Sticklebacks & Tadpoles

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
In the Squatt tread, Whitty mentioned about catching hundreds of Sticklebcks on half a Squatt in match.This got me thinking, (now you know what that noise was, it was brain cell pinging about).
I have not seen sticklebacks or tadpoles in any of the waters I fish for a long time, and this includes a couple of canals that used to be prolific with them, and a pool where the margins used to heaving with tadpoles. Where have they all got to ? Is this just local to parts of the North West or is it Nationwide ?

Reaction score
Still see plenty here this year Mark.

rich66

Reaction score
I saw plenty of tadpoles on a commercial I fished this spring, the water around the edge was black with them. But apart from that I’ve not seen any.
This year I’ve actually found sticklebacks in the brook at the side of our house. Which I’ve not seen for years. But again not seen them anywhere else.
Unlike 40 years ago both where everywhere.

iain t

Reaction score
Am in the S.E, I've only caught a couple in the last few years unlike when i was a kid where there were hundreds. As for Tadpoles, they seem had to find these days too.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The farm ponds and pits are alive with tadpoles here May/early June time..............
tads.jpg

The bad one

Reaction score
One possible reason you are not seeing taddies is that your area may have been hit by a virus that frogs get. Ranavirus which is quit devastating if the local frog population gets it with anything up to a 90% wipe out.
Some of the symptoms are
Drowsiness (lethargy)
Abnormal wasting (emaciation)
Redness of the skin (erythema)
Skin ulcers or sores
Bleeding (systemic haemorrhaging), especially from mouth/****
Breakdown of limbs (limb necrosis)
Eye problems

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
No problem with tadpoles on the club pool the frogs are shall we leave it at rampant .

But Sticklebacks not seen one for at least 30 years used to see them all the time in the local brooks around Smethwick & Bearwood now nothing ...

PG ...

flightliner

Reaction score
I still see sticklebacks on some local ponds and canals but re tadpoles I witnessed a truly remarkable event last June a week or see before the season opened.
I was walking around a lake checking it out for signs of fish and leaning over a fence noticed clouds of mud erupting on the waters surface. On closer observation it turned out to be several sizeable Tench in a feeding frenzy amongst a huge cloud of tadpoles.
Never seen the like before , amazing sight!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Catching sticklebacks was par for the course when fishing the Regents Park canal back in the 50/60's. It never ceased to amaze me that something so small could gorge a single maggot AND take a decent size float under and they were a real pain. They managed to snaffle the bait before the roach, hence the use of hemp, tares and elderberry when in season.
Beautifully coloured, but a pain nonetheless!

In winter, a bunch of maggots or lob worms deterred them to some extent..

The Runner

Reaction score
Ah, Regents Canal and sticklebacks.... fond memories. Once came third in a section of eleven in a Berkshire Winter League at Camley Street with one stickleback that the scalesman had to give me quarter of an ounce for. Was on the wides at York Way and had it first put in on bloodworm. Said to the lad on the next peg that I hoped we wouldn’t get plagued by them all day . We weren’t...