Pyracantha berries

mikench

Reaction score
I have an abundance of these orange berries on my Firethorn( pyracantha ) and wonder if they are attractive to fish! They are not toxic and occur naturally so fish may eat them! Has anyone tried them and achieved success?

thecrow

Reaction score
Never even heard of them Mike, the name sounds like something that can be caught from a lady that is free with her virtues :)

All you can do is try them and see what the results are.

lambert1

Reaction score
Absolute barstewards to weed round, but good at keeping out unwelcome human vistors to your garden. Birds love the berries, but no idea if fish will. I suppose that as with Elderberries if a bush over hangs the water they might well be up for it.

rich66

Reaction score
I’d give them a go, I took a walk along the river on Thursday and I was flicking hawthorn berries in they where readily taken.
Thought I’d give elderberries a try but they’ve gone already this year.

mikench

Reaction score
I jolly well will! They are free and might just be a surprise bait! I am sure that I will lose plenty through the gaps in the boards so will try a different venue!:cool:

I am going to digress ,but it is my thread ( and I am fairly laissez faire:rolleyes:) and say that I dropped small twigs, kernels of corn and acorns from about 3 feet onto the platform and almost all landed on the planks! Sods Law is what it is!

mikench

Reaction score
Newsflash! I did try them yesterday but with no success! I probably didn't try them for long enough but I am impatient !

mikench

Reaction score
No but there's an idea! As I like a smorgasbord and tasting menues I assume fish do! I could well be wrong!