Recommendations…Thermal base layer under suit

chrissh

Reaction score
It will soon be to the time of year to start putting on warmer clothing when on the bank.

I have one of the older Nash ZT thermal two piece bacs layer under suit I’m looking for a better one,

I do not like being over padded and restricted when fishing especially around my arms so i dont like the big fishing jackets,
I were a good quality thermal bib & brace, fleece hoody and a body warmer, and take and a lightweight waterproof jacket for the wetter days.
I want it for the top part of me and my arms.

Any recommendations on a good quality tried & tested two piece thermal under suit?

nottskev

Reaction score
Aside from the thermals, once I started wearing one of these neckwarmers you pull over your head, I realised they eliminate one of the areas where you can get chilled, even with big coats etc on. I don't go out without one in the colder months.

ian g

Reaction score
merino wool base layers for me , I mainly fish rivers and like to roam . They keep you warm without being heavy or restrictive . 'd also go for the snood mentioned by op.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Aside from the thermals, once I started wearing one of these neckwarmers you pull over your head, I realised they eliminate one of the areas where you can get chilled, even with big coats etc on. I don't go out without one in the colder months.

I quite agree...these things are brilliant and I have several tucked away in my bags as well as those I wear when I'm just going out. My boy wouldn't be without his...he's outdoors all year long and they dont get caught in machinery like a scarf can. The Berghaus ones are particularly good.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I use two piece thermal base layer from Decathlon, they’re great value I think top and bottom come out at £20 ish ( from memory, you find them in the ski section usually comes onto the shelves Oct/Nov, would be available by mail order. They do a top with a light weight hood built in, which I find really great for wearing under helmets for skiing,cycling, motorcycling, and under my fishing hat and thus keeping the chill of my neck as already mentioned. M&S and Next both do thermals for the ski market too.
PS. Just checked Decathlon.co.uk and basic thermal top and bottom £3.99 each got to be a bargain. I’ve been wearing their stuff for skiing ( temps down to -15c) for about 8 years and never let me down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Yes...Decathlon do some very reasonable gear. I tried a thermal snowboarding top last year for fishing and it was excellent for next to no money. Their gear can be a bit snug size wise though so if in doubt I'd go a size up. I normally like an XL for comfort but I had to get an XXL.

Philip

Reaction score
As an aside Decathlon can do some good rods & terminal tackle too. Its quite hit and miss but occasionally they come out with a cracker.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought the wife a nice light(and cheap) rod for beachcasting from Decathlon because I love her! It's not my fault she wasn't remotely interested and shunned it in preference to her step and silly great ball thingy! Shame not to use it and it is rather good!::rolleyes:
I shall have a look at their thermals later this week!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I woulds have thought any snug fitting thermal top (long or short sleeve) would be good. I think I got some from a couple of different places including go outdoors.
This isn't a joke....I would reccommend getting the bottoms without the slits that are made for getting your knob out when you releive yourself as they can become loose and your knob will keep flopping out unless you have underkecks on as well. As I said, I am being serious because it's uncomfortable and you'll be forever correcting the problem. I got my mrs to sew up the slits rather than throw them in the bin.

Philip

Reaction score
I woulds have thought any snug fitting thermal top (long or short sleeve) would be good. I think I got some from a couple of different places including go outdoors.
This isn't a joke....I would reccommend getting the bottoms without the slits that are made for getting your knob out when you releive yourself as they can become loose and your knob will keep flopping out unless you have underkecks on as well. As I said, I am being serious because it's uncomfortable and you'll be forever correcting the problem. I got my mrs to sew up the slits rather than throw them in the bin.

Its the fact that your being serious that makes that even funnier.

Worst thing is - I sort of know what your talking about ! :);)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As I've always done I will be going for layers of clothing, and this from what climbers etc use. I start off with Damart thermals (separate top and bottom) with lined Rohan trousers over, and in really cold winds I use wind proof over trousers. In doing this I can remove a layer if the day turns warm(ish). Everything is light and even more importantly, allows movement.
On top I use the Damart with a shirt, jumper and heavy duty walking jacket 'cos I have many of them....

I don't suffer from the cold generally speaking (unless below freezing) and use hot drinka to keep my body temperature up.

It's worked for 60 plus years so why change............

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its the fact that your being serious that makes that even funnier.

Worst thing is - I sort of know what your talking about ! :);)

Philip....sort of know what i'm talking about .....I hope you do bud or I think your real name might be Phillipa :censored: :nightmare:

stripey

Reaction score
why do you need a base layer, i bought a bib and brace suit from bennets of sheffield last winter and it is brilliant, its a sundridge match master, and if you look at the componets its made of ,they are identical to the ones for daiwa and preston that cost £250 + the one i bought cost £50, no brainer!

mikench

Reaction score
No it's his Italian cousin whose full name is Drinka de St Miguele! He's an expert angler too!:rolleyes:

B

binka

I was a little surprised about the base layer I was given when we all got fitted and kitted out at work for some rather posh Helly Hansen gear.

The base layer was, to say the least, thin and tight yet it remained very comfortable and unrestrictive as well as being surprisingly warm.

The point being that I'd always worked on relatively loose layers that trap warm air and until getting the Helly gear I was often wet through with sweat during periods of more active work and this eliminated that.

For anything more active, such as roving where you're likely to build up a sweat over longer distances, I would give them a try as they don't saturate and later cool down during periods of inactivity like other base layers I've used in the past.

Nothing worse than being sat in a sweat laden base layer, gradually feeling it getting colder and clinging to you.

I was always a bit sceptical about different or so called hi-tech fibres and their compositions making that much difference and I would always go for the thickest, heaviest merino wool but these have really changed my opinion.

john step

Reaction score
why do you need a base layer, i bought a bib and brace suit from bennets of sheffield last winter and it is brilliant, its a sundridge match master, and if you look at the componets its made of ,they are identical to the ones for daiwa and preston that cost £250 + the one i bought cost £50, no brainer!

I hadn't realised Bennets were back in business. Just googled it and it seems they are now mail order only.