Catching The Impossible

• Thread starter Baz (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Just watched the free DVD given with this weeks Angling Times (Catching The Impossible).

The format was great and so was the content.? If this short DVD is anything to go by, the fuller version will be a must have.? The underwater filming by Hugh Miles was second to none, and the comentory by Bernard Cribbins was, as usual excellent.

Adams Mill came as a bit of a shock, as to me it is little more than a ditch in places.? Still, it is well worth watching, and if this DVD doesn?t lubricate your tastebuds, then nothing will.?

Top marks to all concerned.

Reaction score
Just watched it as well - fabulous! Very reminiscent of "passion" and as Baz has said the underwater footage is incredible.

Was gutted that they stopped it part way through the battle with the Barbel. Ithink the DVD was just the first 30 minutes of episode 1, so it seems reasonable to assume the whole set will be of a similar standard.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I was a bit concerned where in the A.T. it said the background music has been specially composed. No need to worry on that point either. In anticipation I would agree that it will be some time before we see another DVD made to this standard.

F

Fred Bonney

Baz, I have the 3 partdisk,if you want to borrow it, pm me your address.

It's as good as you think it is, but better.

Adams Mill, is as you saw it.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Cheers Fred.

I didn't even know it was out.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
It was frightening to watch first ten minutes of free DVD as I thought it was an episode of 'Passion' that I'd missed! Same voice and filming style. Underwater scenes very good but I wonder about Martin Bowler. Doesn't seem to have the personality for TV (I'm sure he's a nice guy but TV is a bit different). Interesting to see how people feel.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Well Mathew, here's how I feel.

I watched the short DVD again. Possibly it is in the quiet peacefull way the dvd had been put together. And that is what I like about it. It fits my style of fishing perfectly. it also brought back memories like THESE. Scroll down to the end paragraphs titled "It's not allways the biggest catches). That's what it's all about for me.

I was going to spend these coming winter months after Perch and Roach. After watching the dvd, I have now decided to get back on the river after the Chub. I'm already daydreaming of Boxing Day, and hoping for a misty or foggy day, where all I can see is the water by my feet as it trundles over the half submerged boulders. I don't think there is anything more pleasent than the sound of water on a cold and misty day. Catching is a bonus.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Your last post brought back good memories Baz. Fished there myself on crispy foggy morning.

I was most disappointed when Hugh Miles Catching The Impossible could not get air time on terrestrial TV. I've ordered my copy.

Blunderer

Reaction score
First impressions are as following, for me:

The underwater footage is stunning. It makes the Korda videos look embarrassingly amateurish(although they copy the Korda technique of arowing the bait). It is the underwater wildlife footage I have always wanted to see. Crystal clear and beautiful. And all the more amazing when you see that Hugh Miles just used an underwater camera on a landing net handle!

There are 30 minutes on here, which appear to be the first 30 minutes of the first episode. First impressions are that Catching is much better than A Passion for Angling in terms of the quality of footage shot. A scene of some big carp hoovering up bait and one getting hooked is amazing. When you couple this with the underwater action, then it is a visual feast.

However, it was immediately apparent to me that the voiceover script lacked Chris Yates' poetry and evocatism and was slightly pedestrian. Also the chemistry between Martin Bowler and Mernard Cribbins was just not there.

I do not wish to be overly critical as it looks to me as if it will be the second best angling series ever made. And these blips may vanish as the series progresses. I suppose the problem for Hugh Miles is that it will always be compared with Passion.

I will definitely be buying all the DVDs and I really hope that TV pick it up, although it seems unlikely.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
If it had bill oddie and kate humble plus rutting stags,seals,otters and plenty of blue tits,then you can bet your last quid it would be on telly !!!!

What a shame because the under water fish footage was as good as any other wildlife footage i`ve seen on tv.

Waveney One

Reaction score
Could one airbrush out Martin Bowler and replace him Kate Humble using photoshop? Not only would it sell but I have to admit would add a bit to the dvd. Their hair is the same length.

Seriously though, I think that Bernard Cribbins does a good job with the voice over. I am a fan of Chris Yates but I think Cribbins is likely to have wider appeal.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matthew Nightingale (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Could we get Kate Humble to jump into a carp lake to land a fish, in a T shirt...or is my mind just wandering.</blockquote>
Stop making such suggestions. I use enough tissues when I'm watching Springwatch. /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You dont see Adams Mill for what it is in this DVD, there's far more to the place, dont worry about that. Best I have seen by a long way, even better than A Passion for Angling I think.

The Ospray is out of this world, and thats the great thing about fishing, you never know what you can come across.

Reaction score
Hugh Miles is a genius and it is a total travesty that the series is not on terrestrial.

This is the first series that shows in depth the beauty of the underwater world, and it is this kind of footage thatmay finally get fish some of the respect they deserve from the 'fluffy/ feathery or bust' brigade.

I have never understood why so called ecologists display a preference and conservational bias for one part of an eco-system.

I thought the Bowler/ Cribbins relationship worked well. I loved the bit with Bernard taking the p*ss out of Martin for bringing an un-necessary bit of kit... his net!

And the subsequent Bowler revenge, when he sets the 75 year old up in a tight aquarium swim, and he has to push Bernard in so he can get an angle to land the fish.

It's on my Christmas list for sure! Shame we can't buy the full series yet.