Stret-pegging????

chrissh

Reaction score
I have fished all my life and never heard of Stret-pegging is this another name for holding the float back when trotting a float?

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My understanding of it is float, several same sized shot strung out, about 3-4ft over depth or even more sometimes, most of the shot near the hook. Balanced right with the flow you hold the float back and every now and then lift the rod tip and let some line out and the current will carry it down a ft or two, stop and wait a while and then repeat the process. Supposed to be good for searching a swim out and or working your bait under a bush or something or searching where the fish are.. Its sort of just laying on but with a bit of difference, nice way to fish if just don't want to trot all day which can be a bit wearisome, does the same thing really but a bit slower and your fishing hard on the bottom all the time which is sometimes how the fish like it..
Often seen in old angling books with diagrams, don't hear of it much now.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Typically it is fishing off the end of the rod with an over depth and over shotted float.

You run the bait through the swim a yard at a time by lifting the rod tip and allowing the bait to travel downstream.

Can be deadly on its day.

Last edited:

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I saw a video ages ago with john wilson stret pegging on a river for carp.it was a float fished well over depth and the float laying flat on the surface and when you got a bite the float lifted then disappeared.
If i remember all the shot was on the bottom.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing static is laying on and holding back sporadically during a trot is stret pegging.

daniel121

Reaction score
Typically it is fishing off the end of the rod with an over depth and over shorted float.

You run the bait through the swim a yard at a time by lifting the rod tip and allowing the bait to travel downstream.

Can be deadly on its day.

This is exactly what I'd call "pegging" used to be deadly in the old coloured rivers of old

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
This is how I was shown many years ago. A lift on the float will make the hook and bait move downstream. A bite and the float will go under.

image.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
So stret-pegging is when you smoke a pipe and speak like David Niven?

Only joking. Lovely videos.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Chris ! Awfully good and jolly interesting! A byegone age but very nice !:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Then why does it say stret pegging?

Because they don't know their harris from their elbow ;).

Laying on describes itself perfectly....laying on, static, legering.
Stret pegging is just holding back as and when you want to as you trott down your swim.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well I dont know. What Bernard was doing to me was simply holding back....that's not what I understood to be stret pegging. I always thought stret pegging was more akin to what Simon described...an overshotted float fished overdepth and worked slowly down the swim as opposed to being fished static which imo is laying on.

????

nottskev

Reaction score
Since the term's fairly obsolete, it's not surprising we've got a bit of amnesia about it, and there's less than consensus on the meaning.

What's more surprising is that no-one's mentioned exactly the same debate ran for 5 pages in 2016 - with many of the same contributors, (and links to the same videos) although some have changed their tune a little.

Not sure how you link to a previous thread, so

Just what is stret-pegging?

Now, what did I come upstairs for :)