Have I been ripped off?

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I just went into a tackle shop and asked for a heavy duty spinning rod and left with a wynchwood riot cork 10ft 3lb tc... It doesnt look like a spinning rod.. more like a carp rod. :confused:

chrissh

Reaction score
Found this on google don’t think it’s a spinning rod (more a stalking rod)

Our awesome new Riot range of entry level Carp Rods offer exceptional value for money while giving you performance, power and reliability.
A comprehensive range of rods including 9ft, 10ft, 12ft lengths in varying test curves and styles. They have been tested and designed to suit the majority of modern day carp angling styles.

The 12ft versions incorporate 50mm ringing and progressive casting actions. There is also a Utility rod available for all of your bait deliverance and marker needs.

The 9ft and 10ft versions have been designed with the short to medium range angler in mind. Whether you are targeting canals, rivers or small waters; these rods are sure to make your intimate angling approach even more enjoyable.

Complete with custom guide spacing and anti-frap tip rings, these rods are available in Full slim Cork or EVA handle options.

Slim, lightweight matt black carbon fibre blank with progressive casting action.
Double leg black SIC guides and anti-frap tip.
50mm butt guide on 12ft models.
Full slim Cork and EVA options available.
Fold friendly ringing pattern.
Black DPS reel seat.
Line friendly clip.
Black anodised laser etched butt cap.
Lifetime warranty policy

I Predict A Riot | News | Fishing Tackle | Wychwood Carp

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
Not sure on this one. I know you can get 12ft. 2.75tc spinning rods for Pike. This I've heard is mostly for dead baits. My heaviest spinning rod has a max weight of 45g and 8ft long. Been lead to believe this is OK for Piking I may be wrong but the rod you have, i would have thought more of a stalking/margin rod. If it is, it would not have the same action of a spinning rod.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always research before buying rods and reels if your not sure.

A quick question posted on this forum would have given you a few recommended options which most probably wouldn’t have included the Wychwood.

Take it back if they’ve more suitable alternatives.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't think you've been ripped off, you saw it before you bought it in the shop and decided to buy it.
I suppose you could take it back and change it for something more suitable...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whether you have, or have not, been badly advised, you've not been ripped off. If you don't think it's what you want, take it back.

Richox12

Reaction score
In short - no.

Your spec was a 'HEAVY DUTY' spinning rod. So you now have one. Regardless of what the rod's label may say.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I am a bit trusting at times... I broke my spinning rod recently and lost all the tips to my Mitchell challenger and so i may have rushed the buy to ease my pain. I specifically said i need to chuck 100 -- 200 gram lures to him. I respect his word, he has been doing this for decades so I will go and try it out and then decide what to do. Next time i shall talk to you guys.

daniel121

Reaction score
As others have said, you have not been ripped off. I think the best cause of action is to walk away and think about what's been recommended, if you still want it pop back and buy it, if not reserch and look for and alternative you would be happy with.

At the end of the day, your tackle dealer would not want you to be unhappy with your item they rely on you coming back.

john step

Reaction score
My maths is suspect so....I think 100 to 200 gms is about 2 to 4 ounces?? If you told the dealer that is what you wanted, you have a rod to chuck that weight. Certainly a HEAVY spinning rod. I suspect it will be very versatile for sink and draw deadbaits/close in carping/ pike when you dont need to reach over bankside rushes.

Depending on my maths of course:eek:mg:

I bet you will find many uses for it.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I think the term i should have used is mislead. I will give it a go tomorrow and see how it does. I definitely should have researched a bit.

daniel121

Reaction score
Enlighten me S63?

The OP found my post helpful, that's good enough for me :)

mikench

Reaction score
That's a sizeable weight to cast repeatedly and retrieve! Few normal spinning rods would comfortably do that!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Most spinning rods are a bit short for bank-fishing, the extra two feet will often come in handy if the margins aren't "manicured" to death. I've never understood why spinners are believed by "The Industry" to want rods no longer than they were happy to use in the days of built cane; my 10' spinner is now the only carbon rod I'm guaranteed to use at least a couple of times a season, and I love the extra reach.

The optimum casting weight for a 3lb. test rod would be three ounces, about 80g., but four or more ought to be chuckable with a slow "lob".
It looks as though your rod will handle everything from light bass-fishing, through dead-baiting with small legered baits or medium-sized float-fished ones, down to chucking big lures (which is what you wanted, no?) and, of course, carp fishing ... though as the optimum line for a 3lb. rod is 15 pounds b.s., you'd be looking at pretty chunky carp before you needed it.
It will also be good with a bait dropper, and as a marker/depth-finder rod. All in all, it should do what you want, and a load more besides, so don't worry too much. Fish can't read "Carp" on a label and avoid accordingly.

steve2

Reaction score
As someone that does a lot of lure fishing I would not use a rod of this type for lure fishing unless may be I was casting big jerk bait. But for the price you paid it would make a good pike rod.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Most spinning rods are a bit short for bank-fishing, the extra two feet will often come in handy if the margins aren't "manicured" to death. I've never understood why spinners are believed by "The Industry" to want rods no longer than they were happy to use in the days of built cane; my 10' spinner is now the only carbon rod I'm guaranteed to use at least a couple of times a season, and I love the extra reach.

The optimum casting weight for a 3lb. test rod would be three ounces, about 80g., but four or more ought to be chuckable with a slow "lob".
It looks as though your rod will handle everything from light bass-fishing, through dead-baiting with small legered baits or medium-sized float-fished ones, down to chucking big lures (which is what you wanted, no?) and, of course, carp fishing ... though as the optimum line for a 3lb. rod is 15 pounds b.s., you'd be looking at pretty chunky carp before you needed it.
It will also be good with a bait dropper, and as a marker/depth-finder rod. All in all, it should do what you want, and a load more besides, so don't worry too much. Fish can't read "Carp" on a label and avoid accordingly.

Its funny, Alan. I have just come back from testing it out and I found it to be just like you said. It handled 70gm ok (but I didnt feel "in contact" with the lure") but at 140 gram it was making strange noises and was more of a "lob".

I am going to see about taking it back and seeing if I can put some money on top to get another rod (maybe a cheap quiver). He said I can return it if I managed to break it but I dont want him to lose money like that. Can anyone on here recommend a cheap(er the better) spinning rod that can cast heavy lures?

john step

Reaction score
By coincidence I have just received a copy of Glasgow Angling Centre brochure which is a predator biased tome.
I was looking at the spinning rods and with just about every brand of spinning rod the heavy end was about 80 grams.
There are Stillwater and Shimano rods amongst others about the £40 mark or less.

I am not a competent lure angler to comment on which is best but have a look at their website to get an idea.