Rod for Wye Barbel?

bullet

Reaction score
Having had my first trip to the Wye recently, and having a fantastic time, I can see I will be visiting again, hopefully soon.
I took the only rod I have that I thought suitable, an old greys 1.5 TC Prodigy TX specimen,
this coped well with everything, the river was low, feeders and bags, but tbh I've never really liked the rod and find it a bit heavy in the hand and generally rather brutish.
My tackle expenditure has been rather limited this year, :wh so I feel I can manage an upgrade to something a bit more pleasant to use but capable of dealing with a range of conditions on the Wye.
Any suggestions?
Ben.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think i'd stick with what you have, especially if the rods ten or more years old.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do you say that, Tigger?

Say what?

If you mean if the rod is one of the older ones, that's because the older prodigy rods where the better ones. I was told they where harrison blanks.

Keith M

Reaction score
Especially the ‘SX’ models which were the next model up from the ‘TX’.

I have one of the ‘SX’ Prodigy barbel rods.

Keith

Reaction score
I'm horrified to think that the early(or any other)Prodigy was a Harrison blank,I've never picked up a Harrison(barbel)rod that felt anything like that,saying that the prodigy rods felt different on every one I picked up,so by the law of averages you should be able to get a goodun,back to the thread question,Harrison Torrix for me also(1.75lb),I prefer 11ft,but with the Wye a 12fter is probably the best option,budget allowing that is,if not,you need to go walkabout looking at different rods as it's very easy to be disappointed,even with the Torrix I'd advise you look at someone's first,though I'm sure you'd be delighted...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm horrified to think that the early(or any other)Prodigy was a Harrison blank,I've never picked up a Harrison(barbel)rod that felt anything like that,saying that the prodigy rods felt different on every one I picked up,so by the law of averages you should be able to get a goodun,back to the thread question,Harrison Torrix for me also(1.75lb),I prefer 11ft,but with the Wye a 12fter is probably the best option,budget allowing that is,if not,you need to go walkabout looking at different rods as it's very easy to be disappointed,even with the Torrix I'd advise you look at someone's first,though I'm sure you'd be delighted...

You've lost me there?

When I went into Harrisons I looked at both the torrix and the chimera rods. The price difference between the two was pretty negligable, the torrix being about 8 quid a rod more expensive....I prefered the feel of the chimera myself.
I used to use the old daiwa tournament whisker kevlar rods for my barbel fishing and they where fantastic, I very much regret selling them.
If you can find one, the best barbel rod i've ever handled is the Hardy marksman supero rod, all the rest pale into insignificance for me after seeing them.

Reaction score
Personal choice again,the blank of the chimera is an older blank,slightly top heavy and heavier in total,you can fish with bamboo canes if needed,I'll stay with my torrix though. We have had threads before with people saying that they wouldn't pay for top rods,that's fine,use what is preferred,I've picked every daiwa barbel rod going,never liked one of them,I would use one of you twisted my arm,but they are an expensive mass produced rod,I've got a marksman smuggler Avon,which is a very good rod,not as good as the torrix,or the Avon special,but that's based on the venues I fish,that doesn't apply everywhere.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Although I would have liked a Chimera or a Torrix I found that my Greys Prodigy ‘SX’ rods were perfectly fine for my Barbel fishing; and I’ve had loads of Barbel and Chub using them over the years with no problems at all.

Some anglers prefer stiffer rods and some anglers need rods that will cast a big heavy feeder to the horizon; but the forgiving through action of the tip section and the way it supplies strength to control a large barbel further down its blank without even hinting of bottoming out just suits me fine.

I bought myself 3 rods from the Prodigy range that cover all of my Barbel fishing (apart from trotting) from low clear water up to flood conditions and they are the 1.5lb Prodigy ‘SX’ Barbel rod and the 1.7lb Prodigy ‘SX’ barbel rod plus the 1.5lb/2lb Prodigy multi tip rod and they suit my own Barbel fishing to a tee.

If I had to replace any of them I might have a look at the Torrix or the Chimera rods but meanwhile my Prodigy ‘SX’ rods are doing a great job.

NB: I don’t think they still sell the 1.5lb version Prodigy ‘SX’ barbel rods

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personal choice again,the blank of the cholera is an older blank,slightly top heavy and heavier in total,you can fish with bamboo canes if needed,I'll stay with my torrix though. We have had threads before with people saying that they wouldn't pay for top rods,that's fine,use what is preferred,I've picked every daiwa barbel rod going,never liked one of them,I would use one of you twisted my arm,but they are an expensive mass produced rod,I've got a marksman smuggler Avon,which is a very good rod,not as good as the torrix,or the Avon special,but that's based on the venues I fish,that doesn't apply everywhere.

