Venue apathy

B

binka

It's been a funny old season so far, with the rivers and some stillwaters suffering from low water and/or dissolved oxygen levels.

I'm faced with the prospect of a week off work and having worked hard over the weekend to clear my jobs list at home I now have the opportunity to get a few sessions in but I really can't get enthusiastic about anywhere in particular.

Anyone going through the same mill?

thecrow

Reaction score
I am as far as rivers go, nothing with the access I need round here, did look at a stretch of the Warks Avon on Saturday but it just didn't stir me to fish it though, the trip wasn't wasted as the gaffer picked a few pounds of blackberries and some wild plums :)

flightliner

Reaction score
A timely post steve, I,ve been on the same venue for almost the entire season to date with one exception. I'm going again tomorrow but a worm in my head says go elsewhere.
Time to wean myself away from the place over the next few weeks.

B

binka

A timely post steve, I,ve been on the same venue for almost the entire season to date with one exception. I'm going again tomorrow but a worm in my head says go elsewhere.
Time to wean myself away from the place over the next few weeks.

Is that the place I said I was going to finally try Mick, worm being the operative word? ;)

If so I drove past it today and gave it a thought, the weather conditions seem favourable...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
To a degree though I am currently restricted to places I think I can get to and return from without collapsing.. If I'd gone down this afternoon Id have been in trouble. I think I need to make sure I've got the BF or Big Dave with me for a bit.

I'm supposed to be barbelling with Big Dave on Wed but after this afternoon I think I'll give that a miss.

Philip

Reaction score
I go through periods like that from time to time and at least for me what I usually end up doing to recharge the batteries is taking 1 rod and a minimum of tackle and doing some roving for whatever comes along.

Failing that get yourself down that town dam of yours after some Roach. I say this simply because today I went down a local canal I have not fished for ages during lunch time. I had a rod in the back of the car with a few maggot and dropped a float in at my feet and sat on some metal fencing to soak in the sun expecting nothing. Well the float sailed away and I pulled in a pristine Roach..Next drop same again…I ended up with a nice little netful of Roach and 1 perch all between 8oz and 1lb in just 30mins fishing.

I actually thought of you and the bag of roach you posted about catching at the dam. Anyway the Roach were clearly having it in my neck of the woods so maybe they will down your way too.

lambert1

Reaction score
To a degree though I am currently restricted to places I think I can get to and return from without collapsing.. If I'd gone down this afternoon Id have been in trouble. I think I need to make sure I've got the BF or Big Dave with me for a bit.

I'm supposed to be barbelling with Big Dave on Wed but after this afternoon I think I'll give that a miss.

Sorry to hear you have not been well Skippy. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

peterjg

Reaction score
Philip, re your post. Just so right, canal fishing can be excellent, they are so under rated. I regularly fish the K&A and occasionally the Basingstoke canal, you never know what is coming next. Only downside is the boats and their dopey owners!

Philip

Reaction score
Philip, re your post. Just so right, canal fishing can be excellent, they are so under rated. I regularly fish the K&A and occasionally the Basingstoke canal, you never know what is coming next. Only downside is the boats and their dopey owners!

I used to fish the K&A Peter ...everyone used to cram onto the nearby river and leave miles of amazing fishing on the canal completely empty.

B

binka

get yourself down that town dam of yours after some Roach.

It's funny you should say that Philip.

It's often where I end up when I'm undecided about where to go and it really deserves better in the pecking order of priority and it did cross my mind earlier this evening.

When I was making the floats recently I put together a set of silly small straight dibbers which, other than the dam which I had in mind at the time, I would be hard pushed to use so it may be time to do them justice and see if I can get some of those bigger Roach out which were ghosting in and out of the swim but were refusing baits even under the smallest Drennan Crystal Dibber...

I'm still convinced it was the very minute difference in the rate of fall of the bait but you never know, either way I think you've made my mind up.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I used to fish the K&A Peter ...everyone used to cram onto the nearby river and leave miles of amazing fishing on the canal completely empty.

It was a bit like that on the K&A at Burghfield Philip with the adjacent Burghfield river (Kennet) eventually turned into a expensive syndicate by RMC (CEMEX) - I believe it still is with the new owners.................

rich66

Reaction score
I can relate to that, I was going to go Sunday and thought better of it. It would the usual 2 maybe 3 bream around 4lb and a few other bits. Since my club introduced the loads of bream during the closed season, each session is very similar. Hope to get on the river this week instead or perhaps lure fishing in the canal.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I am as far as rivers go, nothing with the access I need round here, did look at a stretch of the Warks Avon on Saturday but it just didn't stir me to fish it though,

The old bathing place in stratford upon avon is fishing really well and has great access. The ticket prices are a bit expensive though... £3 a day ;)

sagalout

Reaction score
I have been consistently going to a 35 peg club water and working on my margin fishing with the pole, some big old girls up to 14lb, I am struggling to get the feeding feeding pattern(s) right (to little they don't come in, to much and they ignore the bait), it is very interesting experimenting. Some I have been catching in 8 inches of water under me toes.

Today I have got a tin of sardines, drained the oil and soaked half a pint of 6mm pellets in it, and I have broken up the sardines and will put them in me groundbait. I shall feed one line lightly with the pellets and one heavily with the g/bait.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It's been a funny old season so far, with the rivers and some stillwaters suffering from low water and/or dissolved oxygen levels.

I'm faced with the prospect of a week off work and having worked hard over the weekend to clear my jobs list at home I now have the opportunity to get a few sessions in but I really can't get enthusiastic about anywhere in particular.

Anyone going through the same mill?

If possible try a tidal stretch, no worries about low water/oxygen levels, mullet if about will stretch you, flounders, bass, maybe coarse fish. Something - somewhere different, I have no idea where you live Bink but a lot of googling, research, traveling involved maybe but might knock you off your apathy zone. I did this recently and thoroughly enjoyed it; gave me a lot to think about and planning another trip better armed this time. Barbel/carp float, ledger gear is all you need. It may not be an option for you but its different from normal river fishing and can be interesting.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I'm still convinced it was the very minute difference in the rate of fall of the bait but you never know, either way I think you've made my mind up.

If they are taking baits but not yours then something is putting them off, I've found that this summer when everything was low and clear the way the bait fell had to be natural, if you can see them and get a bait out to them with just a dust shot try it. You can always add the float if they are out of reach. Plus its heaps of fun :thumbs:

john step

Reaction score
It is possible to get into that rut of same old venues. With the Beast of the East early on then the heatwave I found I was limited to place where I was confident of a bite or two due to depth, shade etc and time of day ie later when it cooled.

Today the air is much cooler and I can feel the carping urge diminishing and the rivers beckoning, especially the predator scene.

You would think being retired there would be plenty of time for fishing. At the moment I am managing average 3 days a week between various domestic commitments and chauffeuring duties to appointments. Still, she does make my sandwiches.:wh

peterjg

Reaction score
John Step, I also fish 3 days a week. My dear old father in law used to say when he retired "I don't know how I had time to go to work!"

However; no fishing tomorrow - my car has just failed the dreaded MOT!

Reaction score
It's not good,I've just retired and I'm lucky if I get two outings a week,at the moment...