Help with reels please

h2222

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to get a couple of new reels,

I do one night a week sea fishing, and a day/night a month carp fishing and want some new all round reels....

I am torn between the following: -

1. Wychwood Riot big pit 65's
2. Shakespeare agility surf 70

Not bothered about a baitrunner to be honest as front drag is fine for carp fishing I think... but what makes me sway toward the agility 70's is that they're saltwater protected, but are they any good for carp fishing? or would the riots do a better job of both carp and sea fishing???

Thanks for the help

theartist

Reaction score
I know nowt about the two you mention but I'd avoid using any coarse reel for sea fishing, unless you want it to feel like a coffee grinder after a few trips

steve2

Reaction score
I bought a Wychwood Riot big pit reel a few years ago for carp fishing and used it for sea fishing on one trip. I forgot to wash it and when I removed it from its bag it had corroded. So go for the sea reel.

h2222

Reaction score
Thanks, so the Shakespeare may be best as they're protected....I assume they're similar size to a carp big pit anyway?

mikench

Reaction score
For a good sea fishing reel I suggest you look at Penn models! I have a Battle 2 and it is a super reel! Always rinse a sea reel in fresh water after a session as salt is very corrosive!

A good reel for all feeder fishing is a Shimano x aero or Daiwa Emcast with sizes to suit!

B

binka

I'm curious to know just what 'saltwater protected' actually means in terms of what you actually get and how it will make a difference?

I would imagine that there is a lot of small print attached to that description, my faith is further undermined due to the same company being responsible for a floating keepnet that I was unfortunate to have bought.

Think about it...

A floating keepnet?

I still have it actually, just in case anyone opens a museum for failed fishing tackle and it might one day be worth what I paid for it on novelty value :eek:mg:

All that glitters is not gold...

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
This thread has come up just in time for me. I have a seaside holiday coming up and was planning to use my gt3000 feeder reel. I was going to give it a wash after each use. The alternative would be to buy a specific sea reel for a few quid, but it seemed not really worthwhile?

B

binka

Well...

I still have a Daiwa fixed spool reel (can't say which one as I always peel the decals off the spool :eek:mg:) which has accompanied me on numerous visits to rock marks in Cornwall for the last fourteen years or so and despite being dragged in by a not inconsiderable Wrasse it's as good as day one for the sake of a good rinse off after use.

Prior to that it was my go to feeder reel on the Trent, which I suspect was much more its intended purpose.

theartist

Reaction score
This thread has come up just in time for me. I have a seaside holiday coming up and was planning to use my gt3000 feeder reel. I was going to give it a wash after each use. The alternative would be to buy a specific sea reel for a few quid, but it seemed not really worthwhile?

It also depends what type of sea fishing your doing, casting a lure or lead into the surf is going to get salt everywhere whereas lowering baits down the edge in a dock isn't so much, I do more of the latter so do use a coarse reel, but it's an old one which was sitting around in the cupboard and is on it's way out anyway, I still give it the token wash around the bail arm though, wouldn't like to be doing that with my fav coarse reel that's for sure

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I won’t be surfcasting- it will be light weights / smallish baits and maybe a lure or 2. I’d prefer to use this reel as it has a decent drag. I’ll give it a good wash after use. Hopefully be able to contribute to the hdygo thread for the first time in ages.

mikench

Reaction score
We all recall having a day at the beach or just the seaside and our ability to taste salt on our skin and lips! Throw in saltwater and you will see how important rinsing a reel used for sea fishing is! If it gets dunked then a thorough soak and dry is required! My sea reel doesn't get much use but I have had it 5 years or so and used it for beach casting( it sits there on the rod mostly) and LRF and it's as good as new. You must have an old reel your rarely use so try that! I have several!:rolleyes: