Puller float(from Yorkshire tha nos)

mikench

Reaction score
in the pursuit of that wonderful fish and admirable quarry called the roach , i mentioned a puller float on the HDYGO thread! I do not have the ability to copy a post on one thread to another! Another Dave you may need to alter the pic below so it is the right way up otherwise only aussi bob will read it!!!

View attachment 5651

I bought the float of eBay after seeing a vid on YouTube about this style of fishing. Flightliner is aware of their use as they originate in his swim of the river!!!

Has anyone ever used one? I bet Rayner has if he is tuning in!

Another Dave

Reaction score
Your float's on upside-down mate.

5649-how-did-you-get-gjhnfux.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Very similar to the "jigger floats" in principle. Much easier if used on the pole. A friend of mine makes similar ones with plastic drinking straws. Using a pole enables one to lift and drop between the 2 float stops without moving the position of the float, on a rod I'd imagine the float would be pulled towards you?
Not sure why the instructions advise using 4lb line, I'd have thought line of that diameter would hinder the line's progress through the rings?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Considering what Simon has outlined, how do you expect to fish it Mikench?

I'm not a pole man (unfortunately, sometimes) which looks to be the best way of fishing it, but I suppose a long rod, say 14' or longer might do the job.......For me a 2,5lb line would seem best, as I don't expect any roach lunge would break the line!

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with it..............

Oh yes, I forgot to ask; Is it only available in one size?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I haven’t decided Tony save for following the instructions ! The float is hand made and a bit odd so I will just give it a try on a calm day! I will use my match pro I think! If I can make it work I will report back! Don’t hold your breath though!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
in the pursuit of that wonderful fish and admirable quarry called the roach , i mentioned a puller float on the HDYGO thread! I do not have the ability to copy a post on one thread to another! Another Dave you may need to alter the pic below so it is the right way up otherwise only aussi bob will read it!!!

View attachment 5651

I bought the float of eBay after seeing a vid on YouTube about this style of fishing. Flightliner is aware of their use as they originate in his swim of the river!!!

Has anyone ever used one? I bet Rayner has if he is tuning in!

The float pictured is nothing like any puller I have in my box.
The floats I use are adapted stick floats. As far as I know everyone uses a stick, shotted with number 7 styles. not shot like the one in the picture. Styles make for a more natural fall of the hook bait. Shot sink too quickly.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Looking at it and seeing as it works similar to a "Jigga" float which mainly are for margin or shallow work, The length of the float seems to be to long to be used in the margins and shallow.As for using it on a rod I am still trying to figure that one out. Surely you would be bringing the bait anf float towards you away from a baited area. With a "Jigga" you are directly above any bait you have put in.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
You need to buy a pole Mike, you know you want one...

Peter if he used less bait ,( I keep telling him less is more, I take 3 lots, Mike takes 10 lots) with what he saves, in a few months he could afford the Daiwa Arity. and I would be very willing to show him how to use it, Think of the money he could save on not losing floats by trying to get to get close to an island where the fish are, Just ship the pole out to the edge of the island,tap in a bit of feed from pole cup and wait a minute for float to go under , ship back and land fish, See Mike we are saving you money already, less bait, no lost floats by casting to an island, No more wasting money on line that is not right for your reels. You know it makes sense,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
This is what i bought !

puller fishing float, shallow fishing method superior to the waggler | eBay

I have no idea if it works or not but am a sucker for "something new/ a gimmick or a secret weapon!!!. I haven't a clue about styls or stotz so may just try the smallest shot I can manage!!!!

Glad to see you back posting Rayner!!!:)

It says for fishing shallow and casts 15 to 20 metres, also says the 2nd float stop is 3' above the float, It would be no good using it on a commercial to a central island or in some cases the far bank, these are around 16 metres away and are mainly between 12" and 2' deep around the edges, You would be better off making your own from a length of peacock quill cut into short lengths, add a couple of eyes and use as a slider float, Yours could be cut to short length and used as a "jigga" float if you had a pole, (see previous post) They say more tackle catches anglers than fish, I think this caught you :wh By the way I have a silent bite detection unit for sale, special price of £100, Easy to use, can be unclipped from line in seconds ,or left on the line as you play a fish, Nice Red colour,and made from lightweight plastic, Not many seen on the banks these days due to Fairy Liquid changing the bottle top design, As quoted £100 , collect from local fishery.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Very similar to the "jigger floats" in principle. Much easier if used on the pole. A friend of mine makes similar ones with plastic drinking straws. Using a pole enables one to lift and drop between the 2 float stops without moving the position of the float, on a rod I'd imagine the float would be pulled towards you?
Not sure why the instructions advise using 4lb line, I'd have thought line of that diameter would hinder the line's progress through the rings?

Peter is also says in the blurb online to use styles or No13 shot, has the person who is selling these ever tried to put a number 13 shot on 4lb line ? Its bad enough putting it on 0.08 line,

rayner

Reaction score
I really can't understand how these strange floats work. puller floats are made from stick float, they are made to slide on the line sitting on the bottom float stop. Bites are pulled through the float so a soft tipped rod is essential to prevent bumping fish.
A puller as I know them is a very simple method that requires practice to get right.
The float has a slight dip with the front of the float just below the surface, the float stays on the surface and is slowly pulled by pulling the line on the rod.
The slow drop from the styles is imperative to make the float/technique to work properly.

It's a method that only works with rod and line, it's been mentioned that it's similar to fishing a jigga. It's totally not.
A jigga is a method for the pole, the puller is a method for the rod.
It's just a case of firing out a few casters, cast the rig past your feed then slowly pulling the rig through the loose feed.
The tight line to the hook is deadly, if the hook sinks too deep generally it's below any feeding fish.

Like the pellet waggler. If you are sat with the float in the water you are feeding or retrieving unless you are playing a fish. If you sit with the float in the water and are not feeding or retrieving and are not keeping busy then you are not getting the best from the method.
Puller fishing is a very busy way of fishing. It was developed for roach but works very well for Ide.

Lines I use are 2lb reel line with 1 1/2lb hook length to a 18s hook

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks chaps for all your comments! As I haven't a hope of putting tiny shot on the line I suspect this little gem may go unused! I await a windless day and one when I have no urge to catch immediately with any of the 10 baits on offer!! As for poles they look far too cumbersome to me and I shall not be tempted! Nottskev kindly let me have a go with his and I caught a few tench so that was a result! I remain poleless!