Vultures picking over the FM carcass.

E

EC

Ok, 'vultures'might be a bit extreme, and I'm sure your intentions are honourable lads/ladies, it is a free forum after all, and if things don't pan out I'll be one of those asking to join in your forum. But out of respect for those individualswhom are in, or are soon to be in, consultation with Magicalia bosses, is thereany chance we can hold back a little with the plugs for other forums?

It may well be that individuals will be parting with their 'hard earned' to keep this community/site together, as suchI personallythink it's a bitpremature to be tempting members elsewhere at this particular time. Every FMmember tempted elsewhere is effectivelydiluting the sites'viability to the potential new owners.

This isn't a 'pop' neither is it intended to start a free for all, but lets allow those discussions to at least begin before we start carving up FM.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
EC,

To a point I agree with you.

But WHY should we have a buy out, a new site of our own would cost very little.

I

Ian Cloke

Eddie, perhaps the people putting other sites up, are just trying to give FM members the time to "relocate"? After all, two weeks isn't a lot of notice mate, and there are only nine days left till the proposed closure.

Just out of interest, when would you think that alternative sites should be put forward? Because who knows just how long Ed Marriage will be ill and unfit to negotiate?

E

EC

I wouldn't know Ian.

Knowing that some are about to possibly enter into negotiations about saving this site, I'm just not sure that now is the time to be carving us members up.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
EC,

I dont want to carve up the members, far from it. But I do know this much. If some of those members do buy out, members will split, no doubt.

Graham was FM, He has now retired, well trying to. FM members going to their own new site, with no strings to Magicalia, would'nt be turning their backs on Graham. Far from it, they would be staying together.

Time is running out, but it is onlyright that we give them time to talk, but next week could be our last.

Why is it magicalia wont give anyone the asking price? Ed marriage doesnt have to be around to tell us that.

E

EC

Ray, I don't know anything except that some members are looking to possibly carry the site forward. Yes Graham was an integral part of FM, but so too are the rest of the members. Web site members are fluid, they come and go, then come back again,GM alsowill pop in and out and will still remain a member.

I simply thinkwe should show a little respect to those whom are about to go intodialogue to try and save this, our site.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I thought exactly the same as you EC and I'm not having a "pop" either.

I'm not saying I won't have a little lookie though, but let's give it until Monday. If nothing has been established by then, well, it's time to make our own plans.

I upset some of my friends the other day and I hope they all know that is the very last thing in the world I would want to happen.

When I log onto FM I am basically saying hello to my fishing family after a hard days work, that's how comfortable I feel with FM. I don't want to see it go down the pan, far from it, I love FM and the family I have made on it.

I truely hope it can be saved.

W

Wolfman Woody

Agreed Eddie,

<u>I JUST WISH THAT PEOPLE WOULD STOP HAVING A GO AT MAGICALIA!</u>

This site is not dead yet!

It has not expired.

It is still alive.

AND - there is still hope for it to continue UNDER MAGICALIA, BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE F***ING UP THE CHANCES FOR IT!

Please, NO MORE NEW SITES.

We are now aware there are some and soem members on here have alternative plans should it go pear-shaped, so just leave it at that.

END OF!

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
As has been said in another thread, talkangling was in the same position a while ago, ( no this isnt a plug from a 'vulture'), but someone took over the site and it is stronger than ever now. With the size and popularity of FM I really can't see it being shut down, something will happen to save it /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Whilst I agree that Eddie's thread title seems a little strong, "Vultures picking over the FM carcass."

It does look to an outside world like and accident on a motorway and every other driver rubbernecking, trying to work out what's happened, who was at fault, when are the ambulances turning up, which hospital will the injured go to, and how many will go to the morgue.

Worst of all, the rubberneckers are calling the other rubberneckers for ... rubbernecking.

Well, so it seems.

But I will bet you this, we will still be wishign each other a Merry Christmas on THIS site on Christmas Day.

And maybe Happy New Year as well.

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
Oi! I consider myself more of an ambulance chaser than a vulture /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif But were you in our avian position, I think you would be making the same offer. Only a fool would allow a resource such as this fantastic FM community to just vanish without at least making a bit of an effort to save it - and proof of it's desirability is the amount of sites making the invitations. This could actually increase the perceived value of FM rather than detract from it, so all debate is good debate in this case.

In normal times we could expect someone to buy FM in an instant - but the world-wide financial problems mean that we can't be complacent. Nobody expected Leman Bros etc to go under either, but it happened. It could be that a buyer for FM will not be found, in which case perhaps you guys ought to start a thread looking at which of these newly suggested 'vulture' sites would suit you best. That at least would be a pro-active step instead of just sticking your heads in the sand and hoping it won't happen - which does seem to be a danger and is the other side of the coin.

Geoff

R

Roto Fryer

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Roto Fryer wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

ok so now there are at least 3 sites set up to help members keep in contact should the worst happen.

Facebook

The Clone

Another Site

Let me know by PM if there are any more </blockquote>That still seems to be the situation along with a couple of chancers that have come along, hoping that we will make a success of their failed sites. 2 of the above clearly state that the only reason they exist is to help facilitate any move to a new site should it be required or indeed even wanted. I suggest that all members join one now so that their views will be heard, and they can keep in contact in the event that FM ceases to exist. Once FM is hopefully saved we will remain here and the sites will be closed. I suspect the facebook will continue in the short term.

Lets not leave anything to chance.

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
C'mon Roto - Let's get real. One mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The people you disparagingly call 'chancers' (and others elsewhere are calling poachers) are in fact throwing you a lifeline if a buyer is not found within 8 days. In which case, the only 'failed site' will be this one, and the only losers will be this community. The 'vultures' will still be around - but they might look a little more like angels by then. At the end of the day, we are all guys like you who like going fishing, not some kind of roadkill-eating monster. If another site benefits from increased traffic if FM goes, so what? Nobody dies and it's gonna happen anyway.

The three links you list are a good start but all appear to be temporary measures - perhaps a more balanced list would include the other 'vulture/angel' sites as at least two of them are offering permanent solutions.

As others have pointed out, hopefully a buyer will be found and this debate will be redundant - but a plan B is needed just in case.

Geoff

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Well Eddie I very nearly put a thread up along similar lines yesterday after reading some of Nobs posts,what an unsavioury characther he is for sure ,so full of himself slags the site of then advertises his own stuff on it .Some have been just trying to keep the lads an lasses together while some are just out to further there own sites Nob.