Warminster area

Jelster

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not been around much as we've been concentrating on finding somewhere to live now we've sold the house. Looks like we are going to end up in Warminster, as Mrs J likes the area and has an old friend living there.

So, who can fill me in on the fishing options locally? I can see the river Wylye runs through the town, and the Frome isn't far away, so some info on those would be useful, plus any decent clubs worth investing in.

davebhoy

Reaction score
Amalgamated have some stretches of the Bristol Avon that will be quite close. The Barbel fishing isn’t what it was but there’s still some good fishing to be had

Home

Their main Stillwater is Tockenham that might be further than you want to travel but it’s got a good head of bream and carp. I’ve not fished Shackells Lake that might be closer

Longleat and Todber Manor are closer still

pratty117

Reaction score
Hi Jelster
I live in Warminster and you have a number of options to be honest. I don't do any river fishing myself but i would say your first port of call would be to join the Warminster and District Angling Club. They are extremely friendly and have a facebook page and website. Membership is available from Steves tackle, he's on George Street in the town. Pop in and see him when you get the chance, he's a friendly chap and will be able to fill you in. I'm looking to join myself and believe on their ticket you would be able to fish lakes at Crockerton, Witham Friary and Berkeley ( all near the town). They also have a section of the River Frome. I'm a member of Gillingham and District Angling club too. On this ticket i can fish Two Counties Lakes at Mere, Whitepost ( part of the Todber Manor complex) Lodden Lakes (Gillingham) and also a section of river (sorry the name escapes me!). Shearwater ( part of the Longleat Estate)is just outside Warminster and is very popular with Carp Anglers. It holds a good head of Carp, Bream, Roach and also some quality Perch. Towards the Sailsbury area you also have Witherington Farm and also Waldens Farm both commercial style fisheries. It all depends what you are after but you shouldn't be too disappointed, there is plenty to choose from within a 40 minute drive.
Hope this helps and welcome to the area.
Adam

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Other than the fishing there is a lovely old theatre in Warminster (remember it is pronounced Warm’ster) called the Athenaeum . . . they put on some really good plays and many by the local am-dram company, and it even has a little bar for pre-show drinks and for the intermission.

The only problem with the town is that parking is a nightmare . . . . and for river fishing it is not too far from Britford (LAA Day Ticket venue) on the outskirts of Salisbury . . . . .

Jelster

Reaction score
I had seen Warminster & District web page, so that one had registered, but they only have one stretch of river. I hadn't realised that the Avon was just over half an hour away, that's quite interesting.

We're back down tomorrow having a 2nd look at a place (in Damask Way) then also looking at a few others for comparison. Carp fishing looks interesting too.

Thanks for the info on Amalgamated too, had a quick look on their website, plenty of rivers to fish which, although I enjoy my Carp fishing, is the way I'm tending to lean these days.