Landing pole problems

iain t

Reaction score
I have a landing pole that has the wrong size thread size. I believe i need a 3/8 sized thread for standard nets. Where can i buy an adapter or a nut that i can insert into the pole. Hope this makes sense to you all.

bracket

Reaction score
iain t. You don't say what the thread size in your landing net handle is. My guess would be 8mm. The standard thread size for nets, bankstick ect is normally 3/8"BSF, which is a throw back to the imperial days. This is a bodge you can get away with: in simple terms the thread angle for all metric sizes is 60 degrees and all BSF, 55 degrees, so pretty close. 3/8" BSF has 20 TPI(threads per inch), 8mm has the equivalent of 20.3 TPI, so again pretty close. If you get hold of a BSF 1st tap, also known as a taper tap, they are cheap on the net, you can tap out the 8mm (if it is) and bring it to 3/8" BSF. It will be a tad loose, look rough and will not stand constant screwing in and out but you can get round this by using a quick release rod rest adaptor and locktite the female section into the thread you have cut into the landing net handle. Like I say a bodge, which I have used successfully a few times. If my old Apprentice Master could read this he would be straight out of his box and give me a slap. The proper way of course is to turn up a new 3/8" threaded insert on a lathe to replace the one in your landing net handle. Pete.

Reaction score
A slapped wrist indeed,I don't know what happened to Ian's landing net pole,but it certainly isn't right,I believe it needs a 3/8 bsf tap running through it,probably got a damaged thread.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
With all due respect I would never trust a landing net pole which had been modified or messed about with in any way. The stresses and strains are such that imo it is a nailed on cert to fail catastrophically....the only question is when.

I'm intrigued as to how you have a net handle with the wrong sized thread. Its been 3/8 BSF since the Middle Ages....ditto bank sticks,rod rest heads etc.

GT56

Reaction score
Yes standard thread is 3/8" BSF and very surprised you have something different.
On close inspection does the female thread in the pole look ok?
If the thread has been cross threaded or worse stripped, this may be you're issue.
However if I'm hopelessly wrong and it's a non standard thread, your probably best to state the make/model of the pole and hopefully someone may have come across this before.

iain t

Reaction score
The pole is an unnamed French one. It's a 3 piece Carbon jobbie. It wasn't till yesterday when i decided to replace the netting and found one of the nets side brackets broken. I went to put another landing net( Drennan) on and the poles thread hole is much larger. So am looking for some sort 3/8 net with a sleave on it.

GT56

Reaction score
This doesn't sound good or an easy fix, with possible engineering assistance required.
The thread must be 10mm or 12mm and unless someone knows better, I think you're in the market for a new landing net pole.

iain t

Reaction score
I got others but this one is strong and very light. I may have to find a snapped pole to get whole of the screw in thread part and adapted it to fit my the pole end.

Reaction score
Ian,I agree with S-kippy on this,the importance of a reliable landing net pole is paramount,especially if your catching good fish,I found a net last week,obviously made for spinning/fly fishing etc,the net had no thread,but attached by a collet style fitting,not definite enough for me,so a no-no.

Reaction score
Sorry mate,I missed this,no the collet was all part of the product,some 'angler' had left the thing on the bank due to said collet failing and it turned out a pin had broken and you can't get in to where it is to fit a new one,looking back to your issue,if you could find a brass thread off of the top of a broken pole around the right diameter you could araldite it in,but it you do,drill through and rivet with say some aluminium welding rod to safeguard the adhesive failing in cold water conditions...

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Sorry mate,I missed this,no the collet was all part of the product,some 'angler' had left the thing on the bank due to said collet failing and it turned out a pin had broken and you can't get in to where it is to fit a new one,looking back to your issue,if you could find a brass thread off of the top of a broken pole around the right diameter you could araldite it in,but it you do,drill through and rivet with say some aluminium welding rod to safeguard the adhesive failing in cold water conditions...

That will be a slap on the wrist each then whitty:wh. Pete