First thing all fishermen learn

Barnoe

Reaction score
Ducks are all annoying *******s!!!!

set up.... no ducks woohoo! :)

10 minuted later splash.... 1....2...3....4...5.....OMFG
noisy... chasing each other splashing about!

EVERYTIME!!!

Maybe its just me, and im a grumpy old fart lol

john step

Reaction score
Yes it can be annoying. I do think that the fish are less disturbed by ducks than we are.

If you want annoying...... how does a coot swimming across an open space of water suddenly know to stop, circle around seemingly scenting then dive on your boilies ?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Number 1 pet hate Canada geese wheres me DBSG 2nd COOTS i have had to de hook several of the stinking bad mannered bad tempered squarking monstrosaties . Never had a duck thou Canada geese and coots grrrrrrr ...

PG ...

Philip

Reaction score
I think it was Lee Jackson who write about how when fishing a rock hard pit in the winter for Carp actually tried to attract seagulls to dive on his baits as he was convinced the activity attracted the Carp.

...trying to put a positive spin sort of thing..:)

flightliner

Reaction score
Nothing beats a hundred or more tufties over a baited area !
Carpers I know will get seagulls flying around trying to get their boillies in mid air or just as the land to distract the tufties and clear them away!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Nothing beats a hundred or more tufties over a baited area !
Carpers I know will get seagulls flying around trying to get their boillies in mid air or just as the land to distract the tufties and clear them away!

Alka Saltza based Bolies that foam up when eaten by seaguls ...that would scupper them ....

PG ...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
i was talking to a carper on a local pit the other day.
He told me he only used his boilie throwing stick at night because of the ducks.
After I asked why he pointed to some ducks right over the far side and said watch this.
As soon as he got his throwing stick out the ducks immediately began paddling towards us...

Philip

Reaction score
There was a goose on the local river that I promise you recognized me and specifically me each time I went as it knew I would have bait. I even tested the theory once ...walking without anything angling related with a group of people and it literally made a bee line to me, not anyone else.

john step

Reaction score
There was a goose on the local river that I promise you recognized me and specifically me each time I went as it knew I would have bait. I even tested the theory once ...walking without anything angling related with a group of people and it literally made a bee line to me, not anyone else.

It was your fish oil aftershave??

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Strong Mustard boilies will deter them.
I take a loaf of bread with me, keep chucking bits as far away as possible from me in one area and the ducks will eventually settle there waiting for the next bit, keeps the swim clear.

peterjg

Reaction score
On a gravel pit I used to carp fish I would bait up from my rowing boat, as I rowed back to the swim the coots would be on their way to my baited spots. I used to cast my marker float near them to scare them away - eventually I only had to pick up the marker float rod for them to turn around and scuttle off elsewhere!

Reaction score
Well they can see them in more than twelve feet of water on a lot I fish,you can actually see the foot tilt its bed as look,I think because we are not directly above we don't think it's possible to see,on the H.Avon I could see boilies in ten to twelve feet of water and actually pick out individual pieces of gravel,unless the water is coloured they can see,if you want to avoid them use baits similar in colour to the bottom,using anything close to contrasting colours will result in thieving,do not forget feeding off of the bottom is now coots make a living and they do not dive on the off chance,they know where the weeds they eat are,more often than not by vision,buggers.

flightliner

Reaction score
Alka Saltza based Bolies that foam up when eaten by seaguls ...that would scupper them ....

PG ...
It wasn't the gulls that were the problem MD as the baiting was spombed out, but the tactic of using a throwing stick towards the baited area had the gulls doing ariel acrobatics to intercept the boillies which in turn had the tufties clearing away from the area.

mikench

Reaction score
Ducks and geese are less of a problem now thankfully! I still jump out of my skin when a moorhen chirrups next to me when there isn't a sound otherwise! I still am amazed at the amount of excrement a pair of geese can produce on the wooden boards of a peg! Earlier on in the summer I took a spade and a stiff brush to clear them! We have to just live with them!

I wonder how the gulls would cope with boilies glugged in Carolina Reaper hot chili sauce!!! :)

wetthrough

Reaction score
I wonder how the gulls would cope with boilies glugged in Carolina Reaper hot chili sauce!!!

Oddly enough birds aren't affected by Chili. They don't have the necessary receptors for Chili to affect them - so I'm reliably told by my son.