Harrisons is only local to me and i've been in their factory several or more times. Obviously I had a good chat with Steve Harrison each time and both he and his manager told me the in's and out's of each rod.
I handled both the torrix and the chimera amongst several other rods and as I said my preferance was for the chimera. The torrix was just a later more modern carbon and a few pounds more expensive. When I held both the chimera and the torrix there felt little difference really and I think the slightly less weigh of the torrix came from it having thinner walls. That was something that swayed me even more towards the chimera. The rod rests haven't looked troubled by the extra weight of the chimera rods......:eek:mg:.
You can also use a clothes prop or brush steel if needed :rolleyes:.

Have you ever seen the daiwa Tournamet whisker kevlar carp rod? They where made in 2 1/4 and 1 3/4 tests, the blanks where as slim as the drennan 13ft acolyte float rods and they where nice light blanks. Imo they were the best rods for barbel fishing i've ever handled/used by a country mile. I had pairs of both the tests and selling them was a huge mistake on my part.

The maksman avon smuggler is a totally different rod to the supero barbel rod.

Reaction score
My rod is the 11ft 6in version,I pushed Hardy over the phone for a test curve and they came up with 1lb 10ozs.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My rod is the 11ft 6in version,I pushed Hardy over the phone for a test curve and they came up with 1lb 10ozs.

Ok, I would have thought that would be great!
I use my 11ft 6 incher for barbel, even trott with it and I like it. For trotting I prefer the 11ft avon, absolute joy to use And play fish on!

Oh, forgot to say, the supero barbel rod is 12ft and has another section and three quiver tips to suite the conditions or your mood on the day.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I would be looking for something with 1-75 and a 2-0 tops in order to deal with conditions that can and do change quickly on the Wye, also whatever you choose be sure it is up to the constant casting of heavy feeders (if that's how you will be fishing)

davebhoy

Reaction score
The bfw I-power is a great Wye Rod - it has twin tops with 1.75 and 2.25 tcs for normal and flood conditions. Harrison blank made to Bob Gills specification

It’s a through action rod which isn’t to everyone’s taste but I’m fishing on the wye this week and it’s been a pleasure to catch fish to over 9lb. Casts big feeders but sensitive for bite detection

Unfortunately he’s taking a break from making rods so you can’t buy new, not many come up used.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
This last fortnight or so has been a perfect illustration of why one rod may not always cope with the wye in all her moods.... the rivers been up - and now down - over 10 feet in the last week or so (I have a trip very soon so watching the levels like a hawk!)

With a proper bit of flood water, I would actually be just as happy using an old-school through actioned carp rod of about 2.5lb tc (and indeed, I have a couple!).

I also have a cheap daiwa black widow twin tip, 1.75lb tc through actioned avon which does the job really well, it's light in the hand and has a very pleasing battle curve.

However, a recently purchased secondhand daiwa pro avon 1.25lb tc avon will also be getting a run out on my next trip, I'm hoping to catch a barbel on a centrepin with it.

I realise there's much more sought after kit out there, rods and reels.... however, there's always a point on a muddy day when my kits getting soaked and generally abused when I think... "I'm glad I didn't spend £200 on that...."

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This last fortnight or so has been a perfect illustration of why one rod may not always cope with the wye in all her moods.... the rivers been up - and now down - over 10 feet in the last week or so (I have a trip very soon so watching the levels like a hawk!)

With a proper bit of flood water, I would actually be just as happy using an old-school through actioned carp rod of about 2.5lb tc (and indeed, I have a couple!).

I also have a cheap daiwa black widow twin tip, 1.75lb tc through actioned avon which does the job really well, it's light in the hand and has a very pleasing battle curve.

However, a recently purchased secondhand daiwa pro avon 1.25lb tc avon will also be getting a run out on my next trip, I'm hoping to catch a barbel on a centrepin with it.

I realise there's much more sought after kit out there, rods and reels.... however, there's always a point on a muddy day when my kits getting soaked and generally abused when I think... "I'm glad I didn't spend £200 on that...."

If someone doesn't want to spend too much coin then the JWYoungs rods might be worth a look, they do look nice!

Reaction score
Look njce ,yes,bloody horrible to hold imo.