How to Gag a Pike the Jardine Way.

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
Alfred Jardine Esq. was undoubtably one of the most famous and successful of early pike anglers. With the introduction of the Fishing Gazette Magazine, the 1870’s bristled with reports & images of tackle inventions, catches and all things fishy. Jardine took on the mantel of pike guru, indeed many of his close friends referring to […]
The post How to Gag a Pike the Jardine Way. appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Read more...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is considered as “barbaric” these days Graham, but even when I was a nipper a gag was in popular use as a means to keep a pike’s mouth open while hooks were removed.

We anglers are far better informed these days and take far more care of our catches, but we should recognise the history of the sport, both the good and the bad.

As a “collectable” item I don’t see a problem myself and in one of my shadow cases I have a good few Jardine snap tackles and an old fashioned spring type gag as well.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

So these are the threads everyone is moaning about.. I actually enjoyed reading that.

Another Dave

Reaction score
There were some a few weeks ago about how the fixed spool reel evolved in stages, i found those really fascinating as i'd never though about it before.