Rivers in East Sussex !

hondated

Reaction score
Hi everyone as I wrote in my introduction I am new to fishing and seeking information from wherever I can get it.
That said then I was recently in my local tackle shop where I met another man returning to fishing and I asked him whether he went to a couple of commercial lakes. He said he didn't but instead would rather fish on a river, where he could be alone.

I thought that was fair enough and something I would also like to do so I started looking on the Web for rivers. But as you all probably know that is easier said than done.

Which brings me to my question is there a way of finding rivers you can fish that aren't club waters.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks

john step

Reaction score
Not sure why you would dismiss club waters. They could be the best value over a season. I suspect there is not much free fishing in East Sussex being a expensive part of the country.
There is the Sussex Ouse that if memory serves is tidal lower down and seem to recall reports of decent fishing.
The best bet is to have another chat with the tackle shop. Maybe a day or two exploring with an ordinance survey map would be fruitful.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I know there's good free fishing on the tidal Ouse in Lewes - including grey mullet and sea trout, along with the usual suspects!

theartist

Reaction score
The tidal Ouse is not for the faint hearted, even up at Lewes it slings through both on the ebb and flow, both sea and coarse fish are there but is all depends on the tides and rainfall levels as to what's there and when.