Spliced tip rod

mikench

Reaction score
What, if anything, is inherently wrong with using such a rod on a Stillwater? Apart from a current( I avoided the word flow as many stillwaters do have a pronounced flow) what is the difference in rivers and lakes that determine which rods are suitable and which are not?

kenpm

Reaction score
Spliced tip rods came about because in the early days of carbon rods they could not manufacture hollow tips fine enough to give the correct action that people wanted. The most popular and best of these rods at the time was the Shakespeare President,they were used for all forms of fishing in lakes and rivers but then as carbon technology developed hollow tipped rods could be made fine enough and the spliced tips lost favour.
The only drawback with a properly built spliced tip rod is line wrap caused by tip wobble due to the tip being so fine it tends to bounce a bit when you hold the rod and unhook fish or bait up,you reduce this by keeping some tension on the line at all times which is good practice anyway.
I still use a spliced tip Shakespeare Boron from time to time which is a superb rod nearly 40 years old.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What, if anything, is inherently wrong with using such a rod on a Stillwater? Apart from a current( I avoided the word flow as many stillwaters do have a pronounced flow) what is the difference in rivers and lakes that determine which rods are suitable and which are not?

Nothing Mike.

sam vimes

Reaction score

It depends entirely on the spliced tip rod in question. Just because a rod has a spliced tip does not mean that they all share the same kind of action. There are spliced tip rods out there that are intended for (light) waggler work on still and very gently flowing waters (Browning Sphere Hotrods, various Tricast canal rods, old Daiwa 12' canal rods etc). However, the bulk of spliced tip rods have much faster actions and are/were intended for trotting on proper flowing water. The differences between the two types should come down to the speed of the action and can sometimes be hinted at in the length of the splice. The light waggler/canal types I've seen generally have a proportionally longer spliced section which gives a more through action than a typical spliced tip trotting rod.

There's nothing stopping anyone using a spliced tip trotting rod for stillwater waggler fishing. However, it probably won't cast a decent sized waggler anywhere near as well as a more through actioned waggler rod. Trying to launch a reasonably big waggler any distance may even put the delicate splice in peril of breakage. They definitely aren't intended for big overhead chucks with heavier floats.

mikench

Reaction score
Cheers chaps! The only spliced tip rod I have , to my knowledge, is my tricast John Allerton which apart from a brief foray on a river has only ever seen a Stillwater ! It has handled carp,tench, roach and bream without any difficulty and cast a light waggler as far as I wanted to cast it!

Is the acolyte plus a spliced tip?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers chaps! The only spliced tip rod I have , to my knowledge, is my tricast John Allerton which apart from a brief foray on a river has only ever seen a Stillwater ! It has handled carp,tench, roach and bream without any difficulty and cast a light waggler as far as I wanted to cast it!

Is the acolyte plus a spliced tip?

The acolyte isn't spliced Mike, although it does have a nice fast action (it feels fast to me)for striking and mending line etc when using it on the river.
What's in the pipeline to bring this line of conversation up :eyebrows: .

mikench

Reaction score
I might wish to identify as Dorothy today!!!! The world is crackers!!! Back on post I meant a rod from yesteryear!

mikench

Reaction score
I may not get it ! Amorphous whisker connoisseur tournament tom Pickering something or other ! It needs to be 13' to fit the name on!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I may not get it ! Amorphous whisker connoisseur tournament tom Pickering something or other ! It needs to be 13' to fit the name on!:rolleyes:

Nice rods Mike!
Is it the stick or waggler version?

mikench

Reaction score
Is it the stick or waggler version?

It's the light waggler version I'm after but either will do! I bet You have a few in your collection Ian!!:)

What was the main difference between the whisker rods and the amorphous whisker rods?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's the light waggler version I'm after

Good luck, I spent over a year looking for one of the Light versions of the Daiwa match rods. They were out there occasionally, but they were either too knackered or far too expensive (or a nasty combination of both) for me.

I tried more than the odd alternative in a similar vein. The ones I'm actually using now, depending on the exact circumstance, are a Normark Microlite, Browning Sphere Hotrods and Drennan Acolyte Ultras.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's the light waggler version I'm after but either will do! I bet You have a few in your collection Ian!!:)

What was the main difference between the whisker rods and the amorphous whisker rods?

The amorphous where 24 strand carbon and the amorphous whiskers where 12 strand.
I have sent you a PM about some amorphous tournaments....you got it?