Knot again

iain t

Reaction score
What would you say is the strongest knot to join braid to fluoro. In my beach fishing days, I've used the double Uni and Alberto knots. I did try the GT knot but it was a total knightmere to tie. Would like your input.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I use the albright knot, I find it easy to tie but a little time consuming. I have no idea if it's the strongest but it's never let me down

EDIT

I didn't know what the Alberto's knot was so I googled it, it's basically the albright knot it's just the number of turns that differ. In the albright you wrap up 10-12 turns and wrap down 5-6 turns.

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
Think i might stick with the double Uni as it's easy to tie. Like the GT i can see me muck up the Bimini twist.

Another Dave

Reaction score
What's the one where you sort of whip the mainline round the leader about 8 times, stick the end through the loop, then do the same with the leader round the braid, then slide to two knots together. That's the one i use, never failed.

thecrow

Reaction score
What's the one where you sort of whip the mainline round the leader about 8 times, stick the end through the loop, then do the same with the leader round the braid, then slide to two knots together. That's the one i use, never failed.

Sounds like the double uni (grinner) its a good knot.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I think its either maver or daiwa who do a gadget that will do it for you in seconds, the knot looks like some described on here, I saw an article on some feeder anglers and how they tie braid to mono, Do a double overhand knot at the end of the braid, tie a small loop in end of mono, fold loop over on itself and put knotted end of braid through folded over loop, pull loop tight behind knot, moisten and slide the mono down to the knot, ( same as putting a pole rig on a dacron connector ) It is neat and unobtrusive, no bulky knot rattling through rodrings, and easy to change the length of mono as required without having to cut braid and rejoin mono and braid.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Albright or albero knot for me.

By the way, stret pegging is what captain Bernard was doing ;).

Another Dave

Reaction score
Sounds like the double uni (grinner) its a good knot.

That's the fella. My description was terrible.

c43a120ac9ed25c911e620dbbbbc759b.jpg

Another Dave

Reaction score
While we're on knots, I always use a palomar for hooks, swivels etc. I don't think it matters which way the hook is facing, but willing to be corrected. Also, does anyone know where it got its name?

wetthrough

Reaction score
I don't use the Palomar so don't know whether it matters but when I have tied them if I did it the 'wrong' way the loop that forms towards the hook tended to catch on the loop wire end. Probaly not an issue with bigger hooks and line as it's easier to guide it over.

flightliner

Reaction score
Are any of these knot applications used in fly fishing by any chance by fm users as it's often the case that extremely long leaders are used and "bulky" knots can be irksome at the point of entry at the tip ring. No bother if the leader is about the same length as the rod or a foot or two at most longer .

iain t

Reaction score
I've stuck with the Double Uni as i know it's reliable. For lures i always just the Palomar Knot, I've used it on flies as well. Not sure it's the right knot for flies but it worked for me.