope I just went through hole in the bell housing,
If you are using it with a seatbox with external legs , I would recommend the PI brolly attachment , the larger one that has the longer arms. Ideal for hard standing pegs or platforms.

mikench

Reaction score
My brolly on reflection is about two years old and is the Spacemaker Flat Back and it has 3 pegging points and fibreglass arms I believe! I have several guy ropes just in case!!!

sagalout

Reaction score
The orange gismo does look like a good bit of kit but my mean little brain says you would get the same effect by putting a dowel (the peg you ain't using because it is a wooden platform would be ideal) through the loop of the guy rope and then putting the dowel horizontally below the boards and at 90 degrees to the slot between the boards.

Reaction score
One suggestion is to follow the carp anglers and use storm rods,these screw on the top right and left spokes of your brolly,I use extendable banksticks to get the height right,they stop flapping which causes damage to the brolly,this is on top of a set of guy ropes and the two pegging points,it makes a very stable fishing position.

mikench

Reaction score
I have yet to find storm pole adaptors for the Preston flat back brolly which will fit!

chrissh

Reaction score
I have yet to find storm pole adaptors for the Preston flat back brolly which will fit!

The ribs/spokes on the Preston & Korum fibre brolly are the same give Korum a call and order the storm pole adaptors that come with the Korum Graphite Brolly Shelter

Korum / Preston innovations
Unit 1 High bridge Court
Stafford Park 1
Telford
ShropshireTF3 3BD
Tel: 01952 290520

Reaction score

Did you say earlier you have fibre spokes,I have 2 korum Brookes and they fit my steel ones,I believe the plasic/fibre ones have too much flex,the storm rods make a pretty well indestructible shelter in even the biggest gusts,all you have to do is make sure all pegging and fixing points are secure every few hours and haven't loosened.

mikench

Reaction score
Alan the spokes are fibreglass! Chrissh suggested Korum and Preston sell adaptors but I cannot find reference to them on either of their websites! As I have a Trakker brolly for really bad weather or persistent rain I'm not too bothered but they might have been handy!