Fish ointments

steve2

Reaction score
Fish ointments do you carry them and why do you use them?
I never have and don’t see the reasoning behind using them. Fish got cuts and bruises in every day life and they don’t go and see the fish doctor so why shouldn’t damage inflicted by anglers heal naturally. I have seen plenty of fish damage from predator bites that have healed naturally.
I have a friend that puts it on almost every fish he catches apart from pike although pike suffer far more damage than most other fish from the use of treble hooks.
Is carrying ointment just there to give the angler a feel good factor?
Strange thing is that those anglers that carry first aid kits for fish never carry a first aid kit for themselves.

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
Following my recent move to Somerset, i have been trying out some new commercials. Last time out i went to the Four Ponds Fishery, and they insist on anglers carrying some form of fish antiseptic solution for any or all of their lakes, but particularly the specimen lake. I was only going to do some general coarse fishing on the tench lake, so i enquired, but they still asked me to bring some for any bad hook holds. So i bought some Gardner Intensive Care spray, just in case. I didnt use it however because my tench catch was pristine:)

I've never been asked before, but it's their fish.....

Cheers, Bob

terry m

Reaction score
I do carry a Korda carp care kit and use it when any damage or open sores or wounds are apparent.

I only really use on Cary and pike, I have no idea how great the benefits are but I guess it does no harm.

BTW I do carry a first aid kit for myself!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think I have some lurking in the bottom of a bag somewhere. It was only bought because a venue that I paid one visit to insisted on every angler having some. I doubt that it's even been out of the house for at least two years.

carpinbob

Reaction score
I’ve got a carp care kit in the bag and only ever use it when I’ve seen damage, and so far it’s only been used once .

Keith M

Reaction score
I keep some in my Carp tacklebox for treating open wounds but it’s probably out of date anyway as I’ve had it for years and only used it a few times.

It doesn’t cost that much or take up too much space in the tacklebox, and if it does help fight infection in a deep wound and speed up the healing process in any way then I think it’s worth the small cost and even if it doesn’t do anything at all; at least it gives me peace of mind that I’ve tried.

Keith

iain t

Reaction score
I keep a bottle for a few years but never had to use it. I did some research on fish antiseptic that are sold in angling shops. A very good friend of my wife that is an anesthesiologist tested a bottle i had. It turned out to be human antiseptic but less concentrated with added colour. So if i get a cut or scratch i know i can safely use it on myself. Am not saying that other fish antiseptic are the same. Some may other ingredients.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

The stuff the "dries" when you splash water on it looks good but I have not got around to buying some yet, I have seen it used and it looks very good though.