EA Licence Sales . . . . Down

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I read elsewhere that EA licenses are down this year on year by over 100,000

You have to wonder if this is due to loss of interest in fishing or are there just more anglers taking the risk and not buying a license this year?

If I remember the details of the deal with the ATr correctly then one large part ofthe conditions was for the Trust to raise interest and participation in the sport?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My guess is a mixture of both reasons. Let’s run a quick poll, when did you last get asked to produce your licence?

In four years I have been asked once, three years ago at a day ticket water by a very meticulous bailiff. I’ve never seen an EA officer checking for licences.

thecrow

Reaction score
In over 60 years of angling I have been asked once during the days of separate river authorities.

Maybe numbers are down because anglers are at last realising that they get nothing from the EA in return for paying the fishing tax.

As for the trust increasing anglers numbers :) :) :)

rich66

Reaction score
Could it be the fact that 13-16 years old don’t have to pay so they just don’t bother ?
And as discussed already who see’s an EA officer ?
Last time I heard of one was 2 years back some bloke was frantically peddling by me on his bike with his kit shouting “hey up mate EA’s about! “
Not that I was bothered I’ve always got a licence. Still didn’t see one

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on how they are counted. I suspect that the fact that a load of carpers are no longer buying two separate licences is likely to have an impact. In previous years, I had my suspicions that licence sales figures were being artificially inflated by 3 and 4 rod anglers having to buy two licences. Even when you bought them at the same time, they arrived separately and never had consecutive numbers.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I suspect that the fact that a load of carpers are no longer buying two separate licences is likely to have an impact.
I think that's true in part, but whether it accounts for 100,000, if that's a true figure, I doubt it. The fact that might surprise some people is that almost every eastern European angler has one. It's the first thing they produce when our association bailiffs or I ask to see their permits.
It might also be that the older folks are dying off and there's not enough young ones to replace them, but I doubt that would account for the difference. Anglers thinking they can get away with it might also be a valid point and with the few Enforcement Officers we have it's no wonder. The last time I was checked was 19 years ago by the same chap that I fish with quite often now and he no longer asks me (although he's probably done a few secret checks using my address, I'll bet ;)).
Here's a thought, maybe some pikers, those who hold by the October rule, might not have bought one at all yet.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think clubs should insist on seeing your licence before agreeing your membership. I’ve joined four clubs since I started fishing and not one has asked.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think clubs should insist on seeing your licence before agreeing your membership. I’ve joined four clubs since I started fishing and not one has asked.

Much depends on how clubs actually sell a book. Many couldn't ask to see an EA licence prior to purchase even if they had an inclination to do so.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have had my licence check twice this year both times on the same commercials where it’s easy pickings for the EA.

I have never been check in over 45 years on river or canals could it be that the EA can’t be bothered to walk the river so the anglers that do fish river know this and aren’t buying a licence because they know that they can get away with it!

Or it could be that this year has been a late starter for a lot because of the very cold start then it was too hot for some plus the licence runs for a year from the day it bought.

There’s a lot that only fish from April to October or are fair weather fishers

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never once had my license checked while fishing¹ in over 50 years since needing one.

Regardless, Ihave always bought one every year that I’ve been resident in the UK as well asbuying weekly ones when back here on holiday.
The fact isthat it is the right thing to do regardless of the chances of being checked . .. . . .

¹ A couple of years ago I was at my local commercial lakes buying bait when a couple of EABailiffs came in and we had a chat about licenses, one of them asked if I’d like to have mine checked there and then but my license resides in my tacklebox and I wasn’t there to fish lol.
I ended up buying them both a cup of tea at the café where we spoke of the need for stab vests etc.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

It takes a special kind of idiot to not buy a licence. Its worth 30 quid just to not be looking over your shoulder.

thecrow

Reaction score
It takes a special kind of idiot to not buy a licence. Its worth 30 quid just to not be looking over your shoulder.

I didn't buy one for years and I am no idiot, one could say that those that believe all the hype are the idiots for paying it but I would never say that, the reason I didn't was because I get nothing back for my money its a tax on fishing, the EA now bears no resemblance to what it should have been after being set up years ago, it was originally intended to be something that could challenge government over environmental issues, it is now nothing more than the lapdog of the government, a lapdog that has grown to large with to many departments all pulling in different directions intent on preserving their job and pensions.

The only reason I have one now is because of fishing with friends on their waters otherwise I still wouldn't have one.

Reaction score
I'm afraid we don't understand how some people think,you only have to watch TV,how many people drive without tax and insurance,driving licence etc,do you think they give a toss,nah,course they dont,so a fishing licence,TV licence etc is small beer,people just don't give a sh*te...

steve2

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if sales are down angling is a declining sport with really just carp and carp anglers holding it together. When the carp fad dies angling will die with it.
Last time I remember having a license check would be around 1970. Have always bought one even when I needed a different one for every area I fished in.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have only been fishing for four years and I have had my licence checked five or six times. Every time it was at a commercial venue. That said, I have not done that much fishing on canals and rivers. Some venues are hotter at making sure you have a licence before they take your money. Other venues, don't even ask if you have one, let alone ask to see it.

I think the fact that it lasts a year from when you buy it now, has probably stopped some people buying a licence in March and maybe they have left it this year until they need to go fishing. Some may at that point not bother or forget. If you are a pike fisherman, maybe you ill leave it until now to buy it. Once this year is over I think that delay will be less obvious as once you have bought it at the time you start fishing, the same will follow year on year. As more kids (13-16) don't have to pay, maybe they think they don't need a licence at all, I think is another factor, as well as the new three-rod licence for carpers. It is probably a combination of factors.

All that aside, like many other hobbies and pastimes, angling is yet another entertainment that requires some effort. Today, and it is not only the youngsters, people want to be entertained, they do not want to make the effort. Ready-made bait and rigs may well help to keep numbers up, to an extent, but you still have to go and fish... Far too much like hard work! :eek:mg:

Ralph ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
To put the number of ea bailiffs in prospective,before I left the Colne valley, some three years and a bit ago, there were just two covering the whole of the M25 area including some venues just outside. I don’t see any ea bailiffs as I don’t fish commercials which, due to their very limited number of boots on the ground (and they travel as a pair for obvious reasons) is where their attention lies....

BTW I do hold a license even though I very rarely ever see another angler (apart from the guy I fish with).............

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
If someone goes fishing they should buy a licence.
Why should the rest of us subsidise them.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Maybe if everyone who fished bought a licence the cost for us all wouldn't be as much.
I don't think i get value from the BBC but i still pay for a licence.
It's the law.
You can't or shouldn't be able to cherry pick which licences you want to buy.
You have only got one now because you were shamed into it.
You wouldn't have gotten away with it in the area i live as we are checked.

Last edited: