barbless hooks v barb hooks

sis the roach

Reaction score
when will we realise that barbless hooks are doing more damage to fish than a micro barbed hook i have fishing a lot of matches on commis this season and the mouths on almost all of the fish caught are very bad

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't need to realise, I don't use barbless hooks, as you say they destroy the fishes mouths.
I don't like large barbs either but even they're better than barbless so long as the angler using them is half competent!
As you say a micro barbed hook is the best option by a cou try mile.
A lot of people use far to large a hook also, and a large barbless hook will leave on hell of an underground/hidden hole in the fishs flesh!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I don't need to realise, I don't use barbless hooks, as you say they destroy the fishes mouths.
I don't like large barbs either but even they're better than barbless so long as the angler using them is half competent!
As you say a micro barbed hook is the best option by a cou try mile.
A lot of people use far to large a hook also, and a large barbless hook will leave on hell of an underground/hidden hole in the fishs flesh!

Migod...I actually agree with you, Ian. Now there's a thing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll use whatever is the more appropriate, or whatever I'm required to by local rules. I've long held the belief that whether a hooked is barbed or barbless is of minor significance compared to whether the angler using them knows his/her backside from their elbow. I've seen plenty of anglers that don't carry any form of disgorger. I've seen plenty of anglers that obviously don't know how to unhook a fish properly, barbed or not, disgorger or not. The only thing I will concede to barbless, is that the same individual using barbless should cause less damage to a fish when unhooking.

Sadly, there are an awful lot of utter numpties that don't fish often enough to come close to being competent. These plonkers, that have no idea how to hook a fish, are responsible for quite a bit of damage. I've seen it on a few occasions now where "anglers" think that simply pulling on a hook/hooklink is an appropriate way to unhook a fish. A practiced angler can have a barbed hook whipped out, with minimal damage caused, in the fraction of the time, than it takes some folks.

It's very similar to the lowest common denominator factor that has seen a few rivers/river sections closed to fishing. Sensible competent anglers rarely have any problems. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to drag everyone up to a decent standard. Far easier just to ban things. Just about every ban you care to mention is down to the lowest common denominator factor. Sensible people, with a decent standard of angling competence, rarely need rules to maintain a fishery and the fish in it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I'm happy using either tbh....dependant on rules etc though I do prefer a micro barb if I'm fishing for roach or particularly grayling both of which are expert hook spitters. The bigger the hook the less I like a barb though I couldn't tell you why...habit I guess, nothing to do with incidence of hook pulls.

I'm more fussy about pattern and quality of hook. Some barbed patterns I've looked at seem to have huge barbs to me but that could simply be that I'm not used to using them very much.

rich66

Reaction score
I have to use barbless on my club waters, so I use barbless everywhere I fish. Predator tackle I crush the barbs as it seems everything comes barbed.

As Sam has put a lot of it will come down to competence of the individual. I do wonder when I see damaged mouths whether that’s over fished or poor angling

I’d really like to see some scientific evidence that barbless cause more damage than barbed.

steve2

Reaction score
Unless the rules state otherwise I never use barbless hooks.
The problem on commercials is that they like to think they are doing it on fish welfare grounds but on many the same fish are recaught and recaught on a daily basis. So whether or not you use barbed or brabless the fish mouth will be damaged.
Also when I fished matches on commercials carp ponds they were fish races, Drag the fish in on strong tackle and get bait back in the water as quickly as possible.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to use barbless on my club waters, so I use barbless everywhere I fish. Predator tackle I crush the barbs as it seems everything comes barbed.

As Sam has put a lot of it will come down to competence of the individual. I do wonder when I see damaged mouths whether that’s over fished or poor angling

I’d really like to see some scientific evidence that barbless cause more damage than barbed.

Imo having had both of them pulled very hard into my hands was a good enough scientific experiment for me.

rich66

Reaction score
Imo having had both of them pulled very hard into my hands was a good enough scientific experiment for me.

Having had similar experiences, even lip hooked myself once. I’d go for barbless anytime

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another thing that barbless hooks sometimes do is go right round on themselves and actually come out of the fishs mouth copletely and you have to cut the hook off or try and thread the shank back through the huge hole made by the hook. I have witnessed this myself on a number of occassions.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have had a size 6 barbed hook imbed itself in my top lip while tightening up a knot using my teeth once, and it hadn’t gone all the way through so I couldn’t squash the barb or try to pull it all the way through, so I just had to count to three and get a mate to yank it back out barb and all. Ouch! is not the only thing I shouted :)

Ive also had a barbed hook imbedded itself into the skin between my thumb and fore finger and removing that was not a pleasant experience either.

All I know is that I wish I had been using barbless hooks then.

One of my clubs allows barbless hooks only and my second club allows semi-barbed; and to be honest I’ve not seen any difference between the fishes mouths on either, in fact if anything I’ve seen more damage done in carps mouths on the barbed hook fishery, but that may just be a coincidence.

Because of the barbless rules on most of my club waters; I have had to use barbless hooks for many years; and I’ve not noticed any mouth damage that I could specifically put down to the use of barbless hooks, or hook pulls, however I have seen inexperienced anglers having trouble in extracting barbed hooks and causing accidental damage when they’ve tried to pull the barbs out; including fish lips still on their hooks after they’ve thrown a fish back.

So I’m not 100% convinced about either and so the jury is still out as far as I’m concerned, what I am convinced by is that damage is usually done by inexperienced anglers regardless of whether barbless or semi-barbed hooks are used.

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
At one time I would never have used a barbless hook, now having seen some good fish landed on them and the fact that my club water stipulates barbless only I have changed my mind.

I have had a fair few Tench this season and in 12/13ft of water they pull back, I can say hand on heart that I haven't seen any difference in the hook hold mark on the fish and I have used from a 12s down to an 8s. Any hook will damage mouths if the only thing the angler cares about is getting it in and casting back out as quickly as possible and its most evident on match ( not all) fished waters and waters that are heavily weeded, Sywell being an example.

Anglers do have to accept though that what we do does damage a fishes mouth, its about keeping that damage to a minimum.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I have never seen any evidence to suggest barbless hooks cause more damage than barbed.
Barbed hooks by design are harder to get out of fishes mouths.
I have also seen damage to fishes mouths on natural waters.
The commercial waters all say barbless hooks only so they can't all be wrong can they and i would think some will have had advice from experts as to what is better for their fish.
I am sick to death of this commie bashing if you don't like then don't fish them.
What state would fishing be in if it wasn't for them.
I have not owned a barbed hook for a long time now.
You only have to get a barbed hook caught in your clothing to find out how difficult they are to get out.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
One of my clubs allows micro barbed hooks in sizes 16 and smaller...otherwise its barbless. I think thats a fairly sensible approach. I do like the added security of a micro barb on a small hook if there's the chance of a decent sized fish ( as there is on this clubs waters) though, generally speaking, I've found that if a very small hook gets dug in its extremely unlikely to come out whether it's barbed or barbless....unless its me and the fish is a big roach !

barbelboi

Reaction score
Barbed/micro barbed for me as I don't fish commercials so don't have to play by their rules. In all the years I was a member of Leisure Sports/RMC/CEMEX barbless hooks were banned on size 14 and larger. I don't believe that barbed hooks cause the damage some make out - the damage is generally caused by those who don't know how to unhook a barbed hook.................

stillwater blue

Reaction score
when will we realise that barbless hooks are doing more damage to fish than a micro barbed hook i have fishing a lot of matches on commis this season and the mouths on almost all of the fish caught are very bad

It's not all about the hook IMO. Frequency of capture, standard of angling, heavy tackle and bullying fish all have a part to play in mouth damage. Some of the pictures in the magazines where the fellas are posing with beaten up lipless carp are disgusting.

thecrow

Reaction score
i have fishing a lot of matches on commis

I think the answer is right there in your opening thread.

As there is no proof that the damage was caused by a barbless hook nor that it would not have occurred had only barbed hooks been used I don't see how it can be shown either way.

The water I have been fishing is barbless only but no matches are held on there and I have only seen one fish with mouth damage, coincidence?