Clocks going back

Philip

Reaction score
Does this help or hinder or make no difference to your fishing ?

Part of me quite likes it as it means dusk comes an hour earlier so you can fish the magic hour and still be home for dinner at a reasonable time.

The other part of me hates it as its cold dark and miserable that much longer !

sam vimes

Reaction score
I rarely get my backside in gear before 1400, so it has a fair impact on me. However, when it gets colder, I go for shorter sessions anyway, so it's not the end of the world.

flightliner

Reaction score
I'm pretty much like you Philip. Early darkness is a bonus maybe the cold is the only difference as if I'm out it's an accepted, it's the falling asleep as soon as I've sat down in a warm house that gets me a big earache !

daniel121

Reaction score
It makes little difference to me, my fishing is baced on the day light hours anyway. This is unfortunately due to age and my body packing in on me, In this case my eyes. I've had several operations on them while I'm very grateful to the wonderful medical staff who has saved my sight twice its come at the cost of poor night vision, I go almost blind in low light conditions! For this fishing the magic hour is a thing of the past for me.

Therefore all moving the clocks an hour either way does is keep me in bed an hour or get me up an hour earlier.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
For the next couple of weeks I will be able to start out earlier in the mornings to miss the heavy traffic (which really gets going around 07.15) but only if the weather plays ball. It means I can set off at 06.15, then 06.20 etc. until the mornings close in as well.
Even if I don't fish I'm still up before 06.15. Rising early never been as issue as I love the early mornings.

I went yesterday and would've gone this morning, but I can no longer sit out on consecutive days without my medical issues kicking in. Still, at least I'm getting out which is a massive bonus.......

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
There is talk of doing away with altering the clocks, and I would prefer it, early start in summer and darker an hour sooner at night,
At least I’d get home earlier as the last couple of hours are usually the best.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Won’t make much difference to me, I will still fish the same hours as I did before.

nottskev

Reaction score
I never liked the clocks going back. I much prefer to have the extra hour of light at the end of the day. It was no use to me all the years at work to have brighter mornings - the hours before work were "dead" time, taken up with getting up, getting breakfast, getting ready and driving there. It made no difference whether light or dark. I wanted the extra hour of light after work, so at least a bit of your free time was in light, whatever you chose to do with it.

I feel the same now, for different reasons. I need time in the mornings to get sorted and ready for the day, so I don't enjoy the need to be rushing out earlier to make the most of the shrinking daytime. I'd much rather start later and fish til 5 or later than start earlier and have to finish by 4.

I wonder if we'll ever get the chance to opt for a preference, now that referenda have been shown to be such good decision-making methods?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In my kitchen I have a very old School clock mounted on the wall, quite high up, so it is still showing the “old time” and I will wait for my daughter to come tomorrow so she can change it.

It can get confusing as just a few minutes ago I was in the kitchen making a pot of tea and glanced at the clock and realised it was time to make lunch. So, I cooked a couple of fried eggs and some bacon and got it on the plate before realising it was only 11:30 . . . . . lol

Some years I used to fly to Helsinki several times a year on business and the BA pilot on landing was oft heard to announce, “we have arrived in Helsinki where the clocks go forward by one hour while the calendar goes back 50 years” . . . . .

:)

bracket

Reaction score
I find all this totally ridiculess. At any day in the year there is a given number of daylight hours. This is entirely down to the time of year and position of the Sun and is unalterable. It matters not one whit what position the hands of the clock are in. Nature follows the Sun only people are dictated to by watches. Pete

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I think the clocks should be left as they are and forget British summer time! We should however stay in line with Europe ie France as 1 hour ahead is bad enough!

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Could anyone explain why we still mess about with the clocks as I can see no reason for it at all.

This may be a myth, but I've often heard it bandied about that it's something to do with kids going to school...

seth49

Reaction score
Why do we turn the clocks back?

Britain first adopted British Summer Time during the First World War in order to save fuel by reducing the need for artificial light.

The idea was originally thought up by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, though it was not formally introduced in the UK for another 132 years.

In 1907, William Willett, a builder and great-great-grandfather to Coldplay’s Chris Martin, campaigned for the clocks to be turned back in a leaflet entitled ‘The Waste of Daylight’.

The policy eventually came into effect in 1916 in a bid to save candles and coal during World War One, though Germany had already adopted the idea.

Some people have argued that it is time to abandon GMT and adopt an year-long British Summer Time.

Studies suggest that this would save about 100 lives per year because the evenings would be lighter, thus helping prevent car accidents.

On the other hand, getting rid of GMT would delay sunrise until about 10am in Scotland during the darkest winter months.

From Google.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who spent his entire working life on International Projects, and constantly dealing with mostly European and Scandinavian contractors and sub-contractors, I found the daylight savings time particularly useful.

Also, having lived in many northern climes that extra hour of daylight is very beneficial.