2:2:1 Groundbait:water:pellet with Skrettings

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
as it says I'd like to try the 2:2;1 mix but with skrettings 2mm which when I used this ratio before turned into a homogeneous lump which whilst it caught fish didn't have much in the way of particles!

any suggestions for this when using skrettings?

laguna

Reaction score
So basically instead of making up a compo mix, you want to use concrete made up with some ballast!

The trouble with skretting pellets is, they don't bind all that well when you start adding crushed particles. Some groundbaits will only accept a handful too. You could try adding a handful of hemp or something but not much else and only then perhaps 10 percent. Have you considered adding some breadcrumb to aid binding? If you add some crumb you could increase the ratio of crushed and whole particles/and or more pellets to 50% or more.

Obviously slightly dampened pellets will also help with binding too as opposed to dry pellets.

Is it for the feeder or to ball out?

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Chris it was for the method feeder. I notice that even with literally 10 seconds soaking the skrettings are quite soft so ll that water was only going to end one way........

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
When I use a method feeder the only particle I want in it is my hookbait. I don't see the point of adding anything of food value in the method mix?

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From what I have picked up it seems to be a worthwhile thing but I'm just a beginner, hence the questions.

sagalout

Reaction score
Cover the pellets with water and drain after 5 seconds.

Mix your ground bait as normal for the method.

When the groundbait has stood for a while and is the correct consistency mix some of the groundbait with some of the pellets, mix more as you need them during the day, this allows you to adjust the dampness of the individual items during the day.

What you are doing at the moment is using far to much water, and so the groundbait and the pellets become one wet mass. For the method the groundbait should be damp enough to make a ball but dry enough to crumble when rubbed between your hands. The pellets should be damp enough to stick together but not so wet that they are soft. If you put the pellets in the mould and then push the feeder into them the pellets should not squeeze out between the mould and the feeder, if they do they are to wet. Have a look on you tube for Des Shipp videos on the method.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, when adding water to already wetted pellets or groundbait only add a very small amount by wetting your hand and swirling it in the pellets, it is amazing how little water is needed to wet them down again.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Why not put just neat 2/3mm dampened pellet on the method feeder,or just fishmeal groundbait.