6 piece surf rod

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Can anyone out there advise me where I can obtain a 5 or 6 piece light surfcasting rod about 12 feet long in 5 or 6 pieces, something I can take to Australia on the plane.

Not too expensive, preferably under £75

E

EC

Ron, I reckon this is the pick of the litter. Howeverthe shimano exage travel range are worth a look as well, although it might be a bit light they do a 2.75lb carp rod, which a few of my mates have used offbritish and europeanbeaches withreasonable success. They also do a superb range of spinning rods, I have a 7-8ft model, ace for light surf.

Hope that helps, let me know what you choose!

alan

Reaction score
depends what you want to fish for Ron, and what you can cast like.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Mainly the species found on the beaches and in the estuaries of NSW. I havea fair bit of experience fishing rock and surf in SA.

The main Oz species are Tailor (bluefish or as we called them in SA - shad), bream,which are a dead ringer for UK black bream and maybe flathead, a rather ugly but very good eating estuary fish which looks like an African sharp tooth catfish.

I intend to use my old 6000C multiplying reel with this gear.

My son has only got freshwater and fly tackle. I intend to leave the rod with him, no possibility of any decent surf fishing in tne UK these days.

/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
go with EC's rod then. shakey rods are not bad at all, and you wont need anything fancy.

or why not buy a 2 piece in Oz? if you plan on leaving it there, its less luggage for you to take, no chance of it getting damaged on the flight, and you would probably be able to get a better 2 piece and one recomened by the people who fish the area you want to.