What do they know of fishing----

flightliner

Reaction score
-- who only fish for one fish and only one way of catching it.
So said Jack Hargreaves, was he being mischievous?

lambert1

Reaction score
Probably. Still love watching his stuff. Read his books too. Very interesting life he lead and was very knowledgeable about a great many things. Never short of an opinion either!

john step

Reaction score
Oh no!! Not another commercial fishery thread Mick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

binka

I can just see it now, Jack Hargreaves on Commercial Carp on the Banjo Feeder...

'Hello fellow spankers, today we are going to cast right across to the platform over there and fish right below it...

What what, don't ya know...' :laugh:

thecrow

Reaction score
If he wasn't being mischievous he was most definitely wrong, when I was mostly a single species angler a lot of the anglers I fished with had fished for all sorts of species, they had learned how to fish for them and some had been very successful at it they had simply decided to concentrate on the fishing they enjoyed most.

Does a Pike angler fishing only for them during the winter qualify as a one species angler? how long does an angler have to be fishing for one species to become a one species angler? I have been spending a few sessions after Tench and also some sessions after margin Carp, do those sessions of fishing for one species make me a one species angler for that time?

We all have only "one way of catching it" line hook and bait.

What the statement does show is that even in those days prejudice existed in angling.

mikench

Reaction score
I only fish for fish!:) Any will do me most of the time! Tomorrow I will once again pursue the elusive( to me at least) tench!

theartist

Reaction score
I'm happy to fish for whatever comes along but only fish one way so I guess that's another way of looking at it

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
At a guess, I'd say he was referring to the "dry fly only" trout angler, and was championing his own approach to the sport, which was as an all-rounder. I could be wrong, though!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
What the statement does show is that even in those days prejudice existed in angling.
I would disagree with you on that (dare I?)

I found his comment some years ago and thought it reflected on some anglers that do seem to always use the same rod, same method, same bait, even same hook style, each and every time they go fishing. Doesn't matter whether that's carp or chub or barbel or roach. I think what he was implying is that we should all vary how we fish since we learn more by doing so, even if we've done it before, as you say Graham, but don't do it now. Things change and we should embrace new methods.

My opinion, that's all.

The other day I had caught about ten carp and started trying other methods simply because I knew that the method I'd caught them on did work. But down the lake from me was a guy who said later he'd caught 40 carp all on the same method feeder. Not only that but he returned two days later and still using the same method caught 60 with his mate. All I ask is, what had he learned or is it all just about the numbers of fish you catch?

So long as it pulls your string, I suppose. :doh:

mikench

Reaction score
That must be where I'm going wrong ! Note to self if it's working don't fix it; but where is the fun in that!:)

rubio

Reaction score
What do they know of England, who only England know........
Not a political statement, but maybe a quote he is referencing

thecrow

Reaction score
So long as it pulls your string, I suppose.

And that to me is what angling is about, its not for me the same as one species dominated fisheries are not but its up to each angler how they fish and so long as they don't harm the fish (beyond sticking a hook in them) or interfere with my fishing I don't see a problem.

Only my opinion but I think that far to many anglers are to interested in how other anglers fish, some of those same anglers have a poor opinion of some species such as Carp, come and see if they can catch them 3ft from the bank in gin clear water that is 2ft deep and see if they are easy. Angling is the most snobbish about methods that I know of, must fish this way or your not a proper angler don't fish for this or that species they are easy,
all fishing is as easy or as difficult as an individual wants to make it, I could catch those Carp off the top or on the lead and boilies but I choose not to, I like the challenge of catching fish I can see, others want things a bit easier and that's fine with me, I still like learning and have learned a lot from watching those fish feed, others don't want to progress beyond what they do.

As far as using the same tackle, perhaps that's all they have got and use a method that suits the rod?

peterjg

Reaction score
There are roach - is there other species .....

Philip

Reaction score
What do they know of fishing----

-- who only fish for one fish and only one way of catching it.
So said Jack Hargreaves, was he being mischievous?

If someone only fishes for one fish in one way but becomes REALLY good at it then wouldnt it be right to admire them for it rather than pour scorn?

Dare I say Jack of all trades master of none ?

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
No! .............

;)

Stop sitting on the fence and say what you think. :)

But really ...whats wrong with excelling at one thing ? ...I dont see anyone saying Roger Federer is rubbish because he doesnt play table tennis or badminton as well...:p