biodegradable plastics

laguna

Reaction score
Hot topic at the moment. Apparent Over the last ten years, we have produced more plastic than during the whole of the last century.

Whether that's true or not I don't know, but something needs to be done urgently to combat the problem of plastic waste. Particularly the huge amount of consumer packaging, that often either ends up in the rivers and oceans killing our fish and wildlife or is landfilled. Recent estimates suggested Britain recycles around 50% of waste plastics but in actual fact a lot of it is incinerated or sent abroad due to a lack of waste processing capability and chronic under-investment. A prime example is our inability to recycle black plastic, the excuse being that the machines can't detect it! Ridiculous.

The solution to one-time-use plastic is obvious - Compostable Biodegradable plastics.
I think given our past history to innovate, Britain could lead the way (post Brexit if it ever happens). The initial problem is one of cost, but I think with economy of scale, we might be able to achieve better recycling targets and/or better alternatives.

There has already been great leaps forward in the direction of producing biodegradable plastics. One of the very first plastics which falls into this category is a commonly known (but not commonly used) plastic called cellophane. The only thing I can think of where its commonly used these days are on sweet wrappers? Cellophane could, if pressure is put on manufacturers, be used more as the covering film over ready meals for example, and the tray made of another plastic called PLA which is another cheap biodegradable plastic material - commonly used in 3D printers. If food trays currently made from black plastic can't be detected for sorting by machines, why not use use a different colour or print stripes on them or something?

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Glass is also making a comeback and in some areas of retail packaging there is talk of some supermarkets willing to take back your empty cartons and food packaging. Other initiatives are reusable bags, and carrier bag tariffs of 5p which has incentivised a lot of us to reuse them and reduce our waste. Cotton bags, so called bags-for-life and paper are also become popular again, but it's been suggested there is an issue of a higher carbon footprint associated in their manufacture compared with the cheaper alternative plastics. Plastic straws are also being phased out along with cotton bud stems.

A quick google search "list of biodegradable plastics" threw up this website.
The future of plastics - Curious

As anglers and custodians of our countryside, we should all do what we can and set an example. Obviously we can't use biodegradable mono and lose fish, but I'm sure we could look at other innovative ways of reducing our plastic consumption if we put our heads together. Currently rig foam and PVA are the only biodegradable types I can think of. PLA printed stuff like pole pots and rig bits can be cheaply made as an alternative, as can plastic artificial grubs and lures.
Any others?

john step

Reaction score
Funny how things go around. Years ago the supermarkets were the ones who wanted customers to use their carrier bags. Presumably as a visible proof of purchase and an advertisement. Then we were the villains for using them.

In Lincolnshire there is a new plant that burns much rubbish that would otherwise go to landfill to generate electricity.

The government could cure the problem at a stroke by saying that by such and such a date all containers had to be recyclable.

Whilst on the environmental soap box, when you shop have a look at ingredients and see how many products contain palm oil. Most do. Including bread.
The poor old orangutans are being driven to extinction by deforestation of their habitat to grow the stuff. Even the so called sustainable palm oil is now grown where it pushes the tigers in India out of the forest.

Apart from that it is as bad for the arteries as lard!! Luckily the firm Iceland now sells a whole range of products with no palm oil.

theartist

Reaction score
I was shocked to find Dinsmrores shot refills now come in the plastic tubs within hard clear plastic packaging. How can companies still be adding extra plastic packaging with all that's going on?

steve2

Reaction score
I was shocked to find Dinsmrores shot refills now come in the plastic tubs within hard clear plastic packaging. How can companies still be adding extra plastic packaging with all that's going on?
Take a look round any shop and the amount of overpackaging is ridiculous. I bought biscuits in a cardboard box was wrapped in clingfilm, in side there was is plastic container wrapped in plastic, each biscuit was wrapped in foil. According to the label none of the packaging is recyclable.

Just a thought, do Drennan Acolyte Rods contain biodegradable plastic?