Travel fishing tackle

Reaction score
Hi all,i have just bought myself a little 125cc motorbike as i dont drive so thought this is a cheap option to get me to my favourate fishing spots.
Im wanting to take minimal tackle on my bike to ensure my safety.This is all i need anyway as the place i want to fish is the Upper Witham roving for chub etc.
I have a youngs travel rod that i can easily get on the bike but the one thing im struggling with is my landing net handle.
With this in mind can anyone tell me of a good handle that you may know of as the ones i have found are still a little too long to carry with confidance.
Also does anyone know if i am by law allowed to carry a quiver on my back while on the bike as this would solve my problem but i dont want to risk any police trouble of risk anyones safety.
Anyone else use a motorbike for fishing would love to hear how you carry tackle if you do.
Thanks for any input guys and gals

E

EC

I'm not sure of the law Paul but I've seen lots of anglers on mopeds and 125's etc. carrying rod bags.

Edit: there are a few trout net/handles which i suspect would be fine for chub which fold up and can be carried on your back

Reaction score
Thanks for that EC. Just gone through the reviews on here again and i think the fox stalking handle might be best i have foundsofar,just trying to find best price at the minute. £39.99 best i have found so far.Seems ideal as it folds from 21" to 60" it doesnt need to be too long as there are no high banks where i normally fish.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
It's pricey but Fox do a travel landing net handle. Though for most purposes a folding trout net does me well enough

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Get a little trailerlike this .......

bike_mono1b.jpg

brummie

Reaction score
I used to go fishing on a motor bike. I had a luggage rack and top box. If I couldn't fit it in the top box (except for the rods) it didn't go.The rods and landing net handle went along the side of the bike attached to the tank and the luggage rack. Bungee cords and bits of string held them in place along side the saddle. Don't worry if they protrude by the forks, you,ll see that there is plenty of clearance with a little practice. The landing net was lashed to the top box.

This way you,ve got nothing hanging off you and Plod hasn't another excuse to stop you.

cheers. Ian /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Paul B

Reaction score
I have a team daiwa 4 piece telescopic net handle. It's about 7' long extended and about 2' long collapsed and only a tenner. I think it's the 7th one down on this page. I bought it for roving on the dane for chub and have used it for carp on commercials and it's been fine.

Edit; I ride a bike myself but don't use it for fishing. After an accident in which a car pulled out in front of me and i was thrown over it, i would advise you to avoid carryingANY type of bag on your person while on the bike.I had a rukka on my back and although it may have taken some of the impact the items in it where only soft. Oh, apart from the glass bottle of milk which I was bloomin lucky didn't pierce the padding of the rucka/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Philip

Reaction score
I occasionally try and get things onto a bike...push bike in my case...

How long do you needyourlanding net handle to be ?...if you only need a short one in the past I have used anextending bankstick...you can also fit a smaller extending bank stick inside a biggerone to get 3 or more levels of"extendiness" if you see what i mean....but can be quite heavy like that.

Imanged to get hold of a 6 foot telescopic carp handle that collapses to about 3 foot...I am sure there will be others on the web. Also at a boot sale(well worth scouting) I managed to get an extending landing net handle that I can only imagine was for sea fishing off high sea walls orginally as it goes from about3.5foot to over 12...light and strong too ...perfect for really high bank chub swims and its got a sort of screw fitting butt cap which you can screw more sections too if you wanted to extend it even further...it cost me 3 quid including the net ! ...maybe check out the sea sections..

slime monster

Reaction score
Paul ,i was a biker for years and used to match fish ,this is how i carried all my tackle

rack on rear for box ,carryall on pillion seat,rod holdall carried by placing base on pillion foot peg and leant back at an angle to the rack everything secured with good quality bungees it worked for years for me one of my bikes was a small 200cc no problem .

Paul B

Reaction score
Slime, that looks a good way to do it; Idon't like to think of the possibile resultof getting tangled up with a quiver/holdall of sharp metal sticksover your shoulder in an off.

Reaction score
ok guys, thanks for all your input.
I have used my push bike for the last few years as you say-rod/handle along cross bar but i got tired of 20mile each way trips so thats why i decided on the motor bike.
As some of you have said i wasnt too keen to carry my quiver for fear of it going in the wheel but i tried it and i dont think there is anyway it can unless i fall off.
Im looking around at the minute for a top box so that can take real/bait and terminal tackle.
Im going to try it on friday and get a couple hours in after work.Just a bit of chub fishing so only need hooks/shot/bait and reel,then put net handle and rod in my quiver.
If i survive ill let you know if i achieved it,if not its bin nice knowing you all!