Wild water swimming

steve2

Reaction score
A number of my friends have taken to swimming in local rivers. It appears that there are no laws to stop them doing so as long as they enter the water from public land.
It appears to be a growing past time so your next bite could from a swimmer.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not strictly true to simply say that it wild swimming is "legal" per se.

The Laws of Trespass may still apply and a riparian owner can still demand that swimmers vacate an area, even if access was gained from from a "public place"

I have been trying to find the Law Lords ruling from 2003 regarding the necessity to have suitable lifeguards on hand, but so far cannot find a reference.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Found it . . . . however it was an appeal from the Hampstead Heath Winter Swimmers against the Corporation of London.

The ruling only found that these swimmers could swim "at their own risk" and that the Corporation would be free from liability or prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive.

john step

Reaction score
Deleted.......I don't know why it was entered twice

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Our local MP was advocating this on the news the other night when questioned why the promised local pool had not materialised in the 30 yrs it had been proposed.
Also where had the money gone?

What the di**head hasn't realised is the risk of Weils, the danger of encouraging kids to swim and drown(in dangerous places) as they do every summer holidays and the question already mentioned of tresspass.

As an aside one of our club members was treated with 9 stitches at hospital from a pike bite on his hand. Its true because I saw it happen.
Nasty these Lincolnshire pike:wh

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I have swam in canals, the avon and a few other dirty places.. never had an issue.. Hope it remains that way.

Philip

Reaction score
Funny as just this week I went to look at a bit of river and was surprised to see allot of people swimming in it and its hardly a babbling brook ..more like the river medway. ...one streach was literally like the Costa del sol ..wall to wall swimmers. Lets hope a new global craze isnt about to start.

A few well aimed mepps should sort it out I recon. :rolleyes::)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I suppose its the difference between a commercial and wild to them, I mean what would you do given the choice:)...

Seriously, their has been a lot of drownings this year, mainly teenagers, something I have always been aware of living by the sea, inexperienced swimmers just never understand the dangers even in freshwater; they over estimate their ability and strength. My sister is a qualified swimming coach, does a lot of work for the council and schools and last time I spoke to her she was getting into this wild swimming thing, I will ask her about it next time I see her.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Anyone who swims in our rivers really should research what goes in each one, they'd more than likely find out they are better off taking a mouthful of the 'yellow' water down the local swimming baths

iain t

Reaction score
I used to swim in a lot of natural rivers and streams when i was fitter. I used to find a lot of natural ponds to swim in the mountains. I never went in without a wetsuit or boots as you never knew what was laying on the bed. I always made sure i knew if there were undercurrents.