Boat V Rod & Line

• Thread starter Baz (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

Baz (Angel of the North)

No it's not a bait boat wars thread.

Neither is it each to their own. I personally think we have to face facts. Should there be two sets of records kept? One for a bait boat caught fish, and one for fish caught on rod and line?

If you use both like me, you will know that there is more to it useing a rod and line and it takes more skill. Boats have their advantage of course. But I do sence a very slight trend to going back to rod and line amongst some of the anglers. What do you chaps think?

F

Frothey

you'll need

cast

cast out, but baited by baitboat

dropped from baitboat

dropped from a row boat

cast to far bank and dropped

swam out

dropped in margins

etc

etc

in short..... no

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Thanks Dave.

I see what you mean, but against all of those you listed, I still think there is more skill involved by useing a rod and line only.

F

Frothey

what skill is there in a 20yd chuck onto the other bank, and then walking around and dropping it close to a bush by hand?

in the late 80's/early 90's there was a "doesn't count if they are off the top" attitude - what takes more skill, getting them to pick up a boilie cast 110yds to the back of a bar, or taking one off the top when they are feeding like made under your rod tip?

who really cares?

Carpless

Reaction score
In my opinion i think you should use what is required to get your bait to where you want it. If this means casting, bait boating or hand placing then its all the same to me. If it is possible then cast, if its not then use a boat. The real skill is in locating the fish.

I have seen a couple of guys using a boat on a pond to put baits out about 15 yards in front of them in open water. This sort of thing I don't agree with but you could same the same about the overcast and place method. In regard to the record however, everyone can buy a boat if they want so someone who has one shouldn't be considered to have an advantage over someone else.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Of course it's got to be an advantage if you are boating your bait and hooklength 150 yds or so surely? I'd like to see the average angler bait up and then place his hookbait directly on the spot with rod and line at 150 yds.

Example.

Rod and line.

First cast a feature/marker float finding lead out and feel for the feature. This takes time expierience. Then Overcast with a rocket if useing particles, wind back and clip up. Next cast your rod out minus the hooklength to double check the feature. Not forgetting to follow the lead down. This also takes practice. Clip up when you are happy where you are.

Bait Boat.

Find feature with a bait boat fitted with feature finder. Drop marker float on the spot.

Send boat back out filled with particles and hookbait.

People may not really care, but there is a vast difference between the two.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

A 20 yrd chuck onto the other bank? Hahaaaa, you'll have to come ooop North Dave lad, and I'll show you some big lads waters.

Carpless

Reaction score
What I mean is that if a guy has a boat and another guy doesn't, the one without the boat can't say 'its not fair' because there is nothing stopping him buying one unless he's skint. As I said also, I think boats should be used only when needed. We had a right, and deliberately loud, laugh at the guys thinking they were all that with their boat that looked so out of place on the water we were fishing. Might I add that they blanked that night and we had 3 between us.

My point is that as technology develops there is going to be things that make fishing more convenient and you can't take a record away from someone or catogorise it because they used a certain method, a certain rig or a certain placement method. It'll end up like Dave said.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Are you saying that you could find and bait a swim just as easily with rod and line, as with a bait boat and feature finder?

F

Frothey

ok then baz, a 120yd cast onto the far bank. 20 or 120, both an easy cast.

F

Frothey

dont need to be accurate if you are going to pick it up off the bank and drop by hand.

better method anyway -less disturbance from recasts, you know the rigs spot on, put a bag on it.....

Carpless

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Baz (Angel of the North) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Are you saying that you could find and bait a swim just as easily with rod and line, as with a bait boat and feature finder?</blockquote>No not at all. I'm saying that if a certain spot requires a bait boat to get into then you can't take a record away from someone just because he used one. Everyone could reach that spot if they invested in a boat. Feature finders i'm a little more apprehensious about but I suppose it comes under the same catogory.

Carpless

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>ban marker rods -not everyone can afford them, its cheating.</blockquote>hehe - No need, just have a record catogory for fish caught using them. /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Okay.

So I am not a devout Moonpig like you lads, and that's where we differ. I do night sessions yes, but not for Carp.

This is what suits me. One water, two rods, one in the bait boat, and the other rod will be cast out. On another water I have decided not to use a bait boat at all.

The reason is so that there is allways somewhere to go where I can say I have used 100% skill.

On a number of waters that I know, I can say without doubt, that it's the baitboaters who catch the most fish.

Carpless

Reaction score
I don't actually own a boat and I'm not going to moan because other people do. Of the 2 places I fish there is one which a boat would be useful at certain times but they are banned and at the second it would be ludicrous to use one because its not that big and almost every bit could be cast to (the latter is where I saw the 2 guys using one).

The initial post however, was about records and I don't think that boat caught fish should be treated any differently to 'rod and line' caught fish. Why? Because they both require location skills, they both require the correct presentation and in some cases the right bait or amount of bait. The only difference is that the boat placed it. As dave said, whats the difference between a guy putting a bait in a little cove via boat and him casting to the far bank, walking round and dropping it in? Everyone can get a boat if they wish and take advantage of what it has to offer but if they get more pleasure from knowing they placed their baits with just their rod a sense of feel then I wish them all the best. Whether you like them or not, bait boats are a part of modern carp fishing and the records have to respect that.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Presentation from a bait boat only requires the flick of a switch. Come on now Carpless, what's skillfull about that? Could you explain that in detail please?